Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Archer is a special talent and a quick learner but he hasn't played much one day cricket for Sussex, so it is a slight risk.  I have faith in Morgan to use him correctly though.

Bairstow, Roy, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Mo, Woakes, Curran, Rashid, Archer would be my team

• Like 1

For South Africa

Roy

Bairstow

Root

Morgan

Buttler

Stokes

Moeen

Woakes

Plunkett

Archer

Rashid

Need to manage Wood’s fitness and I think Thursday/Monday might be too much for him at this stage of his comeback. Save him for the Pakistan game as he had the number on some of their batters in the one ODI he played. Curran, Plunkett and Wood rotate for me - Curran in for Australia and India amongst others.

England will never have a better chance of winning the world cup but somehow I expect them to screw up. Its amazing we have never won it. New Zealand are a good outside bet. 

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

England will never have a better chance of winning the world cup but somehow I expect them to screw up. Its amazing we have never won it. New Zealand are a good outside bet. 

New Zealand are always a dangerous team in a one off game, usually fall apart when come up vs Australia

16 hours ago, PaulC said:

Spoken like a true England fan!

Win this world cup and we'll rightfully be considered one of the great ODI sides of all time. We've absolutely hammered India and Australia in one-dayers of late, and I think they're our main competition. Hopefully we'll get our inevitable awful batting collapse out of the way in the group stages...

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

New Zealand are always a dangerous team in a one off game, usually fall apart when come up vs Australia

Unless the sporting Aussies bowl under-arm of course !

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

So Windies actually good or Pakistan just being terrible?

Hard to tell. Although we beat them comfortably, Pakistan were decent in the one day warm up series. Not seen it yet, but by all accounts the Windies bowling attack was electric (also very happy Archer punted for England, so he's not complementing that attack!). I have no information about the state of the wicket etc, or the conditions, to know if they played any part? Having watched the ODI series in the Caribbean, I'd have also picked them to be up there come the end of the tournament anyway, especially if Gayle is on song. This should make for some exciting matches!

9 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

So Windies actually good or Pakistan just being terrible?

Little from column a, little from column b!

Pakistan always seem to be slow starters at tournaments. Wouldn't like to write them off yet.

Strewth ! What has happened to South Africa ? I really used to like watching them, partly due to the Warks connection with Alan Donald ,Shaun Pollock etc. Plus they have produced some amazing players over the years - e.g. Jonty Rhodes, probably the best fielder I have ever seen. But they look down and out now. Full credit to Bangladesh  though; they've got some cracking players. I THINK they are coached by Steve Rhodes (ex Worcs keeper); I remember him being in trouble for being too aggressive !!!! and possibly didn't get an England chance as a result. Or was it because he didn't play for Surrey, Essex, Sussex etc !!!

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Strewth ! What has happened to South Africa ? I really used to like watching them, partly due to the Warks connection with Alan Donald ,Shaun Pollock etc. Plus they have produced some amazing players over the years - e.g. Jonty Rhodes, probably the best fielder I have ever seen. But they look down and out now. Full credit to Bangladesh  though; they've got some cracking players. I THINK they are coached by Steve Rhodes (ex Worcs keeper); I remember him being in trouble for being too aggressive !!!! and possibly didn't get an England chance as a result. Or was it because he didn't play for Surrey, Essex, Sussex etc !!!

Faf got it completely wrong at the toss. Think there was a little fear there after the England game. Easy to say in hindsight but he gave the post match interview about batting he should have given at the start when winning the toss. 

Not looking great for England at the moment. Haven't really got this innings going. The form of our openers against spin has to be a concern. I'm sure most sides will try an over or two of spin at the start as both Bairstow and Roy have now been out cheaply to spin.

Still time in this game but I suppose if we're going to get a wake up call its better now than at the semi final stage as in the Champions Trophy.

20 hours ago, veloman said:

They've lost a lot of players to county cricket through the Kolpak loophole, plus De Villiers retired and very difficult to replace.  Bangladesh are a handy side nowadays anyway.

Â