Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I don't dispute any of that, but in effect the punishment placed on Warner, which effectively ends his career, is largely the same as that given to Hansie Cronje, who fixed matches for profit. 

33 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I don't dispute any of that, but in effect the punishment placed on Warner, which effectively ends his career, is largely the same as that given to Hansie Cronje, who fixed matches for profit. 

Ends his career? A one year ban and not being allowed to be part of the Australian captaincy is hard, but I fail to see how it ends his career?

He's been such a consistent knob-end over the years that I'm struggling to find any sympathy for the guy...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't piss on Warner if he was on fire, but it seems to me that the effect of the ban is career ending for him especially given his age. 

Nah, he's got another 5 years in him at least. Doubt we'll ever see him in an Australian shirt again though, but there's a pretty strong suggestion that he wasn't even liked by his own team mates so conceivably that could have been happening sooner rather than later anyway.

Once this has blown over he'll absolutely clean up on the T20 circuit.

• Like 2

Guys like Warner are one of the reasons I stopped taking an interest in the cricket. Aussie cricketers are bad losers and even worse winners on the whole so in a way this has been a good outcome. But I think the the ACB has vastly over reacted. A five match ban with another five suspended world have been sufficient. Although I guess if you are an Aussie cricketer you'll be be thinking twice about ball tampering. Especially if you are unlikeable. 

10 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Although I guess if you are an Aussie cricketer you'll be be thinking twice about ball tampering.

Yep, I suspect it will wipe out ball-tampering from the arsenal of Aussies tricks, whereas the ICC punishments for it are perhaps not a huge deterrent.

It's pretty astonishing that Smith saw Warner & Bancroft were up to something, and rather than put his foot down just turned a blind eye. Didn't have the balls to stand up to Warner? Australia will be much weaker without him in the batting line up, but I don't think they'll miss his captaincy. They may even have a happier dressing room as a result of Warner's ban and become a better team for it...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ponky said:

I suggest Warner doesn't hitch a ride in a Hawker Siddeley then. ;)

19 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The bans are manifestly excessive. Outrageous really.

Cricket Australia have buckled under the pressure of media driven public outrage and handed down sanctions that aren't in keeping with the seriousness of the offending nor the punishments for similar offending in the past.

The opposing captain in this very test series has been convicted twice without ever missing a match. I'm not sure how we get from that to 12 month bans.

I've got a bit of sympathy with that view, too.

The ball tampering was bad, and you'd expect maybe a few games ban for each of those implicated - so maybe a few months (depending on when the Aussies next play a series). The lying about it afterwards and the premedited nature of it (taking sandpaper onto the field to do it...etc.) makes it worse than a thumbnail scrath on an unresponsive old ball (though that's still bad).

So though the ICC class ball tampering as a level 2 offence and the sort of theing that would get a short ban, in this instance the people involved made it worse, and then there's also the General behaviour of the Aussie team and the attitude, and also the hypocrisy - all of which have made them unpopular, and I think maybe Cricket Australia want a bit of a reset. SO the individual players have maybe suffered a bit in terms of a stiffer penalty in part because of a bit of a history of stuff.

You can look at either way, really - a year's ban for ball tampering is unprecedented and out of proportion, or when you add all the things up, the lying, the pre-planned cheating, the antagonism, the cover up attempts  - this needs stamping out firmly and a year is now the benchmark.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I bet Joe Root is delighted. He at least as a chance of now becoming the no1 batsman in the World.

No chance. Kohli is light years ahead of him.

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

You can look at either way, really - a year's ban for ball tampering is unprecedented and out of proportion, or when you add all the things up, the lying, the pre-planned cheating, the antagonism, the cover up attempts  - this needs stamping out firmly and a year is now the benchmark.

I think the positive is that every player in the world will now think twice before doing any sort of tampering, which can only be a good thing.

Feel a little sorry for Smith & Bancroft, they've been idiots and they know they've messed up big time. Bancroft had the decency to say he deserves the punishment. But they made their beds, now they can lie in them...

• Like 2

I think there is Kohli, Smith and Williamson, and then Root probably best of the rest. Joe consistently makes runs, but he doesn't produce nearly enough match-winning innings for my liking.

• Like 4

I can't even find the sand paper that I bought and placd in my garage myself.

Where did they get sand paper from in a cricket ground dressing room? Very pre-planned and I can't believe 1) only the 3 punished knew about it and 2) it was the first time they did it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Where did they get sand paper from in a cricket ground dressing room? 

Pretty sure they have sandpaper for bat handles in every cricket dressing room. 

As for the tears by Steve Smith this morning, do me a favour. It's ball tampering not murder. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

I think there is Kohli, Smith and Williamson, and then Root probably best of the rest. Joe consistently makes runs, but he doesn't produce nearly enough match-winning innings for my liking.

Williamson seems hampered stats wise by lack of Tests the Kiwis play compared other nations

Â