Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

The whole Stokes thing looks pretty damming. Whether provoked or not, as England cricketers, he and Hales shouldn't have got themselves in that position. Especially in the world of CCTV and camera phones. Absolutely stupid, and stands a good chance of going to prison I'd think.

Edited by dAVe80

Wouldn't even have him in the squad. 

I don't care about winning, if winning means common thugs playing for your team.

If we let him off (and I think they will), what sort of example does that set for other players, particularly young ones? 

Cut ties now.  Yes, he's a great, great player - but you just cannot let him back in the team after that - provoked or not. 

DO THE RIGHT THING ECB.

I'd rather lose with honour. 

If he wants to sort himself out, become responsible and try and overcome this problem, then give him help.  If that's just the way he is, then I'm sorry, you've got to go - someone else will fill your boots. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Wouldn't even have him in the squad. 

I don't care about winning, if winning means common thugs playing for your team.

If we let him off (and I think they will), what sort of example does that set for other players, particularly young ones? 

Cut ties now.  Yes, he's a great, great player - but you just cannot let him back in the team after that - provoked or not. 

DO THE RIGHT THING ECB.

I'd rather lose with honour. 

If he wants to sort himself out, become responsible and try and overcome this problem, then give him help.  If that's just the way he is, then I'm sorry, you've got to go -

someone else will fill your boots. 

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. A lot of great players have has massive character floors, and some have broken the law in the past. I don't think cutting ties with him completely is the answer, but I'd certainly think twice about taking him to Australia. Although the ECB might not have any choice, if he's in Nick!   

6 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. A lot of great players have has massive character floors, and some have broken the law in the past. I don't think cutting ties with him completely is the answer, but I'd certainly think twice about taking him to Australia. Although the ECB might not have any choice, if he's in Nick!   

I get annoyed at this societies apparent will to forgive famous sports personalities for breaking the law, because they're good at the sport that person likes. 

If that were you or I, and our employers saw that - we'd be given the boot @dAVe80

As I said, if he takes his punishment, works really hard and shows signs and a willingness that this won't happen again, then certainly yes, let him back - a bit like the rehabilitation of any one else. 

I hate doing this dave, but you've discussed social justice on VT in the past, do you think it would be right for him to go and play cricket in Australia for a couple of months, in light of this? Not that money comes into anything, but he'll be earning hundreds of thousands of pounds when really, he should be punished for this behaviour (and it's not the first time!). 

And I apply that to any sports person, not just Stokes.  I find this a great shame because he's a great cricketer - He's just dropped a big bollock and I think he should be punished for it. 

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I get annoyed at this societies apparent will to forgive famous sports personalities for breaking the law, because they're good at the sport that person likes. 

If that were you or I, and our employers saw that - we'd be given the boot @dAVe80

As I said, if he takes his punishment, works really hard and shows signs and a willingness that this won't happen again, then certainly yes, let him back - a bit like the rehabilitation of any one else. 

I hate doing this dave, but you've discussed social justice on VT in the past, do you think it would be right for him to go and play cricket in Australia for a couple of months, in light of this? Not that money comes into anything, but he'll be earning hundreds of thousands of pounds when really, he should be punished for this behaviour (and it's not the first time!). 

And I apply that to any sports person, not just Stokes.  I find this a great shame because he's a great cricketer - He's just dropped a big bollock and I think he should be punished for it. 

I think you've misinterpreted what I said (and looking back at your post, I think I did the same, so apologies for that). I'm saying I probably wouldn't take him to Australia, and that he's got no defense for his actions, and deserves the full punishment. However I don't think this should be the end of his cricket career, if (like you said) he takes him punishment, and comes out of it having learned a massive lesson and wants to make amends. I kind of see where you're going with what you're saying, but it's not really a social justice issue, although I do believe in rehabilitation, and getting second chances.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I think you've misinterpreted what I said (and looking back at your post, I think I did the same, so apologies for that). I'm saying I probably wouldn't take him to Australia, and that he's got no defense for his actions, and deserves the full punishment. However I don't think this should be the end of his cricket career, if (like you said) he takes him punishment, and comes out of it having learned a massive lesson and wants to make amends. I kind of see where you're going with what you're saying, but it's not really a social justice issue, although I do believe in rehabilitation, and getting second chances.  

agreed! :thumb: 

• Like 1

I think we should be a little careful about making a call on whether actions are criminal in the light of a minute's worth of CCTV footage obtained and shown (for not much other than financial gain) by the Sun.

That being said, I think the statement we're supposed to be getting later may well see him being left out of the tour party. I'd be disappointed if it doesn't - and that demonstrates the effect on me of the Sun broadcasting the footage they obtained rather than just handing it over to the police.

As far as him playing for England beyond the short term goes, I think that's up to the ECB to go through a proper disciplinary procedure and assess for themselves (on a lower burden of proof than necessary for a criminal conviction, obviously) the level of unnacceptability of his behaviour. I think they should look at whether this incident is part of a pattern or whether it's a one-off and something which he regrets and won't repeat. If they come to the conclusion that it's the former then they should bin him until/unless he can demonstrate to them that he has changed, if they come to the conclusion that it's the latter then they can decide to treat him differently. Criminal charges would affect the practicality of what they could do, I imagine (in terms of any bail conditions, for example); a criminal conviction would certainly change things (i.e. they'd struggle to hold a discplinary view that was contrary to anything that came out in a trial that ended up with a conviction).

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes, Alex Hales.  He's always come across a bit of a tit.

**** hell. He seems to be getting away fairly lightly. Stokes certainly seems to have been the main aggressor (along with the guy who swings at them with a bottle!) but Hales's actions are shocking as well. Who the **** kicks someone when they're on the floor? He waits for someone to hit the deck, puts the boot in then backs off. Potential for serious damage there. Absolute word removed. 

theres supposedly another video of him thats coming that shows him pulling a face and repeating harvey price's "hello you word removed" under the headline that he mocks disabled people

if thats true i personally dont see it as mocking him but he wont get away with it with what else has happened

8 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

sure in the old days they might have send him to Oz ;)

• Like 2

Â