Adblockers - please click ×
NICKTHEFISH

Android: General Chat

Not convinced by it all yet, I think two seperated screens is more practical like the new windows surface phone/tablet thing just announced. Looks far more usable but they need to bring the size down a touch as it's still too big to be used as a phone. Looks like the galaxy fold but with a thin bezel through the middle instead of a horrible looking bubbly plastic seam. 

On 24/09/2019 at 16:41, Davkaus said:

Anyone tempted by a Fold?

Love the idea and for future iterations I'll have my eyes on one, or at least a cheaper knock off version of it.

£2,000/£110 per month for a phone that you can easily scratch with your fingernail though? No thanks. I'd love to see the state of one after a 24 month contract term expires.

Not so far no. All reviews have said they’re way too heavy. Any sort of visible crease would piss me off too. I do like the idea of them, but I don’t want to carry a phone that heavy, and if I want to watch a film or something on the train I take my ipad. 

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Not so far no. All reviews have said they’re way too heavy. Any sort of visible crease would piss me off too. I do like the idea of them, but I don’t want to carry a phone that heavy, and if I want to watch a film or something on the train I take my ipad. 

I don't think the crease would both me, but my use case is very different from yours. I have no interest in watching films on that kind of form factor. It's mostly a productivity device for me. More screens means I can be checking a document while I respond to a mail, which is a winner.

Since I posted that, Microsoft have given us a sneak peak of one of the devices they're launching next year, and I'm in.

Image result for surface duo

This probably looks dreadful for what you'd be looking for, but it seems fantastic for multi-tasking.

Yes, that looks decent.  Essentially a folding iPad, but with the ability to use different screens.  Much more use than a flding phone I'd have thought.  My immediate thought is "watch the game on one side, read the match thread on the other side"!

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Since I posted that, Microsoft have given us a sneak peak of one of the devices they're launching next year, and I'm in.

This probably looks dreadful for what you'd be looking for, but it seems fantastic for multi-tasking.

And it will run Android. The kernel of which Microsoft used to describe as "a cancer". Funny old world.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

And it will run Android. The kernel of which Microsoft used to describe as "a cancer". Funny old world.

It is. I actually like Microsoft more than Google these days. I trust them more, they seem more pro-consumer, and they certainly support their products better.

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It is. I actually like Microsoft more than Google these days. I trust them more, they seem more pro-consumer, and they certainly support their products better.

Any examples? They abandoned Windows Mobile. They broke their own rules about security patches not forcing version upgrades. I don't trust either of them much, but product wise they are very similar.

I've got a weird issue

When filling out forms on my phone (S10+, Gboard) when I move down a line, the previous word will also add in to the next line.

So, if I write Ellis Road.

Ellis will appear in the next line.

Also, I just searched Godzilla on Amazon, then deleted that search and wrote Zelda, and when I hit space of added Godzilla!

Any ideas?

Check your keyboard settings, most likely you have it set to insert the middle prediction upon pressing space. 

20 hours ago, V01 said:

Check your keyboard settings, most likely you have it set to insert the middle prediction upon pressing space. 

Doesn't seem to be 😞

Not sure if this is the correct topic to post this in but im trying to figure a way of automatically turning my wifi off on my phone when I connect via bluetooth to my car.   I thought maybe IFTTT might be the way to do it but can't figure it out.  Any ideas?

40 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Not sure if this is the correct topic to post this in but im trying to figure a way of automatically turning my wifi off on my phone when I connect via bluetooth to my car.   I thought maybe IFTTT might be the way to do it but can't figure it out.  Any ideas?

Take a look at MacroDroid. Back in the day, Tasker and Llama were useful for things like this but I don't know if they are still maintained.

You might be able to ask assistant to do it if you can't do it automatically.

I use MacroDroid to turn on and off WiFi when I leave and arrive at home and work. 

• Thanks 1

I've just set it up so I'll test the macros tomorrow. Thanks again @limpid 👍

Yeah that worked perfectly.  Thanks again!

Can anyone recommend a good mobile security app for android? There are plenty listed in the store but I don't trust the star ratings. Cheers!

10 hours ago, dubbs said:

Can anyone recommend a good mobile security app for android? There are plenty listed in the store but I don't trust the star ratings. Cheers!

You don't need one. Never allow software to be installed from "entrusted sources" and you already have all the protection you need.

Do you have a particular concern?

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You don't need one. Never allow software to be installed from "entrusted sources" and you already have all the protection you need.

Do you have a particular concern?

Yeah I had a text which looked Russian from a number called Verify.  I didn't open it and deleted it.  Phone seemed quite laggy afterwards. Probably nothing but just thought I'd ask.

15 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Yeah I had a text which looked Russian from a number called Verify.  I didn't open it and deleted it.  Phone seemed quite laggy afterwards. Probably nothing but just thought I'd ask.

Android is always checking itself and the apps that are installed (even if they have been installed from somewhere dodgy). It's much more likely that the OS and Play will find anything bad before something that you pay for. If you aren't sure, factory reset. Make sure all your stuff is continuously backed up to your Google account and make sure you use a good password manager (Chrome and Android's built in one is fine for this).

Oh, and try not to use a phone once it's out of its support life (usually two years). A good reason to buy a Pixel (which get three). It's one of the few areas where Apple devices beat Android devices.

• Thanks 1

Â