Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The Desire is a much better phone than the X10 because of Android 2.1 and HTC Sense.

Once SE get the 2.1 or even 2.2 update out to the X10 it should be fairly similar.

The 2.1 os isn't that much of an advantage. Sony will be releasing 2.1 or 2.2 for the X10 soon enough.

X10 is the bst phone because it has 8.1 mp camera and has the biggest screen, also looks nicer too, only drawback is software which will be fixed soon. Other than that it's the best out there imo, thats why I picked it over HTC.

I've had a good go with both. The HTC has the better feel and build quality because well, it's HTC. The X10 is let down by the lack of the trackball, 3 home screens and slightly unattractive default theme. My brother is considering selling his to get a Desire but is holding off due to the imminent ability to root it and install a community rom. After coming from an iPhone he loves Android but hates SE's implementation of it.

Aye I've tried both as well, when I was reading into what phone to get the x10 was ahead of the desire, but having tried both of them there's simply no contest. The x10 felt laggy and unresponsive, and the default ui was pretty ugly, whereas the desire responds instantly, and HTC's senseui is pure awesomeness.

SE are only just starting with Android and are discovering how to make it perform. HTC are old masters and manage to make Android even better with their tweaks.

Aye. It's going to be interesting to see how things change over time, when everyone else catches up with HTC. Then we'll have SE, Nokia, Dell, Samsung, all the major players putting out android phones and it'll drive competition to a ridiculous level.

The really awesome thing though, is that we've got choice. We can disagree what phones are best, which ones run faster, which has the better ui, but when it comes down to it, we're all running the same apps, the same underlying os, and can get pretty much the same experience with apps on many different phones. Whereas them lot in the iphone thread are tied into their proprietary hardware, unable to run anything apple dislikes, with apple being able to withdraw their favourite apps at the turn of a hat.

When 2.2 hits and we all get flash 10.1 things are just going to get better as well. I can't see how iphone will have anywhere near the same market share it has today in 12 months. The diversity in android handsets it's going to be massive, something iphone will never be able to have, so it'll cater for more tastes than those that just like a rectangular block with a huge screen.

It's on pocket-lint.com, ill copy the link when I get a pc.

Obviously we wont have the 4g network, but its still a very very shiny gadget.

So what's the best andrioid with a proper qwerty keyboard?

If you're not interested in rooting and the mod community then probably the Motorola Droid. I still reckon the G1 is a great phone rooted though and very cheap now. HTC are doing a new MyTouch Slide (espresso) which should be nice http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide-gets-official-04-05-2010/

Upgrade time next week and O2 bang on schedule have taken the HTC Desire and I am seriously tempted to ditch my iphone and get one.

After having 3 windows mobiles and half the time on XDA Id like to be able to do a bit of customising which is just not possible with the iphone.

So its Desire or 3GS, not going to wait for the new iphone as thats going to cost big time.

So what's the best andrioid with a proper qwerty keyboard?

If you're not interested in rooting and the mod community then probably the Motorola Droid. I still reckon the G1 is a great phone rooted though and very cheap now. HTC are doing a new MyTouch Slide (espresso) which should be nice http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide-gets-official-04-05-2010/

I echo the Motorola Droid/Milestone. Fantastic phone. Fast, flawless and uses 2.1

A month ago I wanted a Desire. For the past week I've been sure I want a Nexus One. Now I want an Evo.

I might just stick with my trusty two year old Blackberry instead of wasting money upgrading for something when I'll be casting envious glances at the new model in a couple of weeks. I didn't realise just how quickly the smartphone market changes.

The Desire, and Nexus one are near enough identical technically, the Nexus one just has a noise cancelling microphone. Essentially the Desire is the HTC branded version of the nexus one. The real benefit of the nexus one though is you're always going to have zero day updates on it, whereas the desire will lag behind whilst HTC update their addons for it (something that is going to change soon as android's roadmap has the seperation of the vendor and core os layers, so it'll be easier to push out future updates).

The Evo isn't really much better than either of those, just 4g (which is zero benefit to anyone in this country) and 8mp camera rather than 5. Other than that it's essentially the same.

It's just really a matter of which one you think looks better, there's no huge technological differences between them, they're all using the same 1ghz snapdragon processor, apps will run equally well on all 3.

The sense UI is lovely though. HTC have got that in their favour. I'm pretty sure my next smartphone will be a HTC one.

Aye, I'm in love with it, it's awesome. I've long been a fan of HTC, it's nice to see that they're finally getting the recognition they deserve instead of just wholesaling vendor badged phones (like the xda).

I've been reading up on the android SDK today, it's amazingly simple to code for. I'd love to have a go at putting together an app for it... I just fail at getting any ideas on what sort of app!

Aye, I'm in love with it, it's awesome. I've long been a fan of HTC, it's nice to see that they're finally getting the recognition they deserve instead of just wholesaling vendor badged phones (like the xda).

I've been reading up on the android SDK today, it's amazingly simple to code for. I'd love to have a go at putting together an app for it... I just fail at getting any ideas on what sort of app!

Hows about an App based on Tits, fanny and Villa!

Have the figured out the multi touch on the X10 yet though? Without that, its a dealbreaker instantly for me.

How on earth could multi touch be a deal breaker. What on earth is it for other than zooming? Dealbreaker??? Madness. Your smartphone priorities are crazy.

The really awesome thing though, is that we've got choice. We can disagree what phones are best, which ones run faster, which has the better ui, but when it comes down to it, we're all running the same apps, the same underlying os, and can get pretty much the same experience with apps on many different phones. .

Thats exactly it, personal prefrence. I was between between the X10 and Desire, I felt my priorities were with the hardware of the X10, it has the biggest screen it has an 8.1mp camera and it looks nicer. The drawback was 1.6, which I could live with as software updates will be out this year.

Â