Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

I'm in the same upgrade boat. Well, actually I could upgrade tomorrow if I wanted as I'm on a SIM only month to month contract, but I want a new phone.  Nexus 6 is still the phone I'm most interested in, I'll wait on reviews for that.  If not, then the 2014 Moto X is probably second on my list, just a shame about it's supposedly weak battery life. 

• VT Supporter

I don't see why anyone would buy a N6 over the Z3?

Z3 has the much better camera, battery life is supposedly very good, it's waterproof, dust-proof, and is £100-150 cheaper. You can also connect your PS4 controller to it and Remote play your PS4.

I say this as a N5 owner, there's no way I'm getting the N6 at that price.

Edited by villarule123

Z3 has the much better camera, battery life is supposedly very good, it's waterproof, dust-proof, and is £100-150 cheaper. You can also connect your PS4 controller to it and Remote play your PS4.

The Z3 is compelling too.  Not sure about your camera claims, the N6 camera hasn't been tested yet and the optical image stabilisation might be a huge deal, especially in low light.  My concern is Sony abandoning the Z3, my dad had an Xperia Arc a couple of years ago.  Gorgeous hardware, but Sony abandoned it after they released it.  They may be better now but the Z2 was only released in April and was succeeded by the Z3 in September. I'd be annoyed by that if I were a Z2 owner on a two year contract, not that it makes the Z2 a worse phone today but again it suggests to me that Sony don't support their flagship devices.  On the other hand, my Nexus 4, which is two years old at this point is running the latest version of Android (4.4.4) and will be getting L when that is released too. Nexus phones run stock Android, they get the best support from Google and of course, they are the hardware which the Android software is designed to work with. That's why my last two phones have been Nexus devices and it's why I am most interested in the 6. I just need to see it to figure out if the size will be too much for me or not. 

Was just about to pre order the One plus One, but thought I'd drop in here first.

So, does anybody have an invite I could have please? Not expecting a positive response, but thought I'd ask.

Failing that, does anybody have experience of one. How do you find it?

• VT Supporter

The Z3 is compelling too.  Not sure about your camera claims, the N6 camera hasn't been tested yet and the optical image stabilisation might be a huge deal, especially in low light.  My concern is Sony abandoning the Z3, my dad had an Xperia Arc a couple of years ago.  Gorgeous hardware, but Sony abandoned it after they released it.  They may be better now but the Z2 was only released in April and was succeeded by the Z3 in September. I'd be annoyed by that if I were a Z2 owner on a two year contract, not that it makes the Z2 a worse phone today but again it suggests to me that Sony don't support their flagship devices.  On the other hand, my Nexus 4, which is two years old at this point is running the latest version of Android (4.4.4) and will be getting L when that is released too. Nexus phones run stock Android, they get the best support from Google and of course, they are the hardware which the Android software is designed to work with. That's why my last two phones have been Nexus devices and it's why I am most interested in the 6. I just need to see it to figure out if the size will be too much for me or not. 

Sony stepped up on the update front, My Ultra (not Gpe) is on 4.4.4 (about a month and a half after the nexus devices) and will get Lollypop. It's almost a year and a half old phone. Pisses on Samsung from a great hight

I spent ages deciding between new phones and actually got to test a few out before buying.  If it was me I would get either the LG G3 or the M8.  They were the best phones out there for me.  Z3 was great but I didn't like the look and feel of it.

• VT Supporter

Was just about to pre order the One plus One, but thought I'd drop in here first.

So, does anybody have an invite I could have please? Not expecting a positive response, but thought I'd ask.

Failing that, does anybody have experience of one. How do you find it?

I've heard horror stories on G+ about the OnePlus One. People having them break and being unable to get hold of the manufacturer. No direct experience myself, I'd just have a look around.

I need to replace my ageing Nexus 7 and had thought the Nexus 9 would be the perfect replacement, but the lack of any retailers in the UK even saying they will stock them at some point has but doubt in my mind.

I dont mind the 4:3 ratio I think for what you use it for Apple was right, however how are the apps going to rescale to that form factor, how many have been coded properly in the first place to automatically adjust - or am I going to have a tablet that unless you are on the web is going to look pretty horrible for at least a couple of months.

Then you start looking at the apps available for other platforms and to be honest that market is far more mature. Just look at what you can get on the ipad if you a sky user and then look at the offering they serve up for android users - its night and day.

With the cut in prices for refurb ipads that Apple currently have its not so clear cut.

You would hope that withintroduction of Lollipop that Android on Tablets would be taken a little more seriously by developers but time will tell.

I always wonder why iOS seems to be the priority for app developers.

Not that I'm an expert or anything. I'm just going by apps always seemingly available with iOS first and Android second (or not at all).

Also the same with stuff like media in cars. It always seems to be geared towards compatibility with iOS devices with Android as an afterthought. I know that's the case with my car (with iOS you get album covers and the like on the car's screen and you can control all your music from the car's controls. With Android you just get track name and no control over the music).

It's also the case for the cars we (my company) manufacture.

With Android being easily the highest market share, and from what limpid has said with iOS being markedly more difficult to develop apps for, why do developers seem to focus on iOS so much?

That's a real question. I have no idea and there may be a perfectly rational explanation But I'm genuinely curious.

Piracy is rampant on Android and a lot of people who have Android phones are people like my mum and my wife who will never spend a penny on the app store.  The potential market is bigger on Android but it's reliably bigger in iOS. I'm sure sales figures of apps reflect this which is why apps always go to iOS first.  

• Like 2

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â