Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The Evo 4G phone will not work in UK because its for CDMA/Wimax networks, which we don't have here.

The HTC Incredible known as HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon network in America is also very similar to HTC Desire though it does have a better camera and looks slightly better, spec wise it's the same but it won't work here in UK either because its not a GSM phone.

Going back to the topic, HTC Desire is an awesome phone and it's good to see HTC advertising it here in UK. I think this is the first phone from there which they are marketing really hard in UK.

Doesnt surprise me. They have had Android 1.5 running on a HTC Touch HD too, which is a Windows Mobile phone. A smartphone is essentially a small computer and people seem to love the challenge of getting alternative operating systems running on other computers.

As this thread is basically the Google Android thread now (perhaps a mod could change the title?) then I guess this is newsworthy enough to stick in here. Android 2.2: 450% faster than 2.1?

If that is true then it's quite incredible. I assume 2.2 will be pushed out onto the Desire asap too.

Doesnt surprise me. They have had Android 1.5 running on a HTC Touch HD too, which is a Windows Mobile phone. A smartphone is essentially a small computer and people seem to love the challenge of getting alternative operating systems running on other computers.

As this thread is basically the Google Android thread now (perhaps a mod could change the title?) then I guess this is newsworthy enough to stick in here. Android 2.2: 450% faster than 2.1?

If that is true then it's quite incredible. I assume 2.2 will be pushed out onto the Desire asap too.

That's awesome.

I'm hoping HTC have got their arses in gear when it comes to updates (they've been VERY slow in getting 2.1 out to older devices) and they'll get this pushed out soon.

The desire apparently has an update in the works that'll enable divx playback and 720p recording, so hopefully they'll push the 2.2 update out with that, and it won't be too long.

You'd think they would want it to land at the same time the new iPhone comes out.

I have all but given up hope of getting 2.1 on my HTC Hero. They just seem to keep delaying the update until the point where everybody has upgraded to a different handset. November 2009, February 2010, March 2010, April 2010 are all dates which have been promised and nothing has happened. June is the next date they have pencilled in, probably so they can tell us all in June that it is delayed until October.

You'd think they would want it to land at the same time the new iPhone comes out.

I have all but given up hope of getting 2.1 on my HTC Hero. They just seem to keep delaying the update until the point where everybody has upgraded to a different handset. November 2009, February 2010, March 2010, April 2010 are all dates which have been promised and nothing has happened. June is the next date they have pencilled in, probably so they can tell us all in June that it is delayed until October.

Why not just root your Hero? I've been running a community ROM on my dream ever since I had it. Now got 2.1 and as soon as it's viable 2.2 will be available.

Because I looked at an online guide in how to root the Hero and it assumes a level of knowledge I just dont have. It might as well be written in Chinese for all the use it is to me.

Ooh and now Microsoft have released some details about the new Mobile Windows 7 phones called kin. (I may be late to the party on this one, and it's not about Android, so mods feel free to move/delete; I thought I'd put it here as this thread is less about championing one type of phone and more about debating pros and cons)

Aanyway, the website is nice and if the phone is as good as they promise, well, exciting times abound for smartphone purchasers. So many choices...

Microsoft have burned a lot of good will by people who foolishly bought WinMo 6 only to find it was a bloated and complicated piece of shit. My dad has the misfortune to own a Windows Mobile and it's bloody awful. I doubt he will ever buy another one, and he tries to talk anybody who will listen out of buying one too. Kin will have to be 'kin spectacular to win people over.

I decided to go with the SE Xperia X10 and I gotta say what an amazing 'phone'.

The interenet is as fast as you will get for a long time, 8.1 mega pixel camera with HD Recording (next update).

I downloaded an update for google maps this morning, the update was 3.4 meg, it downloaded the update in abour 5 seconds and installed it in about 5 seconds too. 10 seconds for the whole thing, even my PC would struggle with that!

The touchscreen is a little sluggish compared to the IPhone (I got an IPod Touch so it's easy to compare).

The Android market feels as good as Apples andf I think will surpass that eventually.

At the moment, i think the Xperia X10 is the most powerful phone around.

I had a Nokia N97 for a few days and thought it was useless, way to slow (the specs will help me on that one).

At the moment, i think the Xperia X10 is the most powerful phone around.
It's not.

Spec wise it's near enough identical to the HTC Desire, but it's held back by only running android 1.6 so it loses out on a lot of the performance updates that have come since then.

It's a good phone, but given the choice between the X10 and the Desire, I'd take the Desire every time.

Hopefully both phones will get updated to android 2.2 when it's released.

Have the figured out the multi touch on the X10 yet though? Without that, its a dealbreaker instantly for me.

Oh, and - a shamelessly pro Android blog points out that 2.2 is bringing tethering to the party (I'm sure the networks will do everything they can to block that, but the customers will get what they want eventually).

Have the figured out the multi touch on the X10 yet though? Without that, its a dealbreaker instantly for me.

Oh, and - a shamelessly pro Android blog points out that 2.2 is bringing tethering to the party (I'm sure the networks will do everything they can to block that, but the customers will get what they want eventually).

The X10 will not ever have multi touch, but I fail to see how that makes it a worse phone.

Benchmarks already say the X10 is a faster phone then the Desire.

No doubt tho, the Desire and X10 are the most powerful out there.

The touchscreen is a little sluggish compared to the IPhone (I got an IPod Touch so it's easy to compare).

I actually found the touchscreen not fit for purpose on the x10. The weird thing was that the x10 mini suffered none of that.

And limpid, leaving the N900? The ultimate geek phone ;-)

The Desire is a much better phone than the X10 because of Android 2.1 and HTC Sense.

Once SE get the 2.1 or even 2.2 update out to the X10 it should be fairly similar.

I've had tethering on my G1 for over a year, didn't realise 2.1+ didn't have it anyway. My phone becomes a wifi router and I just connect my netbook to it over wireless. Use it on hols and it's great.

There's nothing that's a load better than a rooted G1 coming out for a long time though so I'll stick with that until something HTC with a QWERTY and maybe Froyo comes out. Or get a cheap Nexus 1(!).

And limpid, leaving the N900? The ultimate geek phone ;-)

I'm not planning to get rid, but I'm disappointed with the input Nokia have made since it launched. Besides, I'll try anything that's not locked in,

I got a Sony Experia X10 the day it came out last month. I love it, I love Android. People are complaining that you cant get paid apps yet in Ireland. I downloaded ever single app you can buy from bittorrent and put them all on my sd card. I no longer search the market for apps I search my phone.

I hate Apple and never buy their products. They try to control you too much. I love Android and the idea of open source OS.

The Desire is a much better phone than the X10 because of Android 2.1 and HTC Sense.

Once SE get the 2.1 or even 2.2 update out to the X10 it should be fairly similar.

The 2.1 os isn't that much of an advantage. Sony will be releasing 2.1 or 2.2 for the X10 soon enough.

X10 is the bst phone because it has 8.1 mp camera and has the biggest screen, also looks nicer too, only drawback is software which will be fixed soon. Other than that it's the best out there imo, thats why I picked it over HTC.

Â