Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Android cleanup apps. There are loads of them, and the built-in utility on my Huawei P9 Lite is fine, but...  

I have auto-update of apps set to operate when phone is plugged in (i.e. overtnight), and as often as not, something will fail due to lack of space. So I go through the routine of clearing cache, deleting junk files, etc. and that's normally enough. But why can't it just be set to do that automatically, if an update needs it? 

I know you can get various task schedulers, but they all seem to be overkill, when all I want it to do is this one thing. Run the download. Not enough space? Oh, right, do the tidy up routine, and try again. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Android cleanup apps. There are loads of them, and the built-in utility on my Huawei P9 Lite is fine, but...  

I have auto-update of apps set to operate when phone is plugged in (i.e. overtnight), and as often as not, something will fail due to lack of space. So I go through the routine of clearing cache, deleting junk files, etc. and that's normally enough. But why can't it just be set to do that automatically, if an update needs it? 

I know you can get various task schedulers, but they all seem to be overkill, when all I want it to do is this one thing. Run the download. Not enough space? Oh, right, do the tidy up routine, and try again. 

I've not had an error like that in years - probably since Android 2.x. What do you keep on your phone that it can run out of space?

I've never installed a "cleanup app", not on any of the huge number of phones I've used, so I can't offer any suggestions.

19 hours ago, limpid said:

I've not had an error like that in years - probably since Android 2.x. What do you keep on your phone that it can run out of space?

I've never installed a "cleanup app", not on any of the huge number of phones I've used, so I can't offer any suggestions.

Apps, probably. Music is all on the SD card. 

Screenshot_20180705-133409.png

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Apps, probably. Music is all on the SD card. 

Even the spotify cache? (If you use it that is). It takes up a truckload and can be moved to the SD-card

6 hours ago, Tegis said:

Even the spotify cache? (If you use it that is). It takes up a truckload and can be moved to the SD-card

Don't have Spotify (used to, but didn't use it much, so got rid). 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm in the market for a new phone, my HTC one m8 has served me well but it is beginning to die a death getting slow and poor battery performance.

I know nothing about the current market so looking for some help.

Most important things to me are battery life, a nice size and resolution display (I'd like something similar or bigger to the 5.3"on the m8 as i frequently stream tv/videos on the go) and a good build quality.

Don't take enough photos to care much about a camera.

I don't know if anything on the market at the moment is built like the m8 as its basically indestructible and has lasted me 4 and a half years but that'd be ideal.

Planning to buy the phone outright as already have a good contract. Budget is pretty flexible.

10 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

I'm in the market for a new phone, my HTC one m8 has served me well but it is beginning to die a death getting slow and poor battery performance.

Most important things to me are battery life, a nice size and resolution display (I'd like something similar or bigger to the 5.3"on the m8 as i frequently stream tv/videos on the go) and a good build quality.

I don't know if anything on the market at the moment is built like the m8 as its basically indestructible and has lasted me 4 and a half years but that'd be ideal.

Planning to buy the phone outright as already have a good contract. Budget is pretty flexible.

Now that Google have announced the Pixel3, the Pixel2 should drop price-wise. I have the original Pixel. It's 2 years old now but still feels like new. Highly recommended and updates are fast

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

If you can find a OnePlus 5 or 5T definitely go for that. They should be sub-$400 right now. I've had the 3 for 2 years now and it feels like a brand new phone. It's also getting the Android P update soon which is unheard of for a 2 year old phone. Add to the fact that I've dropped it god knows how many times and it hasn't even hiccuped. 

If your budget is even higher, the new OnePlus 6 is excellent, and the 6T is going to be released within the next month. There are going to be some quirks with that one like no headphone jack, no fingerprint reader (there's reportedly an in-glass one).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dick said:

What's the best messaging (texts etc) app? I've got the SGS8, and want to find one to replace the standard messaging app already on there.

~Plus, what other Android apps do I need? 

"Messages" from Google LLC.

It depends what you want to do.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2018 at 19:53, Dick said:

What's the best messaging (texts etc) app? I've got the SGS8, and want to find one to replace the standard messaging app already on there.

~Plus, what other Android apps do I need? 

The standard Android messaging app (not the Samsung one), should be on the Play Store as @limpid mentions.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Is there a decent music app that can handle playlists, allow song rating, display lyrics etc. ?

ditto podcasts?  Auto fetch new podcasts, delete them when heard that kind of thing

I use Google Play Music, but I don't " rate" tracks or want to read lyrics so i don't know about those.

I use  Doggcatcher for podcasts. It does everything you describe. and syncs current positions across devices. I've been using it for years and there might be something better.

Both work with Chromecast too.

• Like 1

The podcast app was going to be my question. The Google app doesn't seem to let me choose a sleep time for the podcast. 

I've downloaded the messaging app, thank you.

Are there any good photo editing apps? 

How do I get Google news on my Samsung when I swipe right? I used to have it all there on my work android phone.

48 minutes ago, Dick said:

How do I get Google news on my Samsung when I swipe right? I used to have it all there on my work android phone.

You need to try another launcher if you don't like the Samsung one. Check the review sites - I use Nova. Your old phone may have used the stock Google launcher.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

You need to try another launcher if you don't like the Samsung one. Check the review sites - I use Nova. Your old phone may have used the stock Google launcher.

I used to use Nova, might swing back to that. It's been a while though! Thanks Limpid.

9 hours ago, blandy said:

Is there a decent music app that can handle playlists, allow song rating, display lyrics etc. ?

ditto podcasts?  Auto fetch new podcasts, delete them when heard that kind of thing

Pretty sure Spotify does all of those things.

59 minutes ago, blandy said:

Can it play songs loaded on from a computer rather than on the go?

Not sure what you mean, do you mean can it play local files transferred from the computer? If so, then no.

But you can download songs on the app for offline usage if that's what you intend it for. Or is it for songs that aren't on the Spotify catalogue?

• Like 1

Â