Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

7 hours ago, Dick said:

Looking for a premium Android phone for around £300. Any suggestions? 

Still saying original Pixel.

Found out last week that when you have one of them you get unlimited storage on Google photos at original sizes for both video and pics. Not the shrunken variety you get when using other android or Apple phones

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tegis said:

Still saying original Pixel.

Found out last week that when you have one of them you get unlimited storage on Google photos at original sizes for both video and pics. Not the shrunken variety you get when using other android or Apple phones

I’ll look into it, cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

One Plus 6 is going to have a notch.
One Plus 6 will not be purchased by me.

Links? They'd said previously that it wouldn't, so is it a tiny one?

I found this https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/28/17152840/oneplus-6-notch-size-android-flagship where they've actually talked to oneplus:

The next OnePlus flagship phone will have a notch in its display, and above is the first official image of it, provided exclusively to The Verge. OnePlus, still the darling of many Android enthusiasts, was alarmed by the vociferous chorus of disapproval directed at new smartphones launching at Mobile World Congress this year with notched displays. So the company reached out to me, as one of the louder critics of the notch trend, to try to make its case for why that change in design is a good thing and why its next phone release will be more than just another iPhone copycat.

So just like Apple, they are all following the Essential handset.

• Like 1

They were bound to have one, despite their claims of having their own design language, and being a plucky little start up, their phones are just whatever Oppo has just released, with slightly beefed up internals. They'll use whatever design they're given.

I can almost forgive the notch on the iPhone X, they've got a hell of a lot of sensors in that notch, and they've also got rid of the bottom bezel by bending the screen  under the bottom edge, which is pretty clever, giving the phone minimal bezel. 

Having the notch and the bottom chin, as all of the Android notched phones do, just seems a bit silly.

I think my next phone is going to be the Nokia 7 plus. No notch, still has a headphone jack, pretty sizable battery, and Nokia are establishing a really good record of keeping their phones up to date.

Edited by Davkaus

54 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yep.

A big meh from me. Not a fan. 

I would probably have pre-ordered (and still might), but I'd like to see how it's going to work in practice first. How well does Oreo support notches natively?

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

How well does Oreo support notches natively?

It doesn't. Notch support is coming in P.

Unless the specific phone has a skin that handles notifications and status bar icon overflow, they may just be lost. 

You'd hope OxygenOS would deal with this without waiting for Android P, though.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Sorry if this has been asked before in this group, but what is the general opinion of Huawei phones?

My upgrade date is coming up in the next week or so, and I was originally looking at the new Sony XZ2 handset, but the P20 Pro seems like quite a bit more phone for a similar contract spend based on my layman understanding.

My main requirement of the phone is battery life and good storage, as I drive for work and so Spotify is heavily used. I'm also in a couple of Xbox online leagues so I have GroupMe running along with WhatsApp quite a lot. I'm not a big photo taker, so a camera isn't the be all and end all really.

What do you guys think?

Your requirements aside: Huawei phones have excellent hardware, at much more affordable prices than the more mainstream providers. the main downside, in my book, is that they have a heavily skinned version of Android, which is a bit iOS-y. The look and feel of the software is going to be a bit different to what you're used to. This isn't a big deal to a lot of people, of course.

The P20 Pro has a hefty premium due to its amazing camera. The XZ2 has a high premium because...Sony. For either of these phones, you're going to be paying probably £800+ over the course of a couple of years.

If that's literally all you do, I think either of those are overkill. If you have the cash free and you want something shiny and luxurious, pick whichever you prefer the look of, but if you need a new phone and you're not a power user, consider a more mid-range device from the likes of Motorola or Nokia (The Nokia 8 can be had for about £225 with cashback, now, and it's last year's flagship spec).

Or even just stick with your current phone and get a SIM only deal in the region of £10 a month and save yourself hundreds. Don't be tricked in to upgrading because you 'need to' just because your contract is up.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I've not heard anything bad about Huawei. As they use their own chipset it's hard to measure them against snapdragon phones. One has to rely on benchmarks to get a feel for how fast they are in comparison.

The Zx2 is absolutely top of the line performance wise and has all the new internals. The only released phone with the Snapdragon 845 as far as I know.

My guess is there will be very little between them. Pick the one with the features you like, and in this case, the size

• Like 1

Thank you both for the feedback.

It helps to know I'm not choosing between two options with massive red flags. This is the longest I've stuck with an old handset which is maybe why I'm more enticed by something new and shiny!

• 1 month later...

What has happened to the state of Android tablet.....

My Nexus 9 is on its last legs and the suitable replacements are pretty scarce. Samsung are probably the best choice but you are paying a awful lot more than the price of a new iPad and even as an android fan that's a very hard sell.

Edited by mykeyb
Error

17 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

What has happened to the state of Android tablet.....

My Nexus 9 is on its last legs and the suitable replacements are pretty scarce. Samsung are probably the best choice but you are paying a awful lot more than the price of a new iPad and even as an android fan that's a very hard sell.

I upgraded to an Asus Chromebook. I now have two.

Ordered two OnePlus 6 today. One from o2 (sim only) which I'm picking up in store tomorrow. In case it doesn't arrive tomorrow (no confirmation email) I've ordered one direct too.

46 minutes ago, limpid said:

I upgraded to an Asus Chromebook. I now have two.

Ordered two OnePlus 6 today. One from o2 (sim only) which I'm picking up in store tomorrow. In case it doesn't arrive tomorrow (no confirmation email) I've ordered one direct too.

Why do you want/need 2 laptops and 2 of the same mobile?

Just now, Genie said:

Why do you want/need 2 laptops and 2 of the same mobile?

One replaced my laptop, the other replaced my tablet. Having a 12" tablet was cool, but too heavy.

I'll return or cancel one of the phones.

• Like 1

Â