Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

My OnePlus One has had an odd fault appear. The headphone socket suddenly stopped working, and when dialling out there is absolute silence unless on loud speaker...

Can't seem to fix it.

Hmm... Could do without buying a new phone, but... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 12:24, Stevo985 said:

Not impressed with Nougat.

On the whole it's exactly the same, and the only differences I have noticed are negatives (for me).

Maybe there's plenty of stuff going on under the hood that's different, but I can't tell.

It's mostly under the hood. The doze feature for one, is much more efficient now and battery life greatly improved. Other more obvious things like split screen and inline notification replies are neat too. A very good update on Marshmallow imo. This is on my OnePlus 3 so it could be different on other phones.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's mostly under the hood. The doze feature for one, is much more efficient now and battery life greatly improved. Other more obvious things like split screen and inline notification replies are neat too. A very good update on Marshmallow imo. This is on my OnePlus 3 so it could be different on other phones.

My battery life is not improved. in fact it is significantly reduced.

I have a couple of apps that no longer seem to work.

Bluetooth connection to other devices appears to be limited. I have bluetooth speakers and also connect to my car and both now can't control my phone. By that I mean the ability to skip songs or rewind/fast forward etc has gone. Volume is the only thing you can adjust, everything else has to be done through the phone, which is especially annoying in the car!

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

My battery life is not improved. in fact it is significantly reduced.

I have a couple of apps that no longer seem to work.

Bluetooth connection to other devices appears to be limited. I have bluetooth speakers and also connect to my car and both now can't control my phone. By that I mean the ability to skip songs or rewind/fast forward etc has gone. Volume is the only thing you can adjust, everything else has to be done through the phone, which is especially annoying in the car!

I've had none of these things, and also none when I upgraded to 7.1.1. Nougat will improve your battery life, so something is wrong. You might need a factory reset.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

I've had none of these things, and also none when I upgraded to 7.1.1. Nougat will improve your battery life, so something is wrong. You might need a factory reset.

Ah yes, a factory reset when going from Marshmallow to Nougat is a must. People have all kinds of bugs that I haven't experienced when they update straight away. A cache wipe would be good too.

What's your phone @Stevo985

Got my works Samsung A5 today. Seems ok. Got KNOX on it, which I assume by the name is some sort of secure encryption. 

The screen is excellent on it. 

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

. Got KNOX on it, which I assume by the name is some sort of secure encryption. 

It's a really cool idea, but I've never worked for a company that properly implemented it. It's kind of wasted on a company phone though, so I imagine you won't really use it.

It's a secure container on the device, basically you open Knox and from a user perspective, it's like you're on a different virtual device using the same phone. Only apps that your company authorises can be installed, and permissions between Knox and the main phone apps are completely distinct. So on a personal device you can use it as you always would, but have this seperate Knox part that's just for work, with a clear seperation between them.

So you can use your work email in Knox, without the company being able to wipe your whole device as they only manage Knox not the phone, and they can let you access company data on the device knowing it's secure and not at risk of you having a compromised phone.

• Like 1

Having had a quick play, it looks as those my device as been locked down to the work container. There is no option to switch for personal usage. or come out of the knox workspace

Its just a black background with no option to customise it and about 8 apps (email, phone, contacts, calendar, messages and some microsoft apps)

Looks like I won't be watching Kodi on it! 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's a really cool idea, but I've never worked for a company that properly implemented it. It's kind of wasted on a company phone though, so I imagine you won't really use it.

It's a secure container on the device, basically you open Knox and from a user perspective, it's like you're on a different virtual device using the same phone. Only apps that your company authorises can be installed, and permissions between Knox and the main phone apps are completely distinct. So on a personal device you can use it as you always would, but have this seperate Knox part that's just for work, with a clear seperation between them.

So you can use your work email in Knox, without the company being able to wipe your whole device as they only manage Knox not the phone, and they can let you access company data on the device knowing it's secure and not at risk of you having a compromised phone.

Stock Android can do all that though. If you are a Google for Work shop it's all agentless too. Does Knox offer something not available in stock?

4 hours ago, limpid said:

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Ah yes, a factory reset when going from Marshmallow to Nougat is a must. People have all kinds of bugs that I haven't experienced when they update straight away. A cache wipe would be good too.

What's your phone @Stevo985

I'll try that (it was in the back of my mind anyway but hadn't got round to it) thanks.

XPeria Z5

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was genuinely unaware of stock having anything like that at all, is it a new thing, do OEMs rip it out, or have I just not been paying attention?

I think it first appeared in Marshmallow, but I've not yet had chance to play with it at work. Google for Work contains what looks like a reasonable MDM for Android and iOS. From memory the Android version is agentless. A company can own the device, or you can BYOD by agreeing to some conditions (and the admin's security policy). I think the Android name for it is managed or user profiles and they can contain apps, data, whatever and are controlled by the admin of the service you connect to.

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think it first appeared in Marshmallow, but I've not yet had chance to play with it at work. Google for Work contains what looks like a reasonable MDM for Android and iOS. From memory the Android version is agentless. A company can own the device, or you can BYOD by agreeing to some conditions (and the admin's security policy). I think the Android name for it is managed or user profiles and they can contain apps, data, whatever and are controlled by the admin of the service you connect to.

So the admin would be able to control the entire device? Wipe it, enforce security policies, and so on?

I think that's what Knox does which is different. The company administrators have absolutely no control over the OS, only the Knox container, which made me far more willing to partake in BYOD. I could sign in to company email in the Knox container, knowing that the exchange policy (minimum PIN length, ability for them to remote wipe, disabling the SD card (?!)) only applied to Knox, with them having no access at all to the rest of my phone. And that's fine for the company, because their data is only in Knox. They can restrict and wipe company data, and anything that's at risk on the rest of my personal device is my problem.

It's basically like running a heavily locked down Android VM controlled by your sysadmins on your personal phone.

Edit: Nevermind, just found this. Looks like it's a very similar thing indeed. In Samsung's defence, Knox existed first (I had it on my Note 3)

https://support.google.com/work/android/answer/6191949?hl=en

Enabling a work profile allows organizations to manage the business data and applications they care about, but leave everything else on a device under the user’s control. Administrators control work profiles, which are kept separate from personal accounts, apps, and data. By default, work profile notifications and app icons have a red briefcase so they’re easy to distinguish from personal apps. Work profiles allow an IT department to securely manage a work environment without restricting users from using their device for personal apps and data.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 08:37, Chindie said:

My OnePlus One has had an odd fault appear. The headphone socket suddenly stopped working, and when dialling out there is absolute silence unless on loud speaker...

Can't seem to fix it.

Hmm... Could do without buying a new phone, but... 

I had this once. 

Stick a light down the headphone socket and check for pocket fluff. Fairly certain that was what was causing mine. Got the fluff out with a scalpel and all the weird behaviour went away.

• Like 2

On 16/03/2017 at 09:12, PieFacE said:

I had this once. 

Stick a light down the headphone socket and check for pocket fluff. Fairly certain that was what was causing mine. Got the fluff out with a scalpel and all the weird behaviour went away.

That was what I thought it was, the last time I had headphone problems that was the cause. 3 days spending every spare moment trying to scrape any fluff at all out achieved nothing, as did a few resets, until it started to only let me reboot rather than turn off the phone, and then one very long reboot later it was fine.

Warning signs methinks. It is showing it's age.

• Like 2

On 17 March 2017 at 11:27, West said:

Guys with an S7 Edge, what is your rough battery life from a full charge?

Like with most phones depends what your using it for. If your browsing for most the day

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Like with most phones depends what your using it for. If your browsing for most the day

Normal usage. Internet, whatsapp, snapchat, Twitter, streaming music, etc. 

I've seen some crazy high battery stats yet mine barely lasts 12 hours. 

1 minute ago, West said:

Normal usage. Internet, whatsapp, snapchat, Twitter, streaming music, etc. 

I've seen some crazy high battery stats yet mine barely lasts 12 hours. 

Uninstall facebook, turn the screen brightness down and turn off wifi when you aren't using it.

Â