Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

For essentially half price too. Ridiculous phone. Nougat is just so smooth on it.

Exactly, the flagship bearers really need to take note on how to design a phone, make all the high end specs work and compliment each other, keep the software simple and effective (It really is just stock android with a few tweaks and no bloatware), and put it out there at a reasonable cost. I'm surprised the phone hasn't had a huge knock on effect to the main players as yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2017 at 18:34, DeadlyDirk said:

Exactly, the flagship bearers really need to take note on how to design a phone, make all the high end specs work and compliment each other, keep the software simple and effective (It really is just stock android with a few tweaks and no bloatware), and put it out there at a reasonable cost. I'm surprised the phone hasn't had a huge knock on effect to the main players as yet.

Because some people will always buy a big name, for the name, without comparing or even caring about the competition. 

So the S8 is reported to look like the S7, that looked like the S6...

Mobile phone tech and design seems to have really plateaued over the past 2 or 3 years. There's not much incentive to upgrade at the moment imo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

So the S8 is reported to look like the S7, that looked like the S6...

Mobile phone tech and design seems to have really plateaued over the past 2 or 3 years. There's not much incentive to upgrade at the moment imo.

For many of us this has been true since before the S6. Split your airtime from your phone purchase and don't get sucked into the upgrade cycle nonsense.

15 hours ago, limpid said:

For many of us this has been true since before the S6. Split your airtime from your phone purchase and don't get sucked into the upgrade cycle nonsense.

I agree on the second part, the problem is there really isn't anywhere to go for a good looking phone anymore as they've all morphed towards the same design. Apple and Samsung both guilty of bringing out replacements that look the same as the last version. Even under the hood there isn't really much to get excited if you have the outgoing model.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Apple and Samsung both guilty of bringing out replacements that look the same as the last version

Why is that a bad thing? I mean there are, for example, cars like the Porsche 911 that are basically designs which have not varied that much, in terms of what they look like in decades. Refridgerators, Motorcycles, televisions, Pens, all kinds of stuff - once form and function get to a particular point change in design for the sake of it is kind of, well , cosmetic.

Get fit, form and function right and then don't mess with it, until or unless changes in capability come about due to new tech.

That's not a bad approach is it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's a good approach, but doesn't fit with the "I've been conditioned to upgrade every two years" people.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, limpid said:

You're using the terminology of the locked in upgrader :) 

No, not really, I've got a handset that is being replaced and I look at it and there really isn't much appeal to spend the money on getting the new version. Looks the same, does the same. Nothing to do with being tied to a contract. 

Even with a contract I could buy the handset outright like someone on PAYG and stick my contract Sim in it.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's a good approach, but doesn't fit with the "I've been conditioned to upgrade every two years" people.

This shoe-horning of bashing people on a contract into the discussion is quite bizarre :wacko:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

Why is that a bad thing? I mean there are, for example, cars like the Porsche 911 that are basically designs which have not varied that much, in terms of what they look like in decades. Refridgerators, Motorcycles, televisions, Pens, all kinds of stuff - once form and function get to a particular point change in design for the sake of it is kind of, well , cosmetic.

Get fit, form and function right and then don't mess with it, until or unless changes in capability come about due to new tech.

and then there are thousands of times more examples of designs developing over time to retain customer appeal...

1 minute ago, Genie said:

This shoe-horning of bashing people on a contract into the discussion is quite bizarre :wacko:

I'm not "bashing" the people. I'm "bashing" the organisations promoting the conditioning.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'm not "bashing" the people. I'm "bashing" the organisations promoting the conditioning.

I've been on giff gaff for a few years and found the service ok, no complaints. 

After only ever having Android I wanted to try an iPhone so looked for a long time to buy one outright but I kept coming up to the same predicament that there wasn't much difference between buying one upfront or getting one on a 24 month contract.

I went for the contract as it had all the mins, text and data I needed and if/when I get bored of the phone I'll pay up the balance and move on.

Its a model which works fine for me and effectively spreads the cost of the phone interest free plus give me a tariff for a couple of pounds a month that would otherwise be £14+.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

and then there are thousands of times more examples of designs developing over time to retain customer appeal...

Yes, of course there are. But mostly, mostly designs changing over time are via small iterations, rather than radical makeovers. Quite often the changes in appearance are deliberately minor in order to prevent "putting people off". Take the VW Golf, for example - despite masses of change between a Mk6 and Mk 7, most all of them are invisible, and the styling is kept almost the same, to give "reassurance" to costomers that they'll be getting the same solidity and etc. and so forth as always.

The desire with phones to look for "New and different" is (IMO) more the conditioning than relating to locked in or PAYG. The industry promotes "difference" as a discriminator, because bluntly all the phones and OSs pretty much do the same things to a good standard, so to keep the money coming in they promote and people are conditioned to look for new easter eggs and appearances where, actually, they don't really need to "upgrade" at all. It's massively wasteful.

• Like 1

Not impressed with Nougat.

On the whole it's exactly the same, and the only differences I have noticed are negatives (for me).

Maybe there's plenty of stuff going on under the hood that's different, but I can't tell.

Â