Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

@ender4  My Dad had the same problem on his J5 with presumably the same update.  The update should tell you how much extra it needs beyond what is already available e.g. "I still need another 50Mb".  So it might be easier to temporarily shift some stuff (pics, music) to another device (laptop?) in order to just do the software update and then shift the stuff back afterwards, rather than wiping everything and starting from scratch with a reset.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

@ender4  My Dad had the same problem on his J5 with presumably the same update.  The update should tell you how much extra it needs beyond what is already available e.g. "I still need another 50Mb".  So it might be easier to temporarily shift some stuff (pics, music) to another device (laptop?) in order to just do the software update and then shift the stuff back afterwards, rather than wiping everything and starting from scratch with a reset.

All your photos and music should be in Google land though. It's simple to bring them back after a reset if you need them on the device.

32 minutes ago, limpid said:

All your photos and music should be in Google land though. It's simple to bring them back after a reset if you need them on the device.

Not everyone has that setup though because not everyone has enough monthly data for cloud reliance to be feasible. Me for one :)

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Not everyone has that setup though because not everyone has enough monthly data for cloud reliance to be feasible. Me for one :)

I'm not suggesting you do a factory reset when you are walking around. Do it when you're sat at home over wifi.

4 hours ago, limpid said:

I'm not suggesting you do a factory reset when you are walking around. Do it when you're sat at home over wifi.

I think we're at cross purposes here. I'm suggesting a factory reset is a bigger deal to most people than you think. Not everyone wants to factory reset just to free up a bit of space. 

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Only if you don't want to be sure of keeping hold of them?

I have no idea what this refers to nor why you've put a question mark when it doesn't ask a question.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

I think we're at cross purposes here. I'm suggesting a factory reset is a bigger deal to most people than you think. Not everyone wants to factory reset just to free up a bit of space. 

I agree. I don't understand why you mentioned data charges then.

13 hours ago, BOF said:

I understand why you wouldn't want to Factory Reset necessarily.

But I think the need for data allowances to use Cloud Storage is overestimated.

I have everything on the cloud (music, photos, movies etc) but extremely rarely do I stream any of it or download it via my mobile data. I just download what I need when I have WiFi and then use it through the day.

You don't have to stream it from the cloud.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

I agree. I don't understand why you mentioned data charges then.

Because you mentioned "Google land" which I assume means cloud which requires online access instead of offline. 

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If you back up to the cloud and then do a factory reset, do you then have to re-install all your apps or does that restore from the back-up as well?

I've never done a factory reset nor a back-up before.

If your phone stops working tomorrow what would you do? (Serious question.)

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If you back up to the cloud and then do a factory reset, do you then have to re-install all your apps or does that restore from the back-up as well?

I've never done a factory reset nor a back-up before.

Factory reset will be like the day you bought it.  Completely reset.  It has its uses but it's a last resort.  You do not need to factory reset just to find a bit more space.

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

Factory reset will be like the day you bought it.  Completely reset.  It has its uses but it's a last resort.  You do not need to factory reset just to find a bit more space.

My last factory reset took about 20 minutes. All my stuff is synced to the cloud. All I had to do afterwards was tell Google Play to download the playlist I keep on the device and it downloaded that over the next hour or so.

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I guess a factory reset!   It hasn't ever happened to me up to now.

Well it'll be like that then :)

What do you have on there that you wouldn't want to lose?

If you've created local contacts, move them to your Google account. If you have photos, go to Google Photos, settings and tap "backups and sync".

41 minutes ago, limpid said:

What do you have on there that you wouldn't want to lose?

If you've created local contacts, move them to your Google account. If you have photos, go to Google Photos, settings and tap "backups and sync".

Nothing really.  Some phone numbers and apps.

All photos, vids, etc are stored on the SD card, so will just take that out of the phone first.

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Nothing really.  Some phone numbers and apps.

All photos, vids, etc are stored on the SD card, so will just take that out of the phone first.

Did you find out how much extra is required for the update?  Some of the more prominent apps like messenger, twitter etc can have enormous cache & data stored, and clearing those could solve your problem immediately.

Just now, BOF said:

Did you find out how much extra is required for the update?  Some of the more prominent apps like messenger, twitter etc can have enormous cache & data stored, and clearing those could solve your problem immediately.

yes, but that wasn't the problem.  I cleared out well above what it said i still needed, got rid of all cache and data stored, but its still saying not enough space.

Its not recognising the free space at all, even thought its showing as almost 2GB free now.

I will do a factory reset.

Just now, ender4 said:

I will do a factory reset.

As Simon says, once your offline contacts are moved to your google account, assuming all photos etc are elsewhere, then you should be good to go.  Google Play will already have your app list, albeit you restore it manually.

• Like 1

Â