Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Rumours from where?

I read it here

If you were cross with Samsung for ditching removable batteries with the Galaxy S6 then you might not like what it’s going to do with the Galaxy S8. We can exclusively confirm that Samsung is going to remove the standard 3.5mm headphone jack from the Galaxy S8. This means that all of your existing headphones will not be compatible with the upcoming flagship unless you use a USB Type-C adapter as the Galaxy S8 will feature a USB Type-C port. This also means that you won’t be able to plug in the Galaxy S8 and use wired headphones at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I've never heard of the site. They claim that the jack is being removed to free up space to make it slimmer and increase the battery size. And then say that they are including stereo speakers. Personally I'll wait for something a little more credible :) 

(Waiting for the 3T to be delivered today.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, limpid said:

I've never heard of the site.

That actually surprises me. :) They've been around for many years, being the best place to find all firmwares for all Samsung phones.

As far as their credibility goes for breaking news, I've got no clue.

4 hours ago, Tegis said:

That actually surprises me. :) They've been around for many years, being the best place to find all firmwares for all Samsung phones.

As far as their credibility goes for breaking news, I've got no clue.

Ah, I've not had Samsung since the S2 and probably never will.

• Like 1

It's really good so far. Very impressed. You might get the Nougat update when yours arrives :)

The dash charging is really quick. Really nice piece of kit so far - my only niggle is that the dual SIM software doesn't do a good enough job of differentiating which SIM is which. Nougat brings some extra features there though so I'll wait and see. 

• Like 1

I have the 3, and it is a superb phone. The software is perfectly optimized and is probably the best version of Android out, and will get even better when Nougat comes in a couple of weeks. Special shout to Dash Charge which is ridiculous, I usually have to make sure I don't forget about it and leave it too long it charges that fast.

I got fed up of waiting for Oneplus, so went to O2 and bought a 3T from there. Plumped for the 128GB version. 

Which brings me onto something, what is the insistence on tech reviewers pushing for SD card compatability? It's slower than internal storage, cloud storage is abundant and it's not significantly cheaper that it makes makes huge difference in terms of cost. 

Anyway, great phone looking forward to getting Nougat. 

5 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

IWhich brings me onto something, what is the insistence on tech reviewers pushing for SD card compatability? It's slower than internal storage, cloud storage is abundant and it's not significantly cheaper that it makes makes huge difference in terms of cost. 

I don't get it either. My previous two handsets had 16GB (I think). I don't need more than that. I have unlimited photos and music in the cloud. Even with a (large) playlist pinned locally, maps for most of the UK cached and my podcasts, I'm still not up to 16GB. And I have 64GB.

Nova Launcher Prime is on sale for £0.50, Best launcher I've ever used.

Accept no substitutes! Nova Launcher is the original and most polished customizable launcher for modern Android

Nova Launcher Prime
Unlock the following extras by purchasing Nova Launcher Prime
• Gestures - Swipe, pinch, double tap and more on the home screen to open your favorite apps
• Unread Counts - Never miss a message. Unread count badges for Hangouts, SMS, Gmail and more using the TeslaUnread plugin
• Custom Drawer Groups - Create new tabs or folders in the app drawer
• Hide Apps - Keep a clean app drawer by hiding never used apps
• Icon Swipes - Set custom actions for swiping on app shortcuts or folders
• More scroll effects - Such as Wipe, Accordion, and Throw

Nova Launcher Prime acts as a license to unlock these features in the free Nova Launcher App. You will need to install Nova Launcher first

Edited by V01
a word
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 20:56, limpid said:

I don't get it either. My previous two handsets had 16GB (I think). I don't need more than that. I have unlimited photos and music in the cloud. Even with a (large) playlist pinned locally, maps for most of the UK cached and my podcasts, I'm still not up to 16GB. And I have 64GB.

I've had my 64 GB phone for about a month now and I'm already halfway through it, and I didn't even put my music on it yet! I don't back up anything to the cloud and prefer to have everything on storage as decent data plans are hard to come by. Expandable storage would be so useful and it's something so inexpensive and trivial that it's almost infuriating that companies leave them off.

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I've had my 64 GB phone for about a month now and I'm already halfway through it, and I didn't even put my music on it yet! I don't back up anything to the cloud and prefer to have everything on storage as decent data plans are hard to come by. Expandable storage would be so useful and it's something so inexpensive and trivial that it's almost infuriating that companies leave them off.

I pay £19 a month for 16GB of data, but I spend most of my life in wifi coverage (last month I used less than 1GB). So it's not really an issue for me.

What do you do when you lose or break your phone, or it just stops working? I can't understand why you wouldn't back up.

Would you need more than 128GB during the working life of your next handset?

I was slow to taking up the whole cloud storage thing but now I use it almost exclusively. 

The only time I use internal storage on my phone is when I've downloaded a few albums or films to listen to on long journeys.

Photos, videos, music etc are all on cloud storage. And none of it costs me anything.

I do still use an external hard drive for my chromebook to store movies and TV. But even that I probably don't need because I rarely tend to rewatch anything I download!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, limpid said:

I pay £19 a month for 16GB of data, but I spend most of my life in wifi coverage (last month I used less than 1GB). So it's not really an issue for me.

What do you do when you lose or break your phone, or it just stops working? I can't understand why you wouldn't back up.

Would you need more than 128GB during the working life of your next handset?

Well for starters, 5GB is about £45 a month for me and wifi isn't so widespread, so I can't really afford to peruse the cloud like that. I have everything backed up on a hard drive but what's the point of a smartphone if you can't pull out photos or videos on a dime?

Also luckily my music listening habits have changed drastically lately and I use Spotify all the time and normally just listen to personalized playlists instead of carrying around 30+GB of my music everywhere I go like I used to. Still, I've found I needed a handy base on hand if ever I find myself without internet access. Basically, I think 64GB without expandable storage should be the bare minimum because like me, not everyone has the luxury of access to the cloud 24/7.

• Like 1

£45 for 5GB? Jesus!

I pay £28 for 11GB

Regardless I don't really think it's necessary. Download what you need for the day via WiFi and then use it when you need it.

Cloud storage doesn't mean you need to stream it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, limpid said:

@Keyblade where are you that you get such rip off data rates? And as I asked, would 128GB be enough for the lifetime of your device?

UAE. About 200 local currency for 5gb a month. Also 128GB would be perfect. I think that's the sweet spot. Which is why it's great the OnePlus 3T comes in that variant. Shame I bought the 3 a month before :D

• Like 1

Â