Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

Lots of things seem to be very common when you read about them. They never are, it's just a few people moaning very loudly.

I've done a LOT of fiddling with my GN and I use it a lot. I know a few other people with them and they've never complained about this issue.

It's very simple to diagnose the exact issue. Do the following:

1. Reboot into recovery. Wipe data.

2. If that doesn't fix it, reflash the OS:

2a. Download the yakju factory image from Google https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/yakju-jro03c-factory-3174c1e5.tgz

2b. Install the Android SDK and use the platform tool 'fastboot' to flash the image.

3. If that doesn't fix it, it's faulty.

Simple as that. As it's a Google phone, you have full access to the factory images and can do what you like with your phone.

If you need any help with any of that let me know.

A custom launcher changes how your phone looks, so you can choose one thats look appeals to you. They also can add new features too, like action bindings, customisable dock icons etc..

Try out Nova Launcher, it's free in the play store to see what I mean

I had no icons when I tried a new one, any idea why?

Because each launcher has it's own settings for where you've placed each widget, shortcut etc.

Customise the new launcher to how you like it. If you want to go back to your old launcher go into app settings and clear the defaults for that launcher so the press of the home key launches your old launcher instead.

So new S3 and One X converts. How are you finding the screen size ? Benefit or too big?

Definite benefit.

I am still getting used to the phone size though and is too big to be in my pocket when sitting down, driving etc..

It's weird the wifes One X looks and feels smaller than the S3 although they are almost identical in size.

Yep, we get all the Jelly Bean features, Expanded notifications and slicker performance. With the Quad core processor I'd imagine it'll be blazing fast.

Happy days!

Looking forward to giving google now a whirl.

My phone is unbranded so do I just keep checking the software update for OTA or will I have to update via kies?

Any news when HTC will get the upgrade?

Argh. I ordered my One X from Simply Electronics and they are being total arse bandits. First of all I get no confirmation email of me buying the phone which was last **** Thursday yet they have charged me (or the payment is being processed anyway) and now I've just came across a shit load of bad reviews. I can't cancel without contacting them so I've just sent them an email asking what the hell is going on which no doubt they will take forever to reply. Man, it **** me off how these companies can constantly get away with stuff like this. Somebody at work suggested I buy my phone there as it was £100 cheaper than anywhere else and he has had no problems before. I just fell under the unlucky category I think unless he was just lucky. But yeah, won't be getting it anytime soon I don't think. Fuu...................

Apparently the money has been taken from my account but it's being held by some company (safe). The only reason I went there is because it was cheaper by a considerable amount. Can't cope with this 3GS much longer, I've been waiting **** ages for a new phone.

It was a toss up between the S3 and One X but hey, anything is better than an iPhone right...? ;) Just get me on Android!

Well Samsung would be the best of the skinned oems with Android updates. The S2 which is 18 months old now will get Jellybean update in November which means it'll have got updates from 2.3 to 4.1 and will run the latest software when it's 2 years old.

The HTC Sensation which was the HTC rival to the S2 will probably not get Jellybean and if it does it'll be next year for certain.

Also removable battery is also key in phone longevity, you can buy a new battery for 15 quid and your phone will be back running as long as the day you bought it.

For those two reasons alone, anyone wanting an Android phone for the next 2 years. I'd suggest buy a Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus.

Â