The 'Who Supports Who' topic

33 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Is that how you spell rimming nowadays?

I only set them up Rob. It's up to you to knock them into the open goal. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the NBA, I'm Nets till the end. And was before this "superteam" of 2021 means they can't defend for toffee.

NFL, Seattle Seahawks. 

Given the time differences I rarely watch either sport, but listen to lots of NBA podcasts. It's nice to have an interest in a sport where I don't really care what happens. (The opposite of football and Villa!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If we're doing other North American sports:

MLS: Montréal Impact (due to personal ties to MTL - I visited Stade Saputo a couple of years ago)

NHL: Montréal Canadiens

NBA: Orlando Magic (I grew up during the SHAQ, Penny Hardaway, and Horace Grant era)

I'd rather eat my own eyes than watch baseball.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm always surprised how many people in the UK seem to have an interest in Northern American sports. 

Why? NFL is fantastic.

Playing NFL fantasy really got me into it though.

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Why? NFL is fantastic.

Playing NFL fantasy really got me into it though.

It's not something you naturally think of as popular over here. 

I've watched a lot of NFL and played a lot of Madden when living with a bunch of yanks in Sweden. Could never really get into it. Too slow and too long, 10 seconds of play followed by 2 minutes of talking about and planning the next 10 seconds of play. Watching it seemed to be more focused on allowing for lots of talking /drinking rather then actually watching the game and I'm not used to that as we'd do that before/after. 

Playing rugby I was always comparing it to that too and couldn't get passed how much body armour they wear and having had an 18 stone man give me a running knee to the temple (horrible concussion and my boss called me elephant man for a week), I'm not sure I buy the 'they tackle harder line'. 

It's better then baseball though, that's like an even more boring version of cricket. 

It's good that other people enjoy it though, world needs variety and I'm sure I enjoy plenty of things other people don't get. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

It's not something you naturally think of as popular over here. 

I've watched a lot of NFL and played a lot of Madden when living with a bunch of yanks in Sweden. Could never really get into it. Too slow and too long, 10 seconds of play followed by 2 minutes of talking about and planning the next 10 seconds of play. Watching it seemed to be more focused on allowing for lots of talking /drinking rather then actually watching the game and I'm not used to that as we'd do that before/after. 

Playing rugby I was always comparing it to that too and couldn't get passed how much body armour they wear and having had an 18 stone man give me a running knee to the temple (horrible concussion and my boss called me elephant man for a week), I'm not sure I buy the 'they tackle harder line'. 

It's better then baseball though, that's like an even more boring version of cricket. 

It's good that other people enjoy it though, world needs variety and I'm sure I enjoy plenty of things other people don't get. 

Maybe you should have posted this in the "Things You Don't Get" thread rather than the section where everyone loves NFL

😆

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Could never really get into it. Too slow and too long,

Give "Redzone" a try one sunday. Jumps between all the games following where the action is. You might still not like it but it's more happening all the time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up outside of Detroit, so I'm naturally a fan of all the Detroit teams:

• NFL - Lions
  • NBA - Pistons
  • NHL - Red Wings
  • MLB - Tigers (If I'm forced to watch baseball)
  • Footie - Detroit City FC (Fook MLS!!!)
  • College Sports - I went to a school without athletics, so I never got into college sports as heavily as some, but I usually support Michigan State over other teams
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2021 at 02:27, KMitch said:

I grew up outside of Detroit, so I'm naturally a fan of all the Detroit teams:

• NFL - Lions
  • NBA - Pistons
  • NHL - Red Wings
  • MLB - Tigers (If I'm forced to watch baseball)
  • Footie - Detroit City FC (Fook MLS!!!)
  • College Sports - I went to a school without athletics, so I never got into college sports as heavily as some, but I usually support Michigan State over other teams

You'll be happy with the NBA Draft then! I'd really like to visit Detroit. From what I've read it's a "proper" city. Not really sure what I mean by that, but it appeals regardless!

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2021 at 09:47, Tegis said:

Give "Redzone" a try one sunday. Jumps between all the games following where the action is. You might still not like it but it's more happening all the time

I record the games,that way I can fast forward the boring bits.I do watch Superbowl live though. 

On 10/07/2021 at 13:24, Don_Simon said:

I'd really like to visit Detroit. From what I've read it's a "proper" city. Not really sure what I mean by that, but it appeals regardless!

It means you are likely to get shot ;) 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Eidolon - Arizona Cardinals
I got to go to a couple of NFL games when I was living in the states, the first of which was an AZ stomping of Detroit and they didn't seem like the traditional bandwagon team so I jumped on board...its not been suuuuuper fruitful I won't lie but this team actually looks pretty OK with Kyler, Hopkins, Green, Jones, JJ Watt, Kirk et al
....DEM BIRBS!! :D

birbs.png

Edited by Eidolon
  • Like 3

don't know why but i've always been miami dolphins...they were always the team i picked on madden back in the day, even before i started watching NFL but for no reason whatsoever

i've actually been to the stadium too, for wrestlemania

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2021 at 13:04, Dante_Lockhart said:

11 years this topic has been here. That's mental.

Shame I can't edit the original post anymore 😂

Crazy… just flicked through the entire chat. Suffice to say I never properly followed up my support of a team.. I have visited San Fran since choosing them and purchased a 49ers shirt whilst there… but I haven’t seen a game in years!

I’ve kinda started following the NBA now and the Bucks! 

• 2 weeks later...
Â