What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

He came to us from Newcastle without too much prompting, and even put in a transfer request to get it done.

That's not the way I remember it.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shouldnt sell him,dont matter what money we get,we cannot attract top top players to replace him,really have to stay strong and not be bullied into selling our best players cos we will never improve as a team this way

tottenham improved when they sold there best players. The problem is with our manager. He wont be able to find the players to push us to the next level.

shouldnt sell him,dont matter what money we get,we cannot attract top top players to replace him,really have to stay strong and not be bullied into selling our best players cos we will never improve as a team this way

tottenham improved when they sold there best players. The problem is with our manager. He wont be able to find the players to push us to the next level.

No, he certainly wouldn't be able to find a player for £12m and turn him into a player worth £30m inside a couple of years.

Effectively you're saying that MON (the man who bought James Milner) is totally incapable of buying a player like James Milner. Think before you type!

He came to us from Newcastle without too much prompting, and even put in a transfer request to get it done.

For what it's worth:

Kevin Keegan's disquiet at Newcastle's failure to secure the long-term futures of some of the club's key personnel has proved well-founded after the club confirmed that James Milner has submitted a transfer request. Milner's desire to leave for Aston Villa is likely to feature high on the agenda when Keegan holds a scheduled summit meeting today with Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner, about the club's future direction.

"Newcastle United can confirm that it has received a written transfer request from James Milner," read a club statement. "The club is very disappointed that James sees his footballing future as being away from St James' Park. He is a valued member of the squad and it is only a year ago that he signed an improved long-term contract.

"We have yet to receive an offer for James that has matched our valuation of him. However, should such an offer be received then the club would be reluctantly forced to consider it, given James' apparent desire to leave."

They may not have to wait long. Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill was on hand at the Ricoh Arena last night to watch Newcastle's Carling Cup clash with Coventry, and his long-standing interest in Milner, who has also been linked with Liverpool, will have been encouraged by a commanding display from the winger. Milner set up the first two goals in a 3-2 win for Newcastle, prompting Keegan to reiterate his desire to keep the England Under-21 midfielder while pressing the player's claims to a place in the national side.

"James has a three-year-contract," said Keegan. "I do not even want to talk about losing him. He is absolutely top notch — one that Fabio Capello should have a serious look at. Once you have played 30 games for the Under-21s you deserve a crack at the big time."

The departure of Milner, who is paid substantially less than several of his Newcastle team-mates, would exacerbate Keegan's misgivings about the club's failure to negotiate proposed contract extensions for Michael Owen and Steve Harper.

here

Like that article said Newcastle woudln't re-negotiate his contract to pay him more and he was on substantially less than his team mates.

Not forgetting that MON had almost signed him a season or two before but the club changed their mind by the time he'd got to Bodymoor Heath...Absolute disgrace!!

They were in a total mess at that time because of debts & fair play to Keegan he made sure young Jimmy got the move that he deserved and

that he was going to club & a manager that would nuture his talent.

It's slightly different scenario now at Villa...... But like I've said.. if he thinks he can do better then let him go as long as we're going to get serious bucks

for him.

Funny, that's exactly how I remember it and Ponky has substantiated that point.

We wanted him, he wanted to come but the barcodes didn't want to play ball so he put in a transfer request to force the move through.

It may be that they wanted him to do that to save themselves a few quid by not having to pay him off. However, what it does demonstrate is he is prepared to put in a transfer request to get the career move he wants.

Another point to consider is that the wages City are likely to offer will mean any sum he may be due from us if we sell him without him putting in a transfer request will very quickly be recouped by what the pay him every week.

I'm not saying any of this will come to pass - he did want to join us once before when MON was manager - but he may well see City in the same light he saw Villa when he was with the barcodes. More money, more ambition, more likely to win things in the next couple of years.

Well it may well be " the way you remembered it" but that does not make it right, does it?

Article with quotes

The fact is Milner was promised something that Newcastle never delivered on, more money, when he signed his new contract the year before. Keegan made this promise and the board backed out the year after he had made it.

Keegan was furious and so was Milner, he slapped in a transfer request. Newcastle did not offer the money promised to him even after that, despite having the chance to.

It cost Newcastle Milner and Keegan IMO.

Milner will do the right thing within reason, he will stay another season unless MON decides the money on offer is so great we cannot turn it down, we are a business after all.

Even though I think if sold, Milner is replaceable quite easily - I don't want him sold, due to the message it sends out to other players.

Reading all the above, and maybe being very niave, I honestly can't see Milner going for the money.

He has just broke into the England side, this after getting the Young player award.

If he develops at a club in the right circumstances, he could go on to be a Lampard or Gerrard.

If he goes for money, he could just end up being a bit part player for a club who are just playing a real version of Football Manager - and don't actually care about the actual player - you only have to look at players like Richards for that.

So, even if they offer 125k a week, I just don't think Milner is of that type to take it.

What this may do, is open him up to other clubs like Arsenal - and that may be a different matter. But City, I very much doubt it.

Barry was different, that was his last big pay day - Milner still has that to come in 5 yrs time

I think he will stay on an improved contract of around 75k pw

Just as an add on to some of the above. I've read reports that Citeh are prepared tp pay Vidic £200k a week. Now if I was James Milner I would say you either pay me within £25k of the top paid player for the next 5 years or no dice.

Fwiw Why they want to pay Vidic £200k a week is beyond me!! and they probabaly wont get him.

I've been told today that Milner is definitely off and Ireland is coming this way in a cash plus player deal, apparently it's all complete and agreed.... however...

it's a friend of a friend situation but i trust that no one in the chain has been lying, fed bad information? Possibly!!!! So no way do i claim to be ITK, just passing on what i've been told...

I've been told today that Milner is definitely off and Ireland is coming this way in a cash plus player deal, apparently it's all complete and agreed.... however...

it's a friend of a friend situation but i trust that no one in the chain has been lying, fed bad information? Possibly!!!! So no way do i claim to be ITK, just passing on what i've been told...

I wouldn't bother passing it on then unless you know and trust your source

Papers in Ireland said they are trying to flog Ireland in swap deals plus money to Valencia, Villa and Everton but nobody will take him
I think I made a comment sometime ago on the subject of Ireland that he was basically a rich man's Lee Hendrie

Papers in Ireland said they are trying to flog Ireland in swap deals plus money to Valencia, Villa and Everton but nobody will take him
I think I made a comment sometime ago on the subject of Ireland that he was basically a rich man's Lee Hendrie

That assessment I would agree with.

I don't know whether it has been mentioned in this thread, but the latest rumour I heard was that Hart would be part of any deal that sees Milner going to Man City.

More fanciful thinking methinks.

That assessment I would agree with.

I don't know whether it has been mentioned in this thread, but the latest rumour I heard was that Hart would be part of any deal that sees Milner going to Man City.

More fanciful thinking methinks.

Interesting. Though it would significantly reduce our cashflow from the deal making other more (currently) important transfers harder.