PL: Hull a Match Thread 2010/04/21 19:45

limpid

6 goals in 7 starts

he's scored against Zilina, Hamburg, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Brighton and Doncaster

the guy's a goalscoring machine

as I said if he starts tomorrow, we're as good as 1-0 up already

Im not with ya mate. Portsmouth??????

And if were counting Hamburg - we were 3-0 down so 1-0 up doesn't apply. Just say If delfouneso starts hel probably score - if thats what you mean

well he didn't start against them but he did score, ok then that's what I meant which basically equates to a 1-0 head start

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 goals in 7 starts

he's scored against Zilina, Hamburg, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Brighton and Doncaster

the guy's a goalscoring machine

as I said if he starts tomorrow, we're as good as 1-0 up already

Im not with ya mate. Portsmouth??????

And if were counting Hamburg - we were 3-0 down so 1-0 up doesn't apply. Just say If delfouneso starts hel probably score - if thats what you mean

well he didn't start against them but he did score, ok then that's what I meant which basically equates to a 1-0 head start

Ok you win :?

yea he's on a contract till the end of the season, he's an ok manager glad he's taken some of the players off browns naughty step, we needed a change and didnt have the money for anyone of a better quality.

sadly our last chairman was given the resources to do anything he wanted to without the owner doing anything. i would mind going down if we wasnt laden with the 9th highest wage bill in the league and most players signed whilst in the PL with no claus in their contract for a wage reduction on relegation.

i forgot to add mendy to the list, he gets to leave on a free if we are relgated

oh right do you think he'll stay next season? if not, who do you want to replace him? I think overall he's done a decent job with a limited squad (no offence), he did well at Palace, wasn't given a chance at Charlton and Newcastle were a sinking ship when he took over. 9th highest in the league?! that's ridiculous! he was a mate of O'Leary's though weren't he? explains a lot!

I rate that Mendy, think he's one of your better players, although he doesn't seem to get much of a look in

oh right do you think he'll stay next season? if not, who do you want to replace him? I think overall he's done a decent job with a limited squad (no offence), he did well at Palace, wasn't given a chance at Charlton and Newcastle were a sinking ship when he took over. 9th highest in the league?! that's ridiculous! he was a mate of O'Leary's though weren't he? explains a lot!

I rate that Mendy, think he's one of your better players, although he doesn't seem to get much of a look in

the current chairman is a mate of o'leary(he was financial director at leeds till 2001) and he's a god here after he bought us less than a day before the club could have been liquidated .

Duffen is who i was talking about, he was a chairman of a news group connected with itn news, i think dowie will deffintly stay if we stay up and he would deserve a go at it, if we go down i would like us to go and get adkins from scunthorpe.

the problem is we still have alot of players who all got a pay rise when we got promoted who are not good enough for this league but on too much money for a championship club to be interested in them.

Mendy hasnt been good since liverpool away last seasin where he run them all over the pitch, when he wants too he can be a quality right midfielder but because we dont have a deccent right back he's been playing there and he just doesnt look interested

Nice of Dowie to let us know his tactics in advance

Iain Dowie tells Hull to turn heat up on Aston Villa

• 'This week has got to bring at least one win'

• Hull manager believes possession is key to survival

* Louise Taylor

* The Guardian, Wednesday 21 April 2010

Hull City will aim to stop Aston Villa from playing their counter-attacking game tonight as they seek a vital home victory in east Yorkshire. Iain Dowie's side sit third bottom of the Premier League, three points adrift of safety, but the interim manager remains optimistic relegation can be avoided.

'This week has got to bring at least one win; beating Villa would change the whole picture,' Dowie, below, whose team face Sunderland at the KC Stadium on Saturday, said yesterday. 'And if we were able to put back-to-back wins together, then we're really cooking on gas. That would put real pressure on West Ham.'

The former West Ham forward has decided the best way of discomfiting Gianfranco Zola's similarly relegation‑threatened side is to proceed with caution. Dowie's new‑look 4‑5‑1 formation produced a point in Saturday's goalless draw at Birmingham and he pronounced himself well pleased. 'We passed the ball better than at any time this year,' he said. 'We made 70 more passes than we've made in a game all season." With the matches against Villa and Sunderland followed by a trip to Wigan and the visit of Liverpool, he believes superior possession retention is preferable to gambling on twin forwards. "People can ask for two strikers," he said. "And that's fine when strikers are scoring but ours have got nine goals between them all season.

"And I'm not sure going 4-4-2 against Aston Villa's 4-4-2 would be right. Villa are as good a counter attacking side as anyone in the country and Martin O'Neill says they are looking to win here. If you just attack Villa that's suicide, look at their goal threat."

Not that Dowie is daunted. "If you worry about Villa you wouldn't sleep," he said. "But we've got to play to our strengths. We've got to make Agbonlahor, Carew, Downing, Young and Milner look like average players. We need to expose one or two weaknesses they have."

He trusts patience will prove a key weapon in Hull's armoury and hopes his team can pass their way to safety. "We have to hang on in games and keep a foothold. I'd like to see us building our passing game and giving Villa something to worry about.'

So this comes down to the really key issue for Villa this season.

Can we play successful football against a determined 4-5-1. Sounds as if Dowie will tell Hull to play as if they're away from home, keep it tight and defend in numbers.

This is the type of play we have struggled most to break down this season, so if we win tonight I will count this one of our best achievements this season, and a real step forward for the team.

BTW

We will win this, in fact I think we will win our last 4 games but it still will not be enough
If we win our last 4 matches, it will be enough for me. Couldn't ask for more from the lads :)

So basically Dowie is saying he is gonna park the bus and try to see if we can break them down.

Seems like he knows how to play us!

This is what worries me. They will know that our weakness is our RB and try and attack us here I expect. But by parking the bus they will make life very very hard for us - as we arnt capable of deconstructing teams and breaking them down with our play.

I fully expect to see an unchanged side - with 4-4-2 being the setup. It will be close for sure - we need an early goal.

So basically Dowie is saying he is gonna park the bus and try to see if we can break them down.

This is what worries me. They will know that our weakness is our RB and try and attack us here I expect. But by parking the bus they will make life very very hard for us - as we arnt capable of deconstructing teams and breaking them down with our play.

I fully expect to see an unchanged side - with 4-4-2 being the setup. It will be close for sure - we need an early goal.

Cuellar is not a weakness at right back at all.

His defensive side is very good, its going forward which is his weakness.

Our overall weakness is being able to brake teams down.

They could quite easily get a 0-0 draw out of this, which would be better for them than us.

Cuellar is not a weakness at right back at all. His defensive side is very good, its going forward which is his weakness.

I agree and disagree. Ceullar is very good defensively (and I actually think our stronges CB partnership is Ceullar and Dunne) but in Luke Young we have someone who as well as being an excellent defender and a better RB than Ceullar, can also go forward with the ball and doesnt kick the ball out of play when tyring to play it down the line.

Ceullar isnt great with the ball - and if we can only use him at RB for his defensive qualitites then we're mising out - as we have a better suited player sat on our bench!

Cuellar is not a weakness at right back at all.

His defensive side is very good, its going forward which is his weakness.

Our overall weakness is being able to brake teams down.

They could quite easily get a 0-0 draw out of this, which would be better for them than us.

I agree that for this game we should look at the right back position and stick Young in. There is no need for Martins favoured 3 centre back lineup (In the guise of having a right back) against a team that will only play 1 forward.

We need 3 points here and i really think we need to let the shackles off the team by helping the midfield and attack, even if we do lose a bit of solidity at the back.