Which party gets your X  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Liberal Democrat
    • Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Labour
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • BNP
    • Not voting
    • Spoil Ballot

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a bloke that tells us he has met everyone currently living in the UK

it's very strange that all 3 did the I met John from Woking line last night and yet only one person seems to be attacked for it

It's actually no different from the countless VT politics posts , the views are soo narrow as to be laughable ... I could have written verbatim before he posted it most of what I knew Ian was going to write ....

And soon there will be a reply about "back at you" ..which will juts go to prove that nobody reads this thread either as I am probably the only one that has praised all 3 leaders

If anyone was looking beyond what school Cameron went to his answer on the NHS was about how much he is going to ensure it is given priority , it's often reported now that somehow the Tories appear to have beome the party of the NHS .. and yet come to VT and apparantly he's going to shut it down ,move it to Belize and then no doubt give it to one of his crony mates ...

Guess collectivly we've proved the debates were a waste of time ....

I've got really mixed feelings about this. Before the debate I had been expecting smoothy Cameron to be a clear winner, Gordo to make an arse of himself, and Clegg to blow all credibility by being a stammering schoolboy.

In the end my "scoring" of the leaders was exactly as per the polls (before I saw them BTW) - Clegg was surprisingly impressive, Brown did much better than I expected, and Cameron floundered.

As a lifelong Tory-detesting labour voter who is drifting to the LibDems you'd think this would make me very happy. But it doesn't. I can't help feeling that this is not the right way to go about an election campaign; it's a U.S.-style, media-led, X-Factor-ish popularity contest. I actually felt sorry for Cameron, just because - whether I agree with his party's policies or not - it looks like he just isn't very good at playing this game. And that's the worst possible reason for not voting for him.

I am probably the only one that has praised all 3 leaders

:shock:

I wonder whether you would point out where you have (genuinely) done so with Clegg?

You may have said that you understand why the public might have liked him, that you think he, like the others, will have thought he did well and that no one did too badly.

Yet you have also said that he was 'patronising and annoying', that you couldn't find yourself agreeing with anything he said, that he went for 'cheap shots' and felt you needed to post an article from the Torygraph which tells us that Clegg 'must be stopped'.

Will they both focus on Clegg for example?

If your posts are anything to go by then Tory tactics will be to round on Clegg and the Lib Dems rather than argue against the government of the day.

I also think that was what Portillo was trying to allude to last night on This Week.

Do they think they've got Labour beaten?

Have they given up challenging Labour because they think it's too difficult?

Or is this purely electioneering and they've made a calculation about marginal seats?

I've got really mixed feelings about this. Before the debate I had been expecting smoothy Cameron to be a clear winner, Gordo to make an arse of himself, and Clegg to blow all credibility by being a stammering schoolboy.

In the end my "scoring" of the leaders was exactly as per the polls (before I saw them BTW) - Clegg was surprisingly impressive, Brown did much batter than I expected, and Cameron floundered.

As a lifelong Tory-detesting labour voter who is drifting to the LibDems you'd think this would make me very happy. But it doesn't. I can't help feeling that this is not the right way to go about an election campaign; it's a U.S.-style, media-led, X-Factor-ish popularity contest. I actually felt sorry for Cameron, just because - whether I agree with his party's policies or not - it looks like he just isn't very good at playing this game. And that's the worst possible reason for not voting for him.

The other side of the coin is we would never have seen Clegg perform as he did, he deserved the chance and he took it. That performance will get a lot of people voting LIB, the sad old jokes on the TV ( Have I got news for you for EG) take the piss out of the Lib constantly by saying the they have nothing to say or offer look a little silly now.

I know what you mean about the X-factor side to it but it was always going to happen and maybe it gets more people out to vote, that is a good thing I think overall.

I think they are here to stay now.

The good thing is that "Dave" is a broken man now, in the next 2 if he performs the same, finished...if he comes on and is completely different in personality to tries to act like a normal non Eton person....finished. He looks lost with out his bird by his side.

and that no one did too badly.

is that not praise ? find one of the left VT members saying the same about Cameron for example .. nope they are all being more one eyed than Gordon ... As I've said on the NHS Cameron was pretty convincing but only if you listened

If your posts are anything to go by

see the "?" at the end of it ..that makes it a question rather than a statement ..just saying like

Clegg got an easy ride and was deemed to be the winner as a result .. the question is will he get such an easy ride next time .. Brown for example will be something about how Clegg knifed him with his "No i don't agree line"

BTW did anyone else notice Gordon's slip when he spoke as though labour had already lost ..

He looks lost with out his bird by his side.

As with all marketing people he struggles if the script isn't followed. Look at the way he has stage managed all of his public appearances to date - FFS we even had footage of his minions crouched down following him out of Batersea the other day trying to be avoided from the cameras.

But again we come back to the old do you vote for a party or a person argument.

I would love a televised debate with people like Skinner on it so that we could see proper debate and counter arguments rather than stage managed sound bites, pre arranged questions, ridiculous polls, comments about "body language", and TV / Media companies trying to show that they run and rule.

Politics dumbed down now to a Simon Cowell level. Any one of them could have disclosed a cure for the common cold last night but if they had done that while they had a bogey hanging from their nose and wearing odd socks the "polls" would have marked them down for it

Top tip - if the second part of the series on Lagos is on at the same time for the next instalment (the judges choice), watch that much more interesting to see how people get on with life despite having **** all

Could prove very useful if Gordy returns to power :D

FFS we even had footage of his minions crouched down following him out of Batersea the other day trying to be avoided from the cameras.

I guess you haven't seen this then ?

1265qw2.jpg

I love it when you try and score points ..keep it up :-)

Top tip - if the second part of the series on Lagos is on at the same time for the next instalment (the judges choice), watch that much more interesting to see how people get on with life despite having **** all

Could prove very useful if Gordy returns to power :D

FTW :hooray:

The good thing is that "Dave" is a broken man now

sorry? :lol:

OK, i'm left of centre and all, but that is just ridiculious.

Why the feck would he be a broken man, after 1 TV debate where he did OK-ish?

The good thing is that "Dave" is a broken man now

sorry? :lol:

OK, i'm left of centre and all, but that is just ridiculious.

Why the feck would he be a broken man, after 1 TV debate where he did OK-ish?

The comments are out there Jon, Cameron with all his millions behind him and the coaching etc basically failed last night. The mud is sticking and for him some of it is coming from his own people - I tell you a bet on Ashcroft's bitch as the next Tory leader - easy money

is that not praise ? find one of the left VT members saying the same about Cameron for example .. nope they are all being more one eyed than Gordon

No, how about we are all just not terribly enamored with Cameron? We don't believe in what he says, we don't think theres much substance to it and we don't like what he proposes.

You're nearly as bad as Drat Tony, being honest. You're both biased as hell and every politics thread lets us know. It'd probably be easy to just admit you're never going to agree with one another, and that not everyone likes the Tory principle or Cameron for that matter, rather than accuse them of being cycloptic.

and that no one did too badly.

is that not praise ?

If it is, Tony, it is 'faint praise'. :winkold:

find one of the left VT members saying the same about Cameron for example

I'm quite sure that the comparison doesn't improve your position.

If your posts are anything to go by

see the "?" at the end of it ..that makes it a question rather than a statement ..just saying like

:?

The question mark at the end of where?

Clegg got an easy ride and was deemed to be the winner as a result .. the question is will he get such an easy ride next time .. Brown for example will be something about how Clegg knifed him with his "No i don't agree line"

I would agree that he probably got an easier ride than he is likely to get in the next two - though I think the Tories and Labour ought to be very careful about having both of them attack Clegg.

They might then look like bullies attacking the small boy who spoke up 'above his station'.

That would not be sensible (especially as it would have Gordo and Dave looking quite similar).

I also think that a lot of the 'success' was due to people not knowing very much about him beforehand. Whether that is also because he broke the shackles of being shouted down by a boorish group of several hundred Tory and Labour MPs at PMQs and was able to genuinely express himself or whether it was just because he was 'new', I'm not sure. I do genuinely think that Clegg is a more personable politician than the other two (whether that ought to have much of a bearing on elections is a different kettle of bananas).

p.s. Dave and Gary Barlow? Which one is the genius behind the success? :P

You're nearly as bad as Drat Tony,

Nearly? - Pah! - you would be amazed at the "conversations" that Tony and I have on other web sites and see that we actually get on and agree on a load of things - damn I have even been in the pub with the Tory numpty :-)

Tony as normal you miss the point - but keep it up

sorry Ian but you tried to score points about Minions bowing unaware that there were already images of Gordon doing exactly the same thing ..almost as funny as the time you posted about Cameron trying to score points being photoed with Obama , when Brown had just finished his impromptu meeting with Obama in front of 30 Photographers who just happened to be walking in St James Park at the same time as Brown and Obama happened to be walking there

EPIC and FAIL .. there can be no other words to describe it

I can see it's the official labour line to try and deflect , God knows with their track record I'd be trying to deflect as well ..but don't be shocked when it comes back and bites you in the butt .. they are all at it , it's not unique to one side you know

Wonder which party this morning is more worried about the LibDems doing much much better at the ballot boxes if Clegg continues to impress in the next 2 televised debates.

The Tory party Mike. The Lib Dems have more to gain in seats that are typical Tory targets

As you will see on here there are some for who the Tory party message however its glossed up and marketed will show that they have not changed from the days of Thatcher. If they have become disillusioned by Lab often they have moved to a Lib Dem vote. The lib Dems will attack the Tory party typically in "affluent" constituencies and could well win more of the vote.

Tactical voting under this shit system that we have in the UK will be a factor again - basically keep out the Tory party and the return of the witches policy