The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

How is Moxley doing? I know he has a new name now, but I can't recall it. He's in the new group that's around at the mo. I honestly never thought a legit recent death match wrestler would ever get anywhere near the WWE, just goes to show that if they believe someone has talent and/or 'mic skills', they'll give them a chance. He was always very anti-censorship I recall though, so how is he doing with being PG? You know, swinging light tubes around and smashing concrete blocks on peoples heads aside...

How is Moxley doing? I know he has a new name now, but I can't recall it. He's in the new group that's around at the mo. I honestly never thought a legit recent death match wrestler would ever get anywhere near the WWE, just goes to show that if they believe someone has talent and/or 'mic skills', they'll give them a chance. He was always very anti-censorship I recall though, so how is he doing with being PG? You know, swinging light tubes around and smashing concrete blocks on peoples heads aside...

He's in a group called the Shield as Dean Ambrose.  Basically they come out the crowd and beat up faces, though it was revealed on Raw that they were being called.  They have rarely spoken except in an initial interview and some home footage they kayfabe shoot themselves backstage, and Ambrose was the one that shined most on the mic for me.

• 1 month later...

Started to get back into wrestling a few weeks ago heading up to Wrestlemania,  Been watching it on and off since 2002 but it has been pretty shoddy viewing.  Quite enjoying it at the moment, althhough Raw last week was awful.  Wrestlemania looks like it is going to be pretty crap apart from CM Punk v Undertaker and Dolph Ziggler.  The fact that all of Wrestlemanias star power is part time wrestlers shows you how bad WWE is.  CM Punk is the only wrestler with anything interesting about him.  Ziggler has the potential.  Orton needs to turn Heel.  Cena is just so boring, likewise Ryback.  I quite like the look of Roman Reigns though and I think he could be a star in the making.

Apart from that its so badly run.  People with potential just end up being beaten up by Cena/Ryback every week.  They had a big opportunity with the CM Punk shoot interview to build him up and the company around him but they messed that up. Can't see how it is going to improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Wooooooooah-oh-oh its Wrestlemania!!!!

WWE-Wrestlemania-29-XXIX-2013-Poster.jpg

Even though its shaping up to be a lacklustre shitfest, the new jersey crowd should make this a great night.

I'm looking forward to taker v punk, lesnar v hhh and cena getting booed out of the stadium.

I'm also hoping against hope that cena does a heel turn to win the belt.

Edited by Ingram85

watched some of the road to wrestlemania stuff in the last week to try and see whats happening after not watching it for about 5/6 years, few things -

john cena as the main event, one of the main reasons i agev up, he's shit, never understood the fuss

the cm punk / paul bearer stuff is a bit much to say the least

the world championship match, near the bottom of the bill between 2 guys ive never heard of whats that all about

the rock, HHH and the undertaker in the big 3 matches just like they were 10-15 years ago, on paper sounds like they are struggling

I used to love wrestling with a passion and have even been tempted to just take a sneaky peak at the odd Raw and Smackdown that are on sky. It's just not what it used to be when I was younger.

I was a fan when Mankind was being thrown from the top of a cell by the Undertaker up until when the Hardy Boys used to reign supreme as the shows 'high-flyers'... Then the merge stuff started coming about and I just lost the interest. I was at school so yes my attentions may have turned elsewhere, but still... Wrestling is something that you can enjoy as a youngster and as an adult.

What happened to it? I don't know what it lost exactly, but it lost something... You don't get any Stone Cold Stunners anymore, that's for sure.

Edited by Tayls

I havent watched it since I was in my teens but some of the characters it used to have were just fantastic. Stone Cold, Rock, Undertaker & Kane (when they were dark), Generation X, Mankind. 

I used to love all the Ministry of Darkness v Corperation stuff too....   then you had the Rock and Stone Cold going solo. All the fueds between Stone Cold and Vince were entertaining. I'm sure a huge part of me going off it was finding other interests, but I just can't imagine them having characters anywhere near as good as those anymore. The fact that Undertake, Rock and HHH are all still some of the biggest stars suggests it. 

Edited by PieFacE

Its been mostly shit since tayls, showed a few signs of life a few years ago with the 'summer of punk' but that lost all momentum and meant punks subsequent record breaking title reign didn't mean as much, and now rocks got the belt it has flat lined again. 

Plus even though cena has not been champion for a while he has still been the ever present bore fest as always.

Its been mostly shit since tayls, showed a few signs of life a few years ago with the 'summer of punk' but that lost all momentum and meant punks subsequent record breaking title reign didn't mean as much, and now rocks got the belt it has flat lined again. 

Plus even though cena has not been champion for a while he has still been the ever present bore fest as always.

The problem with most of the matches tonight is you can reasonably predict who will win them.

You have some fueds thrown together at the last minute and others dragged on way to long. Its been nearly a year building up to Cena and Rock part 2 and a lot of the excitement has been sucked out of it.

While Punk and Undertaker will be great its taken for granted the outcome is going one way.

There still putting the same guys over time and time again and not giving the newer talent the chance to shine.

Cesaro isnt even on the show and the miz who headlined it 2 years ago is in the preshow.

They really messed up the punk story when he "couldnt give a shit" etc ......they need to wheel out the old lads to make this anyway decent (taker,hhh) both of who should be retired ......what next the nature boy to make a return ?

I don't understand why it changed so much. I agree characters like Steve Austin, Kane - who was my favourite until even he changed, The Heartbreak Kid etc were awesome. I used to hate the rock until a point where he and I think stone cold started cleaning house on some of Vince McMahons minions and partnering up on some other occasions.

DX... They were cool too! X-Pac, Billy Gunn, Road Dogg.... Awesome.

The new guys all seem too 'pretty' to go and do something really extraordinary with their stories. It's not about looking like the biggest man on the show, the way the individuals act is important as that is what make it. The new guys just do not convince me with their stories.

Some of the finishing moves are useless as well.... What's Cena's at the moment? Surely that's no different to a body slam or a suplex? Who the hell ever got pinned from one of those?

Edited by Tayls

I heard, or read, or watched something a while back about the WWE.

It said that they were basically seeing the success that UFC and the like were having and trying to build on that. Thaty's why so many Superstars now use their real name (or something that sounds like a real name). They're trying to make it more realistic (I guess) or at least give it that legitimate athlete feel. The amount of pantomime characters that we're used to coming through is reducing significantly.

And the overwhelming opinion is that it's shit because of it. That, combined with the PG direction they've taken it in just doesn't match how it used to be.

I haven't watched it properly in years, so I can't really comment on how accurate that is, but sounds like it makes sense.

And, again I'm guessing this, I reckon because they are the only real BIG organisation now (TNA are close but lets be honest, not really up there) that their ratings are better than ever. So to the big wigs, it looks like it's working.

You'll always be biased to your own "era" when you were growing up. But I remember the 1998 to 2003 ish period (up until the "invasion") with a huge amount of fondness. It was incredible. Whenever I turn on these days it just doesn't even remotely compare.

And, again I'm guessing this, I reckon because they are the only real BIG organisation now (TNA are close but lets be honest, not really up there) that their ratings are better than ever. So to the big wigs, it looks like it's working.

Complete opposite.

Ratings have been in the toilet for a while now.

The problem they have is they lost a lot of the audience in the PG era. Now the audience that's left is either the absolute hard core wrestling fan, or kids.

The kids love John Cena, and so when John Cena isn't focused heavily ratings take a dive. Mostly because they've done nothing to actually build up the other talent. Which is another reason why we're still stuck with the likes of HHH and The Rock coming along to pop ratings. There's no other real big stars, and every time they attempt to make one the ratings actually dip.

Punk's run with the title for instance, got pushed away from the headline spot so Cena could close out shows because that's what pops ratings. They literally panic every time ratings take a slight dip. They rebooked an entire PPV the week before not long ago because the ratings tanked when the initial matches were sorted.

To rebuild the product into something that more than kids want to watch is going to take a while, it's going to need a complete rebuilding of most of the roster. People need to be turned into credible threats rather than how it is now where Cena can just beat who he likes on a whim because, hey, it's John Cena. There's enough talent in the roster with guys like Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Antonio Cesaro. The problem is people have been so badly misused in the past no one believes they are actually going to win anything.

They've started turning things around and building up some people, but it's going to take a long time for the product to recover from Cena. The best thing that could happen to WWE is for Cena to pick up an injury that keeps him out for a while.

WWE's biggest problem is Vince, he's still in love with the monster bodybuilder type, and not the smaller guy with more talent. Looks still get people pushed by Vince which is why Ryback got a monster push despite being pretty damn shit. Hopefully with HHH taking over we'll move away from that, he's already bought in some awesome talent. Just a matter of waiting to see how well it's actually used.

• Like 2

How do the 'old guard' get a look in now when It comes to arranging matches? Do they still have a storyline? (Undertaker, Kane etc)

I'm sure Cena is an entertaining athlete, I have seen a couple of his matches when my intrigue has got for the better of me... I just dislike the stories now. Probs because of the PG rating as mentioned above. I never knew that.

Undertaker is pretty much a once a year wrestler now, just to keep up his Wrestlemania streak, which they'll have to end at some point (not this year though).

he worst thing they could do is let the undertaker retire with his streak intact. It's going to be the easiest way to make a guy, being the guy that ends the streak is instant credibility.

Kane's still heavily involved in storylines. Jericho comes back every now and then. Big Shows still heavily involved. Don't think there's too many others that are from the attitude era still kicking about. The likes of The Rock and HHH just turn up every now and then when they want to sell more PPVs.

Cena isn't an entertaining athlete, that's the problem. His matches are very formulaic. He just does the same things every time, he's really bad at selling, and can't act for shit. You never believe that Cena actually cares about anything, he just laughs off all threats.

I remember the wwe for blokes like dlo brown, viscera, hardcore holly, and the women, trish stratus, lita, terri runnels, think the last time I watched it was when the nwo come into it briefly, probably ten years ago

Â