The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

On 05/04/2021 at 10:09, Demitri_C said:

You know Vince is going to pull out all the stops to make this a huge deal.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

WM average at best.

I've not seen a push killed this quick since Zack Ryder.

Well that was the drizzling squits. Too many matches, too many wrestlers. 2 nights of mediocrity. There’s just too much going on and not enough being done with the good talent to make me care about them.

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Spoiler

I mean they been building uo the fiend for so long and they end the match like that? Brilliant booking vince killing the chatchter.

Also what was the point of edges comeback story for him just to lose like that? Again poor booking.

Was a very average WM considering the circumstances.

Meanwhile in New Japan, Taichi and Tama Tonga are going to have a ladder match for the ownership of the iron fingered glove, the same glove which drove Iizuka to madness, and is supposedly possessed with an evil spirit. 

You'd be forgiven for thinking that NJPW is all serious, all the time, but that really isn't the case. We've also got the completely bananas storyline of KENTA stealing Yoshi Hashi's rod and pretending it can talk (turns out it didn't want to be with YH anymore because he is ugly), and Yanu Toru's streak as the KOPW champion...I sometimes wonder if I've accidently put DDT on instead.

With WM Weekend comes a shit ton of indie shows in the states, with GCW alone putting on 12, yes, twelve, shows. I haven't watched any of them yet, but I will see RSPringbreak, the Alex Colon and Jimmy Lloyd produced shows, plus Blood Sport and maybe the Acid Cup. Alex Colon's show crowned their first Ultraviolent champion. The promotion has needed another title for a long time (especially as two of their three titles can't be competed for at the moment, rightly or wrongly on GCWs part), and making it an exclusively DM title is a great idea. They could become the BJW of America if they run a heavyweight and death match division side by side. They could even have a third title for the no rope 'blood sport' matches too.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark side of the ring season 3 trailer

Starts early May

I'll spoiler the following, due to it's rather grizzly content, it's a trailer specifically for the Nick Gage episode, with Jon Moxley talking about their first match 

Spoiler

I watched all the CZW shows at this time, as they'd progressed past the blend of ultra violence and trash wrestlers like Wifebeater, Lobo, and Zandig at this point, but managed to retain the ultra violence and have some really good wrestlers on the roster. It was a time where Moxley, Gage, Thumbtack Jack, Drake Younger and others were all active and having great, but crazy, matches. The Moxley Gage rivalry was really good, and they not so much teased as almost confirmed a future rematch during WM weekend, which would be amazing. 

I had thought Moxley's days of ultra violence were done, but there's no way there isn't going to be tubes, glass panes, and kenzans involved when they do meet again. 

Edited by hogso

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the first couple of episodes of the new season of Dark Side of the Ring today - they're parts one and two on Brian Pillman. 

He was before my time wrestling wise, as I didn't really start watching until about 97 - the year he died. 

So, it was nice to understand his history with extra context, and what he was trying to do. Indeed, before Austin 3:16, he was doing stuff that was kinda proto Stone Cold. Austin is in the episode at length too.

I think it's in part one that you'll hear a wonderful sound bite which makes the whole thing worth watching. A friend, and something of a mentor and confident from Pillman's Pro football days, is approached by him for some advice on how to deal with Vince during his contract negotiations with WWF. It's fantastic, and hilarious.

The next episode airs either today or tomorrow overnight in America. It's the Nick Gage episode, who I would stop short of saying I'm a fan of, but I am a fan of Death Match wrestling, and Gage is probably one of the guys I've seen wrestle most, such has been his longevity (apart from the obvious two periods of hiatus!) in promotions I've watched for years. 

Watched the whole AEW show from last night today for the first time in a very long time. Very impressed, everything seemed to have it's place and there was next to no filler. I can see why the ratings are doing so well in the US. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Watched the whole AEW show from last night today for the first time in a very long time. Very impressed, everything seemed to have it's place and there was next to no filler. I can see why the ratings are doing so well in the US. 

Aew is bloody good. Im enjoying it more than wwe.

I think Kenny omega is absolutely destroying it as a heel champion. 

I think MJF is probably the best heel in wrestling right now. He really is so unlikable!!

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Only real downers were the OC injury curtailing the Pac match (but they did so well covering for it in the moment that I didn't twig it was legit until much later, and thankfully as OC is gonna be fine then that triple threat is shaping up to be sweeeeeet) and the Cody promo which was bit cringe (are we really still doing AMURIKAH! angles in 2021?).  Also maybe too little Thunder Rosa, but there had to be some filler I guess.  And any show without a Penta match in it I automatically deduct 2 points from.

Loving heel Young Bucks taking the piss out of absolutely everything.  The shot of Daniels bleeding over their trainers was *chef kiss*.

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think MJF is probably the best heel in wrestling right now.

Ah, I see you are unfamiliar with the work of Jay White :D

Watched the Nick Gage episode of Dark Side of the Ring earlier today. Really good stuff, although I was familiar with all of the topics covered. I didn't like the hyperbolic nature of the dialogue used on the voice over, though - things like 'most unbelievable match in death match history' and 'the best death match worker in the world' when anyone who knows current DM wrestling understands that simply isn't true. He might not even be top 5 DM workers in North America at the moment. 

Anyway, worth a watch, was particularly good to see David Arquette's take on their match. 

Was wasn't so good was seeing so many wrestlers in the clips and thinking 'dead, dead, dead, retired, dead, retired'...

WON have reported that there have been talks between WWE and NJPW about a potential long term working relationship. That would be cool, as long as three things happened;

G.O.D v The Usos

Jay White v Finn Balor

Well I say three, let's be honest, it would worth it just for Tanahashi v Cena

I haven't, but I'll keep an eye out for it from my usual source, as I imagine his GCW match will be covered there too. Even watching highlights back of it now I get chills; I really thought he was terribly injured! 

He was a joke, obviously, for many years. He clearly knows the biz, and loves pro wrestling though, so I think his return earns some plaudits at the very least, cos he isn't terrible.

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2021 at 17:15, Wainy316 said:

Pete Dunne has auctioned off his England inspired ring gear and the beneficiary....Acorns!

Surely the Bruiserweight is one of our own?

I read years ago that Pete Dunne is a Wolves fan.

That said I have tried to Google it to find what I read, but all I could find is a picture of Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate and Trent Seven stood on the pitch at Molineux. It's not definitive proof in the slightest though. 

Jay White confronted Kenny Omega at the end of Impact's Slammiversary PPV last night. He's the current NEVER Openweight champ in NJPW, probably the best heel on the planet, but more significantly are what this means for Bullet Club versus...whatever Omega, Good Brothers and Don Callus are. 

He didn't challenge him / them or anything, as soon as Jay got in the ring, FinJuice came to attack the Good Bros, but the Jay got back in and hit the Blade Runner on Finlay. 

An awful lot of history between all three groups... 

Also of significance was what appeared to be the tease of a super show in Vegas featuring Impact, AAA, AEW and NJPW. That would be great! 

On 12/04/2021 at 10:50, GarethRDR said:

Zack Ryder / Matt Cordona is currently embroiled in a pretty wild fued with Nick Gage in GCW. They've got a match set for the strap on 24th July, with Gage making the normal threats...I'd be surprised if it wasn't a match featuring glass, which would obviously be a bit of a departure for Cardona, and I also wouldn't be surprised if Cardona beats him through some sort of run in...when RSP beat him for the strap thanks to 44OH!s involvement, the heat was nuclear, and replicating that with a 'big' name would be quite a moment. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Nick Gage. He'll be making his AEW debut in a No-Rules match against Chris Jericho on the July 28th episode of Dynamite.

I don't know if he'll be in AEW long term as I'm not sure the bright lights of a major promotion is really his scene, but he'll be facing Chris Jericho on Wednesday which should make for a fun match. 

Â