The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

NJPW is back, has kicked off with the New Japan Cup

GCW is also back, they're running two outdoor social distance complying shows so they can have fans. Not many, but good to see

Probably the biggest news in wrestling at the minute is the speaking out movement. Many, many wrestlers have been accused of sexual assault and harassment. I guess the biggest name (so far, there are more all the time it seems) is Matt Riddle. I have to say though, of all the things coming out, that's the one I'm not sure I believe. 

The other names...there are masses of accusations against British wrestlers, or those based over here. Jimmy Havoc, Travis Banks, El Ligero, David Starr, Joey Ryan...not a good look for the business as a whole over here. 

Jack Gallagher got released from WWE the other day after allegations of rape. I'm not sure why WWE singled him out, but I do believe his response on Twitter was seen as an apology which could be construed as an admission of guilt.

Matt Riddle for instance took a less tactful approach and claimed the woman accusing him was crazy which seems to have worked. So without proof Riddle remains for now. 

I am curious to see how AEW handle the Jimmy Havoc thing. We know that WWE like to sweep things under the rug unless given no choice, I'm not sure what AEW do as this is their first potential controversy. 

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from the above the last thing I posted about in here was Danny Havoc's suicide, I think. Moxley wore a t shirt dedicated to him this week on AEW, nice to see. Surprisingly they had very few matches against each other in CZW, which in hindsight is a terrible shame. 

Also, anyone keeping up to date with NJPW? The last week or so has been fantastic, catch up while avoiding spoilers if you can. 

On 21/06/2020 at 15:57, Daweii said:

Jack Gallagher got released from WWE the other day after allegations of rape. I'm not sure why WWE singled him out, but I do believe his response on Twitter was seen as an apology which could be construed as an admission of guilt.

Matt Riddle for instance took a less tactful approach and claimed the woman accusing him was crazy which seems to have worked. So without proof Riddle remains for now. 

I am curious to see how AEW handle the Jimmy Havoc thing. We know that WWE like to sweep things under the rug unless given no choice, I'm not sure what AEW do as this is their first potential controversy. 

I thought riddle was gay?

On 02/06/2020 at 10:34, Wainy316 said:

The above reading just randomly made me remember when Headbanger Mosh wrestled for a while as Harry the Beaver Cleavage.  A guy with serious mommy issues.

With that in mind, what do people think is the worst gimmick ever?

Right to Censor (Attitude Era) 

The Oddities. (Earthquake John Tenta dressed as Golga)

On 02/06/2020 at 17:41, sharkyvilla said:

Kai En Tai, not sure if they had the worst or best gimmick

Managed by "Mr Yamaguchi-san"   :crylaugh:

"I choppy choppy your pee pee" as he once said to Val Venus on an episode of War Zone whilst wielding a samurai sword.

On 02/06/2020 at 20:24, Zatman said:

no surprise Hogan comes across as a prick

Hogan was the biggest piece of shit going in that industry. 

On 03/06/2020 at 18:00, Demitri_C said:

Repo man 😂

Brilliant.

Much preferred Barry Darsow in his days being 'Smash' of Demolition though. My favourite WWF tag team of all time.

Can anyone set an argument between me and the missus, I don’t want to google She said Billy Gunn won brawl for all but I think it was Bart Gunn. Also we can’t remember the professional heavyweight who he fought, AlI can vaguely remember it was a bald fat bloke. Answers very much appreciated

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Managed by "Mr Yamaguchi-san"   :crylaugh:

"I choppy choppy your pee pee" as he once said to Val Venus on an episode of War Zone whilst wielding a samurai sword.

What about Jeff Jarrett and Tennessee  Lee, that’s JE FF J ARR E TT, Ain’t he great......🤣

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Can anyone set an argument between me and the missus, I don’t want to google She said Billy Gunn won brawl for all but I think it was Bart Gunn. Also we can’t remember the professional heavyweight who he fought, AlI can vaguely remember it was a bald fat bloke. Answers very much appreciated

It was Bart Gunn and he fought Butterbean

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Right to Censor (Attitude Era) 

The Oddities. (Earthquake John Tenta dressed as Golga)

Right to Censor was a great gimmick, they were done to take the piss out of people that were vocal in the media about the product, think they were a religious cult like group. 

They were so annoying and haf shit music that made them perfect heels 😂

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Would strongly recommend you give the Dark Side of the Ring episode on it a watch, it's one of the better ones. 

Lots of input from Russo, Cornette, JR, Godfather, Gunn and Droz. 

I'm kind of surprised that the inspiration wasn't UFC and / or Pancrase, as UFC's popularity was growing at the time, and shoot fighting was big in Japan at the time. 

If you watched at the time, you'll see why it was so easy to mix up Billy and Bart Gunn, who tagged as the smoking gunns some time prior to Brawl for all. They practically looked the same. 

Edited by hogso
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Yep 100% it was Bart Gunn (much to the WWF's dismay) and he fought Butterbean at Wrestlemania. The doc Hogso has linked is brilliant

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep 100% it was Bart Gunn (much to the WWF's dismay) and he fought Butterbean at Wrestlemania. The doc Hogso has linked is brilliant

Will give it a go 👍

Absolutely loved the wrestling in the late 90s. Remember well Kane emerging, his battle with the undertaker at wrestlemania. I think he twatted

Vader with a wrench as well. Stone cold versus DX and Mike Tyson

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Right to Censor was a great gimmick, they were done to take the piss out of people that were vocal in the media about the product, think they were a religious cult like group. 

They were so annoying and haf shit music that made them perfect heels 😂

RTC were in response to the PTC (Parents Television Council) who would regularly picket WWF shows. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

What about Jeff Jarrett and Tennessee  Lee, that’s JE FF J ARR E TT, Ain’t he great......🤣

I preferred it when he had Debra and her 'Puppies' as his valet!   :lol:   His "Don't P!$$ me off" gimmick.

(Debra was Stone Cold's wife at one time in real life)

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Â