The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

19 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

AEW is less than a year old tbf and still a better product than WWE at the moment. 

Give them a few years.

NXT says hi.

NXT>AEW>NXT UK> Raw/Smackdown.

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wrestlemania in crisis. Reigns has pulled out of his match with goldberg. Apparently a few superstars have had sickness.

Just shows how stupid it was still to do a  show

Yeah, I read earlier that The Miz, Kevin Owens, John Morrison, The Uso's and Edge also won't be on the show which has apparently been mostly taped already.

This PPV is a mess. 

Edit: There is a chance misinformation is being spread online. There are now conflicting reports that Kevin Owens did wrestle on the WrestleMania tapings. Who knows what is true anymore. 

Edited by Daweii

36 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Yeah, I read earlier that The Miz, Kevin Owens, John Morrison, The Uso's and Edge also won't be on the show which has apparently been mostly taped already.

This PPV is a mess. 

Edit: There is a chance misinformation is being spread online. There are now conflicting reports that Kevin Owens did wrestle on the WrestleMania tapings. Who knows what is true anymore. 

If edge doesnt wrestle either the show will.be a utter flop. Be interesting what they do with roman out. Rumours are strowman will replace roman.

I would have made it a triple threat with wyatt and cena

I've recommend it before, but Dark Side of the Ring is pretty essential viewing for fans - especially the new series. 

The first two episodes revolve around Benoit. Loads of input from his son, JR, Jericho, Vicki Guerrero, Chavo, Dean Malenko...and no punches are pulled. You simply must see it of you were a wrestling fan of the era. The first episode is as much about Eddie as it is Chris. 

The third episode (aired last night so haven't seen it yet) focuses on New Jack. That's gonna be a blast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hogso said:

I've recommend it before, but Dark Side of the Ring is pretty essential viewing for fans - especially the new series. 

The first two episodes revolve around Benoit. Loads of input from his son, JR, Jericho, Vicki Guerrero, Chavo, Dean Malenko...and no punches are pulled. You simply must see it of you were a wrestling fan of the era. The first episode is as much about Eddie as it is Chris. 

The third episode (aired last night so haven't seen it yet) focuses on New Jack. That's gonna be a blast. 

Is this on uk tv? I know season 1 is on 4od but not sure about season 2. 

New Jack is a word removed. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Is this on uk tv? I know season 1 is on 4od but not sure about season 2. 

New Jack is a word removed. 

Not yet, it'll be on Vice first (if you've got that, it's on my TV list (I'm with BT on their entertainment package)), and some time later will find its way to 4oD and Vice's YouTube channel I guess. 

I'm getting hold of it via other means.

I've checked and there are no listings on the Vice channel in the UK yet.

As for New Jack, well yeah. He was a massively dangerous guy for others to work with, unpredictable, reckless, brash...all the things you don't want from a professional worker! However...partly for those reasons, and partly for that wild use of 'Natural Born Killas' in his matches (has anyone else ever used music during matches to such great effect?), I did love watching his matches on old ECW tapes. Weirdly, Cornette likes the guy, which is odd as he has a massive issue with death match wrestling.

If you look back over his career, it's very telling that he had very little major work after ECW, barely anyone went near him, the only promotions most people have ever heard of that he worked for after that were XPW and CZW - although he did have a short time with TNA in the very early days. It's also telling to me that he didn't go anywhere near the ultraviolent stuff in the late 90s. 

Prime character for this sort of documentary though. And after him Brawl for All, then it's Jimmy Snuka, and the alleged murder he committed. 

Would love to see one one on Haku / Meng / King Tonga. Some obscene stories about him, my favourite;

Spoiler

Sauce

On March 3, 1989, Fifita got into an altercation with five men at the Baltimore Airport bar, who approached him, with one of them going as far as calling wrestling “fake”. “Yeah, I’ll show you how fake it is”, responded Fifita, and he reached over and grabbed the man who said it, while three others jumped on him, repeatedly punching him. But they were no match for Fifita, who knocked all three of them out, and then applied the Tongan Death Grip (the wrestler darts his hand under an opponent’s chin and grabs a hold of a pressure point above the throat, squeezing the nerve. This cuts off the air supply and the opponent fades out) on one of them.

What Fifita did next was unthinkable. He bit the nose of the man he initially grabbed and spat it out! The others saw him spit out their friend’s nose, and before he could fight them, they wisely decided to quickly evade. Fifita acknowledged this incident years later, while also adding that he saw on the news that he was being sued $2.5 million for the incident.

“…and on our way out there were five guys just sitting there. Of course, the same thing came out. The ‘fake’ stuff. ‘Hey, are you guys with those guys – wrestlers? The fake wrestlers on TV?’ You know. I said, ‘Yeah. I’ll show you.’ And I reached over without thinking – there are four other guys there (laughs) – grabbed his face, and bit his nose off. Then the fight started. Me and Siva kind of cleaned house there and left. I’ll never forget it (laughs).”

-Tonga Fifita

Edited by hogso

Jake Roberts on Haku

If I had a gun and was sitting inside a tank with one shell left and Meng (Haku) is 300 yards away, he’s mine, right? Well the first thing I’m going to do is jump out of the tank and shoot myself because I don’t want to wound that son of a bitch and have him pissed off at me.

I watched the New Jack episode last night, it covers his early career, ECW, Mass Transit, Vic Grimes, Gypsy Joe and Hunter Red. The man himself is interviewed, as well as Cornette, Sandman, D'Lo Brown (who was a member of the Gangsta's in SMW with Mustafa (whose infamously bizarre antics are laid bare here!) and Jack), plus one of the midget wrestlers who worked with Mass Transit. 

It was kind of awful to find some of it genuinely funny, but it was mostly a sad story of a guy with a shitty upbringing, a bad drug habit, victim of relentless racism, and the resulting short fuse those things produced in him.

They did briefly touch on the emergence of the ultra violent scene in the late 90s, but didn't really go anywhere with it. They did use clips from CZW, though, so I wonder if they'll do an episode on that scene from '99-'02 at some point? Cos it was completely wild, but they'd be retreading ground that has already been covered in Vice's own DM documentary, or Mondo's two (Unscarred and The Trade). 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Thoughts on wrestlemania?

I'm surprised how many people loved undertaker v AJ Styles. 

Although being a bit of a hypocrite I really enjoyed Cena and Wyatt

Just seems a bit of a waste of AJ Styles to me.  2 out of his 5 Manias have been this match and a match against Shane McMahon.

• 2 weeks later...
Â