The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

I love wrestling. Always have and probably always will. Admittedly it is nowhere near as good as it was in the Hogan & Ultimate Warrior days or the attitude era with the likes of Stone Cold, The Rock & DX but I still watch it every week regardless :-)

Attitude Era was amazing. I was just the right age to enjoy it and it was so entertaining.

I'll never forget some of those matches. Mankind vs Taker Hell in a Cell in 1998 (my fav match ever)

Edge and Christian vs Hardy Boyz in their first ladder match (no-one had done ladder matches like they do these days up until that point. They were the first in the WWF and it was awesome)

Rock vs Stone Cold from Wrestlemania 15 (Jesus, 15! Isn't it WM 27 this year? Scary!)

Attitude Era was amazing. I was just the right age to enjoy it and it was so entertaining.

I'll never forget some of those matches. Mankind vs Taker Hell in a Cell in 1998 (my fav match ever)

Edge and Christian vs Hardy Boyz in their first ladder match (no-one had done ladder matches like they do these days up until that point. They were the first in the WWF and it was awesome)

Rock vs Stone Cold from Wrestlemania 15 (Jesus, 15! Isn't it WM 27 this year? Scary!)

I liked the Dudley Boyz. Remember the Tables Ladders and Chairs match?

I miss wrestling, how it used to be. I think on the 26th March it will be 10 years since wrestling died!

I remember watching my Wrestlemania 8 video every weekend for about 2 years until I lost it (I'm sure someone hid it!).

Last year I bought the complete set of Raw is War from 1997 on DVD, brilliant memories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVKaHiXbRIE&feature=related

I love how when the fat bastard sets the ladders up near the end he checks to make sure he's inline with the tables just to make sure he goes through them perfectly.

yup those ladders are a crazy height to be jumping from.

I got back into watching it around 2006-08 but constantly got sick of how McMahon was pushing it away from the wrestling side to the entertainment side. I remember ECW One Night Stand/s being the odd occasion when we had glimpses back into the 'Attitude era' with Edge putting in some brilliant heel performances.

The constant push of Cena did my head in and was probably the reason why I stopped watching it, I felt sorry for him in the end, they could have turned him heel just like The Rock when he got the boos as a face but kept electing to please the 10 year-olds. To be fair, that's probably their biggest merchandise revenue stream but it did alienate fans like me. I guess I'll always have memories of growing up smack bang in the middle of the Attitude era and going in the playground the next day with 'Did you see that?!' and practicing the DX taunts. Great times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVKaHiXbRIE&feature=related

Great match.

But This was the match that started all those ladder matches. before that, ladder matches were shit.

27? They should call it the 10 year anniversary of the best Wrestlemania ever.

Yeh 17 was awesome!

TLC 2, Rock vs Stone Cold, Shane vs Vince...if I remember correctly?

In fact I had that on VHS I think :D

27? They should call it the 10 year anniversary of the best Wrestlemania ever.

Yeh 17 was awesome!

TLC 2, Rock vs Stone Cold, Shane vs Vince...if I remember correctly?

In fact I had that on VHS I think :D

Plus HHH vs Undertaker and a hardcore triple threat between Kane, The Big Show and Raven, that was one of the best matches actually.

Still got it on VHS 8)

Yeah WM 17 was the greatest ever.

I am really enjoying the WWE product at the moment, it is probably the best it's been in a good few years at the moment.

They will never recapture the glory days of the attitude era, because the edginess and storyline styles were unheard of at the time. It was the biggest thing going from 1998-2000. It really was huge.

I remember when Austin started his rise everybody in American was wearing Austin 3:16 shirts such as NFL players and other celebrities.

I turned 14 in 1998 so it was the perfect time for me to embrace the WWF Attitude.

Been a fan ever since although now I know all about the business it is more difficult to suspend belief and I find myself wanting things to happen for storyline devlopments sake rather than cheering on my favourite wrestler.

I read that "Austin 3:16" tshirts are the biggest selling piece of "sports" memorabilia in history.

Yeah I heard that too. He has made more money for Vince than anyone, including Hogan.

I think it's fair to say at the height of Austin popularity in 98 - early 99, no other wrestler has ever been close to that level. I'll never forget the sustained pandemonium in the crowd that time he came out on the Zamboni and whooped Vince's ass.

Also for the people listing WM 17 matches, don't forget the awesome pure wrestling match between Angle and Benoit.

Totally agree with everything you said Stevo, i think we are the same age so it makes sense.

Havent watched it for 10 years now but that time between 97-2001 was immense, obviously helped i was the perfect age just like yourself. Stone cold was awesome, the undertaker/kane/man kind rivalry was brilliant. Shawn Michaels and Hitman were still in their prime although i never liked Brett for some reason.

Also remember watching live on the night when owen hart (blue blazer) fell from his entrance wire thingy, that was terrible, should have cancelled the rest of the show really.

Yeh I was watching (the appropriately titled) "Over the Edge" when Owen Hart fell.

I never really saw Brett Hart and Michaels in their prime. 1999 was when I started watching it properly. Although I'd seen some PPVs previousl (Like the Mankind taker Hell in a Cell). My first PPV once I'd started watching it properly was Valentine's Day Massacre (debut of the Big Show and Rock vs Mankind Last Man Standing) and that was the year of WM15. I've seen some Michaels and Hart matches though, obviously the screwjob being the most (in)famous.

Only watched it for a couple of years. WM 18 was the last one I really watched (Rock vs Hogan). Once WCW and ECW "invaded" and they split Raw and Smackdown it just seemed shit to me.

Â