The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

Yeah, his achievements in Japan shouldn't be forgotten. First gaijin heavyweight champ, broke Inoki's win streak, won the Triple Crown in AJPW too, and had loads of tag team success. Pretty much the archetype for what Japanese fans expected from an American wrestler for many years to come (maybe a bit harsh on Stan Hansen), even during NJPW's dark days when they put the strap on Big Bob Sapp. Watch anything you can from him during '89 to '93, the way the guy moved for a dude his size should be seen to be believed.

GCW have booked Nick Gage v Meng (aka. Haku) for their 'Lost in New York' event. **** insane. I'll be at the NJPW show in MK this weekend - anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

anyone watch extreme rules last night? I did not and from what I am told, I didn't miss anything 

It was decent by recent standards.  Pretty entertaining and a helluva bump from KO.

The G1 is off to a great start, and remains as unpredictable as ever. Hangman Page in particular appears to be about to receive a huige push. Guess it won't be Sanada's year yet again...

• 3 weeks later...

So Kane does a Jesse Ventura

WWE star Glenn Jacobs, aka Kane, elected mayor in Tennessee

:snip:

Mr Jacobs rose to fame in the mid-90s with his breakthrough character Kane, the masked half-brother of The Undertaker.

But despite Kane being described as "a monstrous abomination that seems to have been extracted directly from your childhood nightmares", Mr Jacobs believes his former career will be a help and not a hindrance.

"The thing someone like me brings to a race like this is, because of who I am, I can put Knox County in a positive light, nationally," he told local news station WBIR. "There are so many great things our county has to offer, and frankly the rest of the country needs to know about it."

It is unclear if the wrestler now plans to hang up his mask for good, in order to allow him to focus on his political career. He last appeared as Kane just a few weeks ago, in June.

Mr Jacobs, who also owns an insurance business in Knoxville, will be sworn in as mayor on 1 September.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll watch it Monday evening. The build up has been terrible. The AJ/Joe segment on SD was excruciatingly cringeworthy. For such a fantastic roster the product is in the toilet. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45179731

WWE wrestler Jim Neidhart has died at the age of 63.

Also known by his stage name The Anvil, Jim was part of the Hart Foundation tag team with his brother-in-law Bret Hart.

The American wrestler was also father to Natalya, a WWE Women's and Divas champion who says her dad was "always a fighter".

The WWE did not share a cause for Jim's death, but paid tribute to him on its Monday night show and urged Natalya to "stay strong". 

WWE legend Triple H led the tributes on Twitter, saying: "The only thing bigger than his on-screen character was his heart."

The G1 was insanely good. Sad that it's ended, but it'll free up some evening time for me at least. Match of the tournament was probably Ishii v Ibushi. Some may not have liked the eventual winner, but I don't mind it - it presents the opportunity for a match up at Wrestle Kingdom next year that we haven't seen much of.

Â