The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:
  Hide contents

What happened with Jack Gallagher? I saw a couple of posts on twitter alluding to him entering the rumble or something? Don't actually follow wrestling anymore but I remember him from the Distraction Pieces podcast about 6 months ago, he's done well if he has already made it to the WWE.

Spoiler

He did and him and his umbrella wen t out after about 10-15 mins

Have to say seeing Orton vs Cena for the millionth time at WM is going to be so boring and lame

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

He did and him and his umbrella wen t out after about 10-15 mins

Have to say seeing Orton vs Cena for the millionth time at WM is going to be so boring and lame

Spoiler

I thought the Elimination Chamber is going to be for the WWE title contendership.  Seems weird considering how it turned out last night.  Once Cena won it seemed obvious that Taker would win the Rumble but no.  At least it wasn't Reigns again.

Can't say I was very impressed, other than Owens and Styles as usual.  Methinks my WWE Network can safely go into hibernation until it's free again.

Edited by sharkyvilla

I really enjoyed the Rumble overall.

I hadn't seen much WWE in the past few months, but they clearly are still sticking their fingers in their ears and ignoring that Reigns is the least over wrestler in the history of wrestling. He's a terrible character and a terrible wrestler, and they know that because they put him in at 30 where his terrible wrestling would have the least impact. He's at the point now where he'd have to either go away for a bit and come back with a totally different character, or do an enormous screwjob heel turn. The fans just boo the shit out of everything he does.

Disappointed to see Cena win but that's WWE for you.

7 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I really enjoyed the Rumble overall.

I hadn't seen much WWE in the past few months, but they clearly are still sticking their fingers in their ears and ignoring that Reigns is the least over wrestler in the history of wrestling. He's a terrible character and a terrible wrestler, and they know that because they put him in at 30 where his terrible wrestling would have the least impact. He's at the point now where he'd have to either go away for a bit and come back with a totally different character, or do an enormous screwjob heel turn. The fans just boo the shit out of everything he does.

Disappointed to see Cena win but that's WWE for you.

I think it might work if Vince was on TV backing his guy as a big heel but he just chucks him out there on a hiding to nothing.  I often quite like his matches but then he is usually paired with someone who could make me look like a decent wrestler.  Again I don't mind Cena winning but only if Taker won the Rumble to face him for the title v retirement match.  Orton v Cena doesn't really inspire anyone and it looks like Cena will have to lose the title almost straight away so what was the point?

23 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Really wanted to see him on Smackdown tbh. They needed it.

Smackdown Live will continue to be the better show regardless of how much WWE seem intent on sabotaging it.

The moment Smackdown Live beat Raw in the ratings for the first time ever was the moment WWE realised Smackdown had to be held back a bit.

Samoa Joe would be on Smackdown Live right now had that not happened. I mean since then Raw has been booking Lesnar, Goldberg, Undertaker (who pledged allegiance to Smackdown, I guess they conveniently forgot) week in, week out. I personally despise how poorly booked and pointlessly padded Raw is, so when I see their lame pandering to get people to tune in it turns me off even more. 

As much as I would have loved Samoa Joe on Smackdown Live, I am now personally more excited about the prospect of guys like Tye Dillinger, Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano (#DIY) potentially coming to Smackdown Live. I just hope that they use Samoa Joe well as Raw seems to have a great roster, but they only use like 5% of it at any one time and that concerns me. I fear that he'll just be their flavour of the month. 

I dunno I guess I just like supporting the underdog and I prefer wrestling than the scripted drama that Raw is these days. Yes Smackdown Live has elements of that because this is Sports Entertainment, but Smackdown Live just suits me more. So I dislike when it gets neglected or deliberately held back which is what WWE are doing right now. They are so scared that Smackdown Live will beat Raw continually that they just won't let it happen again. 

• Like 1

Seth Rollins re-injured his right knee on Raw.

Still finding out whether it's for story line purposes or if it's legit. Those behind the scenes are saying it's legit and plans are being put in place in-case he misses WrestleMania again.

I really hope it's not legit. He tore his ACL, MCL and medial meniscus in November 2015 and missed WM32 and now 60 days away from WM33 he's done his knee in again apparently (unconfirmed right now).

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:
  Hide contents

and Bray Wyatt wins the EC. Not surprised with this as rumors had Orton v Wyatt at WM for the Title

Spoiler

What was the point of Cena beating AJ?? So pointless. Should have just hd AJ drop it yesterday to Bray. Very bizarre and stupid booking

Orton vs bray meh. Much prefer AJ vs Orton

Loving Dolph Ziggler at the moment. The fans are cheering him more as a bastard bad guy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:
  Reveal hidden contents

What was the point of Cena beating AJ?? So pointless. Should have just hd AJ drop it yesterday to Bray. Very bizarre and stupid booking

Orton vs bray meh. Much prefer AJ vs Orton

Loving Dolph Ziggler at the moment. The fans are cheering him more as a bastard bad guy!

Yep it seems a bit unnecessary but I guess it's all set up for Cena to break Flair's record so they needed to give him a nothing reign somewhere along the line.

A few duds on the card (two of the three women's matches were awful which was a shame) but overall I really enjoyed EC. Ziggler handicap match was ok, Becky v Mickie was good, Orton v Harper was unexpectedly great as was the main event. I think Fastlane is going to suck big time.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's looking like it'll be Wyatt vs Harper vs Orton at WM33 which should be a good match and is months in the making which is always good to see. (typical Smackdown these days, they are killing it)

-----------

Fastlane is going to be terrible and super predictable as RAW is the worst booked show in all of wrestling. Goldberg has flattened Lesnar on numerous occasions now so he pretty much has to be booked to squash Owens. I will be surprised if the match lasts longer than the 1 minute 26 seconds Goldberg/Lesnar II lasted. Shame as the RAW main event of WM33 will be battle of the part timers for the Universal Title which just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Also not a fan of the Women's Title booking. Charlotte likely isn't losing her undefeated PPV streak at a throwaway PPV like Fastlane, so I expect Charlotte to regain and have her 5th Women's Title reign in 10 months. Also expect Bayley to break the streak at WM33 to become a 2x Women's Champion. Predictable booking and I hope to be wrong, but this is exactly how Charlotte/Sasha was booked so nothing new here.

The rest of the card? I don't really care too much. Nothing really stands out as must watch really. 

So Smackdown went all in this week.. Holy shit.

For those that haven't watched it yet I will say go watch it as some parts are great, like really really great. Those that have my thoughts are spoilered below; 

Spoiler

The opener;

Only Smackdown Live could make a throwaway potentially final feud for Nikki Bella (she might be retiring) at WrestleMania feel like must-see TV. John Cena and The Miz were on fire last night. We all know John Cena is incredible on the mic, but The Miz just injects so much to every feud as the heel with his impeccable promo delivery. He is the guy you love to hate and the perfect foil for a baby face like Cena to dismantle. The promo was so good and it has set up the mixed tag Cena/Bella vs Miz/Maryse at WM33. The match was a typical throwaway mid-card match no one would care about, but now it all feels personal and in one single promo feels like it's a feud that has been building for a decade. Great writing.  

AJ Styles vs Luke Harper;

Now I'll get this out of the way. Harper looked weak the way the match finishes as he took the pin twice last night which isn't helping him. Yes each finish was dusty, but he's still the guy that ate two pins in one night. As for AJ Styles winning it makes sense as he is the main event right now as very few are better than him. I'm still unsure if this is the end of tale or if there are more twists and turns to be had (more on that in a bit), but for now AJ Styles vs Bray Wyatt feels like a main event worthy of WrestleMania.

The closer;

This was straight out of the Attitude Era playbook and it was brilliant. Randy Orton put on the promo of his entire career as he revealed that it was all part of his plan to destroy Bray Wyatt and the Wyatt family. This promo was dark Orton had tried to dig up the corpse of the fabled Sister Abigail, but later resorted to burning down her final resting place to get into the head of Bray Wyatt. I haven't seen a promo like that since the Attitude Era where it was pretty common place to touch on dark themes and risque themes, but this was completely unexpected. Though that brings me to WM33 what is the main event going to be? Is Orton back in the main event? Where are they going next with this on the road to WM33.

Overall Smackdown Live was solid. I missed out some things, but they were largely not all that important in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

Â