Jump to content

General Wrestling Chat


Vandrell
 Share

Recommended Posts

And last night was night one of GCWs Homecoming event which culminated in the Gage v Cardona / Zack Ryder match for the strap.

Cardona didn't just take a token light tube shot to the head ala Matt Riddle. He didn't just do a death match and act like an amateur ala David Arquette. 

He wrestled a death match like a death match wrestler, and it was great. 

I'll stick the end portion of the match in spoilers just in case anyone happens to want to see it spoilerfree

Spoiler

 

I was hoping it would go down this way, and it didn't disappoint. 

They also teased Jericho coming out by playing his music, and a good portion of the crowd bought it. 

A Cordona run in to gift Jericho the match is possible on Dynamite...but that would be a direct cross over with GCW, and as much as its the norm now for that to happen with AAA, Impact and NJPW, I'm not sure it'll happen. Maybe that's just cos it hasn't happened yet, and there have been a bunch of GCW guys on Dark over the past few weeks.

Probably more likely for Jericho to win clean. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved every minute of Gage vs Cardona, everything about it was great. 

I also love that in his promo after the show he did confirm that it wasn't a one and done.

It blows my mind that Cardona has gone from Zack Ryder who oozed big dork energy to an absolute bad ass that might just do deathmatch wrestling for the rest of his career. 

Full promo in spoilers.

Spoiler

 

 

Edited by Daweii
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/05/2021 at 13:58, Wainy316 said:

Have you seen this...

Release info revealed for 'You Cannot Kill David Arquette'

 

On 28/05/2021 at 14:07, hogso said:

I haven't, but I'll keep an eye out for it from my usual source, as I imagine his GCW match will be covered there too. Even watching highlights back of it now I get chills; I really thought he was terribly injured! 

He was a joke, obviously, for many years. He clearly knows the biz, and loves pro wrestling though, so I think his return earns some plaudits at the very least, cos he isn't terrible.

BIt late as I haven't been in this topic for a while.

But I've seen this and it's really rather good. Got a lot of respect for Arquette after it and it's quite sad how his career plummeted after his WCW stuff.

He is **** mental though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, hogso said:

I'll stick the end portion of the match in spoilers just in case anyone happens to want to see it spoilerfree

  Reveal hidden contents

 

I was hoping it would go down this way, and it didn't disappoint. 

I'm failing to see the cool/fun/whatever side with this clip.  Can you enlighten?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm failing to see the cool/fun/whatever side with this clip.  Can you enlighten?

Kinda hard to sum up in short, but...goofball uber face ex WWE guy challenges one of the biggest names in North American death match wrestling, puts on a great show in a style that until now he hasn't been even close to competing in, and wins the match - hence the nuclear heat from the crowd. You probably have to be a little invested in it, and enjoy DM wrestling, to enjoy. As it happens, I tick both boxes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So AEW is about to take it up a notch if recent reports of 2 new signings are anything to go by. 

Who has been everyone’s favourite breakout star since it began? Think for me Darby Allin nudges it. He’s a real star and potentially this generations Rey Mysterio lightweight type superstar if he carries on the way he is. MJF a close second. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Death Triangle are money.  Angélico's great to watch in the ring.  Thunder Rosa's terrific.  Looking forward to seeing Brian Cage's singles push.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

So AEW is about to take it up a notch if recent reports of 2 new signings are anything to go by. 

Who has been everyone’s favourite breakout star since it began? Think for me Darby Allin nudges it. He’s a real star and potentially this generations Rey Mysterio lightweight type superstar if he carries on the way he is. MJF a close second. 

It would have to be a toss up between MJF, Darby Allin and 'Hangman' Adam Page. I know the latter had pretty decent exposure in NJPW/Bullet Club, but he has come into his own in AEW that he feels like a breakout. 

That said I just remembered Britt Baker, Thunder Rosa, Jungle Boy, Sammy Guevara... Hell, even Eddie Kingston. That guy has been in the business for like 20 years, but AEW have given him the platform to become a massive star. 

The way AEW builds talent is my favourite part about AEW. There is a reason why the promotion is growing and it is all down to building new stars and not burying them. Christian came in and put over Jungle Boy in the battle royale, that's how it should be. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bray Wyatt released from Vinces clutches. Strange but very exciting. Hope he’s ok, I’ve had a feeling he hasn’t been right mentally for a year or so now and wonder if he’s getting out the the business? Hope not and hope he goes straight to AEW. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Bray Wyatt released from Vinces clutches. Strange but very exciting. Hope he’s ok, I’ve had a feeling he hasn’t been right mentally for a year or so now and wonder if he’s getting out the the business? Hope not and hope he goes straight to AEW. 

There's been quite a few reports this year of active stars taking courses in readiness for a life outside the business, including Bray's real life brother. Think he became a 'realtor', which I guess is American for estate agent.

Re Bray, the release is no surprise. He was quite over at one point a few years ago but WWE kept on putting other people over him to the point he's become a bit of a joke. At the very least, he's not a threat. Shame really, as his early Wyatt Family and Follow the Buzzards gimmick was a good one imho.

Edited by Jonesy7211
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hogso said:

What did those non Death Match fans think of the Jericho / Gage match on AEW this week? 

Not enough spooky gas! 

It’s not for me. I just don’t like Gage at all either. But I appreciate them trying to appeal to different audiences. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Huge Black mark so I was going to be happy either way, but his in-ring debut was *chef kiss*.

On 31/07/2021 at 20:15, hogso said:

What did those non Death Match fans think of the Jericho / Gage match on AEW this week?

My favourite part was the Dominos ad running during the pizza-cutter spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/07/2021 at 08:51, Ingram85 said:

So AEW is about to take it up a notch if recent reports of 2 new signings are anything to go by. 

Who has been everyone’s favourite breakout star since it began? Think for me Darby Allin nudges it. He’s a real star and potentially this generations Rey Mysterio lightweight type superstar if he carries on the way he is. MJF a close second. 

I love Darby, has the potential to be an absolute icon but some of the bumps he takes are genuinely hard to watch when you aren't used to the less sports entertainment side of the sport like I'm not at this point. Educating myself about the wrestling world away from WWE is showing me how poor custodians of the mainstream they have been for such a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't watched wrestling in ages but randomly turned on AEW on itv. And it's Chris Jericho vs Juventude Guerrero(wtf) WCW throwback or wat. 

However the standard of wrestling is so poor. Jericho's ring craft is so lazy nowadays like so obvious where he's standing for the next move. Just looks terrible. 

Edited by KAZZAM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

General consensus is this is his retirement run. The Juvi match was the weakest of the labours thus far, the rest have been good.  Might be seeing Lance Storm turn up at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/08/2021 at 03:33, Eidolon said:

I love Darby, has the potential to be an absolute icon but some of the bumps he takes are genuinely hard to watch when you aren't used to the less sports entertainment side of the sport like I'm not at this point. Educating myself about the wrestling world away from WWE is showing me how poor custodians of the mainstream they have been for such a long time.

Some rumours about what Darby has alleged to have done this week, I guess we will see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yeah doesn’t sound good with Darby does it. Not sure it’s as bad as reported but even so he appears to have form in being a toxic dude around women. I’m scared to pick someone else to be a fan of in case they turn out to be a complete pos too. What is it about wrestlers and a lot of them being complete clearings as human beings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Haven't watched wrestling in ages but randomly turned on AEW on itv. And it's Chris Jericho vs Juventude Guerrero(wtf) WCW throwback or wat. 

However the standard of wrestling is so poor. Jericho's ring craft is so lazy nowadays like so obvious where he's standing for the next move. Just looks terrible. 

He's 50 to be fair. He's only 4 years younger than the Undertaker was when he retired, and he'd only been wrestling one match a year for years and put in some absolute stinkers towards the end of his career

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â