The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

It will be quite odd to see an explosive barbed wire match in full HD, when the most famous examples are synonymous with fuzzy 90s VHS looking visuals. I know there have been some recent examples, but not many - CZW flirted with it at the last Cage of Death, Stardom did an explosive barbed wire bat match a few years ago which is worth a look, but this sounds like full on FMW mode.

They'll do incredibly well to emulate matches like Funk / Onita and Megumi Kudo's explosive barbed wire matches, and (perhaps scarily!) they'll probably go out of their way to do so. They'll also want to make sure that the explosions are convincing, and whilst I have no doubts they'll be safe, burns will be a legitimate danger. 

What's strange is AEW are looking back to in wrestling history for some  inspiration, at a time, especially in North America, that death match wrestling has evolved in the last few years - just look at the stuff ICW No Holds Barred and Zona 23 are doing, plus no ring death matches. 

I don't doubt though that this will be something of a love letter to FMW, and with these two being involved, should be quite the spectacle. 

• Like 1

Revolution was a good card, and well worth a watch. Mild main event spoilers below, not including the result 

Spoiler

Turns out the exploding barbed wire match really doesn't translate well to the 'HD' 21st century...decent match, but the gimmick didn't work for me. 

Might also be worth mentioning that there was another, much better, barbed wire match in North America over the weekend - Jimmy Lloyd v G-Raver at GCW's Take Kare. This was of the no rope variety, but featured some great spots including a DVD through the barbed wire from inside the ring to the bare floor outside. Never seen that before. The main event, RSP v Janela is good too, featuring more nuclear heat for RSP and 44OH thanks to an unlikely heel turn. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

I’m by no means an apologist but I didn’t think it was that bad, it just didn’t work as planned, these things happen. Was still a good match. 

• Like 1

Things didn't go to plan, but AEW will spin it as any good wrestling company will. 

This won't hurt them though. ECW had three botched explosion matches. Most of the FMW exploding matches were botched in some form outside of the classics. Hell, WWE botches stuff all the time and it doesn't hurt them at all. 

AEW will learn from this, they have to learn from this. Just like when Matt Hardy almost died at All Out, everyone called that the end of AEW and guess what? They're still here, still pulling in almost 1 million viewers per week. The finish didn't go to plan, but it is what it is. 

What AEW should have done is when it failed. Send omega and his cronies come out and laugh that they tricked kingston and ambrose.

Instead having Kingston and Ambrose selling the fake explosion (which looked absolutely ridiculous as it was just fireworks nowhere near them)

People just made fun of them as it looked stupid.

Ashame as the card was really good.

Spoiler

Expecting the inner circle to turn on jericho this week with MJF taking over.  Its very predictable to me

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just watched the dr britt baker vs thunder rosa lights out match on aew.

Man that was brutal but what a bloody great match that was. The women are as good as men wrestlers these days

Are these women as good as Major Gunns

It's not just their wrestling ability. For the past couple of years the most entertaining personalities in WWE have been women. Becky in 2019, Bayley for a long time, and then the talents in NXT. Rhea Ripley could be a crossover star. Fair play to them across all the promotions.

I watched the AEW barbed wire match out of curiosity. The actual match was decent enough. The explosion was hilarious though. Reminded me massively of the exploding ring during the Terry FUnk vs Cactus Jack deathmatch in 1995

The difference then was they didn't try to sell it and basically laughed it off and got on with it.

The AEW thing was embarrassing. You'd think they'd test that

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I watched the AEW barbed wire match out of curiosity. The actual match was decent enough. The explosion was hilarious though. Reminded me massively of the exploding ring during the Terry FUnk vs Cactus Jack deathmatch in 1995

The difference then was they didn't try to sell it and basically laughed it off and got on with it.

The whole kingston and ambrose selling the exploding ring was absolutely ridiculous.  They should have just improvised and just look shocked that it was a prank or something.

Then when they tried explaining it the following week it made no sense at all. 

Watch this week's dynamite. The main event was awesome

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They did test it, allegedly it worked much better. It was an hilarious failure, but at least they had a bit of fun with it in the fallout of the event on the next show.

I've seen reference in the last day or so to Rosa / Baker being one of the best women's matches ever, I don't think it's close to being that good, but it is one of AEW's best thus far, so worth a look. 

It's the New Japan Cup tour in NJPW which is always great, and due to another long term injury to Hiromu, they've stuck a rocket to El Desperado and have got him parading about with 3 titles at the moment. 

2 hours ago, hogso said:

They did test it, allegedly it worked much better. It was an hilarious failure, but at least they had a bit of fun with it in the fallout of the event on the next show.

I've seen reference in the last day or so to Rosa / Baker being one of the best women's matches ever, I don't think it's close to being that good, but it is one of AEW's best thus far, so worth a look. 

It's the New Japan Cup tour in NJPW which is always great, and due to another long term injury to Hiromu, they've stuck a rocket to El Desperado and have got him parading about with 3 titles at the moment. 

For me there hasnt been a wwe womens match as brutal and as entertaining as that. 

For me its best ive seen. Ive never see any of the new japan stuff so cant comment on that. But this was unbelievablely good. It was like ecw for women.

49 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate how she has somehow managed to get the Isaac Yankem gimmick over?

Well she isnt a goofy dentist to start with 😂

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

For me there hasnt been a wwe womens match as brutal and as entertaining as that. 

For me its best ive seen. Ive never see any of the new japan stuff so cant comment on that. But this was unbelievablely good. It was like ecw for women.

Oh yeah, it was a good match, no doubt. New Japan don't have women on the roster, they only act as valets - due to women only promotions having a much richer history than those in the West, specifically APW (All Japan Women's Pro Resu), but promotions like Stardom, Tokyo Joshi Pro and Ice Ribbon are still pretty popular over there. 

The match this past week is a rare example of women putting on a good, uh - what would you call it? Extreme match, hardcore match? - in North America. There have been women doing that style there for years, but by and large it's trash. The only decent performer that comes to mind is Lu Fisto.

Edited by hogso

Bit of a surprise to see NJPW in the news today - but this mornings show (UK time), the 12th day of the New Japan Cup tour, was interrupted mid match by an earthquake. Hopefully the post show comments feature Jay White putting his own spin on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wrestlemania this weekend. Fans returning two day event. You know Vince is going to pull out all the stops to make this a huge deal.

My predictions is

Spoiler

Stone cold or undertaker makes a suprise appearance 

Drew McIntyre retains

Bianca belair wins

Roman retains (although i hope edge wins it)

Return of becky lynch or ronda rousey and attacks winner of aska match

Â