The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

• 2 weeks later...

So i haven't watched WWE in over a year but I got curious about the thunderdome, I made it 5mins before I tapped out.

- **** me Vince looks old

- Is that it, THAT'S the thunderdome?

- I'd heard people joke about the camera cuts but jesus christ this is making me feel sea sick!!!

Maybe the rest was amazing and I missed out ,somehow I doubt it.

Bonus points for the thunderdome reminding me of this;

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

So i haven't watched WWE in over a year but I got curious about the thunderdome, I made it 5mins before I tapped out.

- **** me Vince looks old

- Is that it, THAT'S the thunderdome?

- I'd heard people joke about the camera cuts but jesus christ this is making me feel sea sick!!!

Maybe the rest was amazing and I missed out ,somehow I doubt it.

Bonus points for the thunderdome reminding me of this;

spacer.png

I tried watching it last year and this blew my mind. It was horrible. Why on earth have they decided to do that?

AEW doesn't do it to the extreme they do. 

o9jmjreovei51.jpg

This is the Thunderdome™ for those curious.

It is merely WWE's marketing name for an arena full of people in Zoom calls making up the crowd.

I watched a bit of the first Smackdown to come from the Thunderdome™, but it didn't do anything to make me interested in the modern WWE product.

All the LED boards make the product look like some cyberpunk dystopian game show which doesn't do it for me. I am sure Smackdown looks insane through a 12 year olds eyes, but I prefer how WWE looked in late 90's/early 2000's.

It's why I prefer AEW. It's way more stripped back, it's grittier, dirtier and the pyro smoke fills the venue which also adds to that late-90's wrestling feel. WWE is too pristine, too clinical and I just can't do it anymore. 

The Thunderdome™ seems to be going well...

The fans are live fans as you'd expect and they're on a 7 second delay which isn't really enough to catch anything if they go rogue. 

The fans over Zoom calls started in a pretty tame manner with fans pretending to sleep during boring moments, or a surprise Pikachu appearing in the crowd, but things escalate after a while.

Fast forward to RAW last night and boy did it escalate. Chris Benoit appeared as a fan, there was a KKK member in the crowd as well at one point, but that's amazingly not the worst of it.

The worst was someone showing a video of an ISIS execution in place of their webcam. Now fortunately WWE has like 78 camera cuts per minute so not much was seen of the video so WWE dodged a massive bullet on that one.   

I'm not sure what WWE does going forward, but if they don't change something then Smackdown on Friday could be a mess. 

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

And to add to that they totally ruined keith lees debut. What the hell is up with his attire? And who wrote that dreadful promo for him?

What's his attire? Does he still have Mewtwo trunks?

Apart from Mania I haven't watched any (current) wrestling since lockdown.

The crowd are such an integral part for me.  I would always be put off shows if I could tell in the first the match that there was a flat crowd in the arena.

• Like 1

Been watching AEW for the last few months.  Been pretty enjoyable thus far.  Some of the comedy bits are actually quite funny (big fan of anything where wrestling just embraces it's own ludicrousness), there was a debate style promo between Chris Jericho and Orange Cassidy a few weeks backs that had me howling.  The high-flying spots can be spectacularly OTT as well...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/09/2020 at 12:17, avfcDJ said:

Roman Reigns has become the best thing in wrestling right now. Jey Uso also on fire.

Yeah i have to say this new dirwction for reigns is really good. Its going to be strabge though as bray wyatt will be his opponent very soon.  He is another heel so dont know how that will work.

Unless they give him strowman first.  Would like to see a styles vs reigns feud soon. Bryan could be back soon too

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i have to say this new dirwction for reigns is really good. Its going to be strabge though as bray wyatt will be his opponent very soon.  He is another heel so dont know how that will work.

Unless they give him strowman first.  Would like to see a styles vs reigns feud soon. Bryan could be back soon too

Bray is being turned face, I think. 

Bryan v Reigns is a good shout!

• 3 weeks later...

Spoilers - NJPW fans after the A block finals in the G1 Climax yesterday to Will Ospreay ;

Spoiler

ce018548463c43fb9cbb554dbfd0b710.gif

ICYMI, Ospreay had an outside chance of winning the block, but had to beat Okada to do so. He did, but only with more than a little help from Bea Priestley and The Great O'Kharn, aka young lion Oka who has apparently returned from excursion. 

The crowd were absolutely livid. I don't recall seeing them that animated since NJPW started having crowds again. 

As it happens, I did watch a fair bit of Progress during Ospreay's heel turn there, and that long running fued he had with Jimmy Havok was pretty good, so this could work. It'd be odd for him to be a solo heel...there's no room in Bullet Club, so the start of a new faction incoming? 

Anyway, Ibushi won the block, B block finals today which is put of Sanada, Evil and Naito for the winner. 

Dark Side of the Ring has been renewed for a 14 episode third series. 

It's unclear if any of those will be 2 parters, but topics already confirmed are the death of Brian Pillman, WCW/NJPW's infamous Clash in Korea shows, the Smith family (Grizzly Smith, Jake Roberts, Rockin Robin, Sam Houston), and something involving Nick Gage. 

I have clear bias as a massive DM fan, but a Gage episode could be awesome. Equally though it could be a David Arquette episode as he broke the news on that, and as well as the obvious noteriaty he has in wrestling, he also had a much more recent match with Gage...which in itself is quite the story. 

• Like 1

Â