PL: Portsmouth a Match Thread 2010/04/18 16:00

limpid

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another draw at best

Agreed, there's no possible way we can beat Portsmouth.

I sense an element of sarcasm in your post.

Yourself and a few others seem to be getting a little wound up with people saying we will struggle to beat or only draw against Pompey.

Pompey are a team that will sit and defend, going on recent experience we struggle to brake down teams like that, Wolves and Sunderland as example.

Its not that we have no chance its that we're struggling to brake down teams and score enough to win the games, hence why we draw a lot.

Another draw at best

Agreed, there's no possible way we can beat Portsmouth.

I didn't say that, did I?

I said I think we will draw the game. I'm sorry that it doesn't match your opinion, but it'd be pretty crap if people did post the same thing as each other. I'd suggest that if seeing people with alternative views to yourself brings out such comments, that messageboards aren't really your kind of 'thing'.

I wonder what happened to "First and foremost, our new 'Respect' campaign is specifically designed so that POSTERS RESPECT OTHER POSTERS AT ALL TIMES"

here's my prediction for the match; no matter what the result, the vast majority of posts to the reactions and ratings thread will in some way point out how the team and/or Martin O'Neill bottled it and could have done better

I really would love to see:

Guzan

Beye      Davies    Collins     Young

Petrov    Downing    Delph      Young

Milner   Gabby

And just instruct them to get the goal difference up. Anyone who shows they want it gets to keep their place.

Guzan

Milner   Gabby

And just instruct them to get the goal difference up. Anyone who shows they want it gets to keep their place.

Eh/

1. is Warnock out?

2. Petrov on the right, Downing central?

1. Nope but he looks knackered. A fresher player is a better player.

2. Downing more or less plays central each match anyway. Petrov played on the right for the first season and a half and did well there.

My reasoning for this lineup:

I'd like to give Guzan some game time and a don't think that right now Friedel is a better keeper.

Beye is great going forward and has a lot more quality on ball than Cuellar. Plus he has a point to prove.

Davies is a superb ball playing defender and can start attacks really well, same for Collins. If Davies is injured then Carlos can go there as being on the wing has improved his close control.

Young at left-back is almost as good as Warnock, but Warnock hasn't overlapped very well lately.

Petrov and Downing I've explained. Maybe leave Stan out for Albrighton.

Delph where he can get a bit of space to run at the defence due to them putting 2 or 3 on Ashley Young.

Milner up front dropping deep playing the Rooney role. He's the best striker of the ball at club and would cause havoc around the box.

Gabby just cos he's ace.

Essentially we can play with just the one winger, like we did when MON first came and we were much better at holding it in midfield.

I'd go

Friedel

Young L. Cuellar. Dunne. Buma

Petrov. Delph

Ash. Milner. Downing

Gabby

Don't agree on the back four, but I'd like to see that midfield and attack given a chance. I think it could be pretty strong.

Guzan

Milner   Gabby

Eh/

1. is Warnock out?

2. Petrov on the right, Downing central?

2. Downing more or less plays central each match anyway. Petrov played on the right for the first season and a half and did well there.

I'd like to give Guzan some game time and a don't think that right now Friedel is a better keeper.

Beye is great going forward and has a lot more quality on ball than Cuellar. Plus he has a point to prove.

Davies is a superb ball playing defender and can start attacks really well, same for Collins. If Davies is injured then Carlos can go there as being on the wing has improved his close control.

Young at left-back is almost as good as Warnock, but Warnock hasn't overlapped very well lately.

Delph where he can get a bit of space to run at the defence due to them putting 2 or 3 on Ashley Young.

Milner up front dropping deep playing the Rooney role. He's the best striker of the ball at club and would cause havoc around the box.

Gabby just cos he's ace.

Essentially we can play with just the one winger, like we did when MON first came and we were much better at holding it in midfield.

1. He was our best player against Chelsea and played against Everton.

2. He drifts in central but being in a central two, he'd get picked up by a marker if he was centrally. Petrov on the right was good!??!?!!? hahahahahahahahahahaha, he was shit and he's a good central midfielder.

Milner in the Rooney role?

What as the main striker getting on the end of any attack? He's a midfield player not an out 'n' out goalscorer?

Gabby just cos he's ace.

2. He drifts in central but being in a central two, he'd get picked up by a marker if he was centrally. Petrov on the right was good!??!?!!? hahahahahahahahahahaha, he was shit and he's a good central midfielder.

What as the main striker getting on the end of any attack? He's a midfield player not an out 'n' out goalscorer?

Alright mate, calm down. It wasn't that funny.

1. He has been superb this season yes but he hasn't overlapped as much recently meaning we've been a bit toothless on the left.

2. Petrov on the right was good. When he first came he wasn't great and got dropped by MON for a few games then came back playing excellently. Again I wouldn't expect Petrov to be a winger, more a right-sided midfielder as he was for a long time with NRC in the centre with Barry.

Milner has played up front before and has been outstanding there. Just because he plays in midfield doesn't mean he can't do a job somewhere else. And I'd like to see his attacking prowess dropping off the front man.

here's my prediction for the match; no matter what the result, the vast majority of posts to the reactions and ratings thread will in some way point out how the team and/or Martin O'Neill bottled it and could have done better
Couldn't be more true. We're gonna have to win at least 3-0 and retain at least 75% of the posession for there not to be more scathing criticism and moaning.

Gabby just cos he's ace.

Alright mate, calm down. It wasn't that funny.

1. He has been superb this season yes but he hasn't overlapped as much recently meaning we've been a bit toothless on the left.

2. Petrov on the right was good. When he first came he wasn't great and got dropped by MON for a few games then came back playing excellently. Again I wouldn't expect Petrov to be a winger, more a right-sided midfielder as he was for a long time with NRC in the centre with Barry.

Milner has played up front before and has been outstanding there. Just because he plays in midfield doesn't mean he can't do a job somewhere else. And I'd like to see his attacking prowess dropping off the front man.

He hasn't overlapped as much but nor will Luke Young down the right and it's just un-natural because when he gets the ball he's always looking inside.

And No, you are wrong.

He was poor when he first came and then in the final month or two of the 07-08 season we changed to a diamond and he played at the bottom of that in the holding role. Since then he's been very good Villa and has only played centrally.

He was very poor until he was moved FROM THE RIGHT into the centre.

It is funny because Downing can't play central midfield. Just because he comes inside looking for the ball doesn't mean he plays centrally, it just allows him the freedom to do that and defensively he's nowhere near good enough to be in the middle.

I think the Fonz will get a start tomorrow, along with Delph and probably L Young. At least, it would be wise to rest a few players. I'm not normally complacent with ANY team but given their current situation I think we can afford to rest some of our big players.