1. 1. How Will Mankind Meet It's End?

• Plague-like Disease
    • Nuclear Holocaust
    • Mass Famine
    • Environmental Catastrophe
    • Giant Asteroid Collision
    • Alien Invasion
    • Other

You've been waiting on the day your disertation would come in useful on VT, right? :D:lol:

This is degree generally more than diss. I paid £3k a year to learn about terrorism, joy!

I think so too. Though the fantasist in me would like to think we'll have colonised other planets before we make a total cat's mickey of earth.

I was considering this earlier, well something similar anyway. We've become a species that can adapt spectacularly quickly, and more over adapt beyond our natural capability. We augment our environment to our needs, we improve ourselves beyond our means with medicine.

That got me thinking, we've become rather resilient. It'll take something absolutely catastrophic to destroy us. Either so massive a change it undermines our ability to adapt to it, or something so quickly catastrophic we don't have time to.

And because of that, even things like widespread nuclear war would have to literally wipe the population away, which is reasonably unlikely, to destroy our race.

Me too Chindie. Things like "oh we'd only live a few years if the bees disappeared" and that kinda thing don't wash with me. We're not ungabungas anymore. We would find a way. I don't think it would be easy but we wouldn't disappear. Necessity is also the mother of invention. You'd find that they'd try experimental shit they'd never contemplate in 'peace-time'.

Male infertility

Nah... we're superfluous to the reproductive process nowadays... so the eventual extinction of the male gender will have no effect on the survival of the species.

Children are innocent

Teenagers **** up in the head

Adults are even more **** up

And elderlies are like children

Will there be another race

To come along and take over for us

Maybe Martians could do

Better than we've done

We'll make great pets

My friend says we're like the dinosaurs

Only we are doing ourselves in

Much faster than they

Ever did

We'll make great pets

Me too Chindie. Things like "oh we'd only live a few years if the bees disappeared" and that kinda thing don't wash with me. We're not ungabungas anymore. We would find a way. I don't think it would be easy but we wouldn't disappear. Necessity is also the mother of invention. You'd find that they'd try experimental shit they'd never contemplate in 'peace-time'.

What Malthus got wrong was that he conjectured that technology (or the degree to which technology would increase the carrying capacity of Earth) grew arithmetically (i.e. at a constant rate per year) while the available evidence now indicates that it grows geometrically (i.e. proportionally to the population of Earth), with Malthus having the misfortune of making the prediction at almost the exact moment geometric growth became distinguishable from arithmetic growth.... kind of like how when you have $100 in the bank it's quite a while before compound interest becomes noticeably different from simple interest.

At current technology and resource levels, the Earth can support a population of probably about 10-15 billion humans at a typical Western middle class standard of living (though the continental distribution of that is near-certain to change... long-term Africa and the Western Hemisphere will pick up population from Eurasia; the European portion is already past its sell-by date and all things considered Asia is within 50 years or so of its). I think population will crest at about 10 or 11 billion towards the middle of this century and probably grow fairly slowly thereafter; the USA's share of that population will probably reach 10% or so by the end of the population (at which point I'd expect the USA to have a larger population than either China or India).

mass male infertility brought on by wanking in close proximity to hot laptop batteries
My god I hope your wrong!

The poor standards of grammar displayed by most - such as the inability to spell 'its' - are a sign of an educational downfall which foreshadows the populace becoming less intelligent and, therefore, more likely to initiate nuclear war/turn into zombies/lose the ability to create the means of avoiding the end (delete as appropriate).

:P

Giant Mouses

:P

Hare post is awesome!! :lol:

We climbed to the top of Cat Bells late one evening in July 1996 to see the comets crash land on Jupiter through a telescope.. It was boiling hot sunny evening...remember sitting on the top in a T shirt at midnight...it started raining & clouded over, so didn't see anything... Typical!!

Not turning this into a religious debating thread but the Bible answers this question quite simply, if of course you are of a mind to take any notice.

So don't start shouting at me for daring to give another point of view!!

“[Jehovah is] the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited.”—Isaiah 45:18.

“A generation is going, and a generation is coming; but the earth is standing even to time indefinite.”—Ecclesiastes 1:4.

So as regards the Earth the Bible quite clearly states it will not be destroyed.

As for mankind.... to quote the words of Sir Isaac Newton -

“The earth shall continue to be inhabited by mortals [humans] after the day of judgment and that not only for 1000 years, but even for ever.”

He was apparently a keen Bible student....

Psalm 37 9 - 11 "For evildoers themselves will be cut off,

But those hoping in Jehovah are the ones that will possess the earth.

And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more;

And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be.

But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace"

Most likely the Asteroid due to the fact they only detect them a few days beforehand so there's no opportunity to build a big cave in Mount Everest or something like that.

We would only get a few days notice if there was a telescope trained on it, which is unlikely as numbers of people searching for such things are so modest. The likelihood is that the first we would know about such a visitation would be when it heated up in our atmosphere, about one second before impact.

Rather worryingly an asteroid colliding with us is pretty much inevitable, there are just so many of them out there (some estimate around a billion) travelling quickly and eratically.

The good news is that extinction threatening impacts will only hit us every million or so years.

Still I think it’s the most plausible option.

An asteroid collision with us is pretty much inevitable at some point or another as there is just so many of them out they’re (around a billion at an estimate) travelling so quickly and erotically.
:shock:

A bit like "I am legend", a vaccine that is intended to prevent cancer or other disease goes horribly worng and kills everybody.

Or one that goes horribly right.

Â