1. 1. How Will Mankind Meet It's End?

• Plague-like Disease
    • Nuclear Holocaust
    • Mass Famine
    • Environmental Catastrophe
    • Giant Asteroid Collision
    • Alien Invasion
    • Other

mass male infertility brought on by wanking in close proximity to hot laptop batteries
My god I hope your wrong!

me not washing out bean tins

Who the hell washes out bean tins?

my missus

"the recycle men wont collect them otherwise"

Jesus, and I thought my ma was bad with the recycling bin. :P

1978466971_1999998627_180605_337x253_ahmadinejad.jpe

Edit: nice disclaimer ;)

Dinnerjacket isn't, as far as I'm aware, a terrorist, regardless.

The reason terrorists won't get nukes is because they can't develop one themselves, because of the expertise and cost, nor can they buy one because the cost is so great.

This will also prevent states giving them the technology - no state is going to spend the ridiculous amounts required to develop nuclear arms and give them away.

Thirdly, they won't do that from a logic point of view because there is nothing to prevent the weapon you just gave away being aimed right back at them sooner or later.

The only ways terrorists can get hold of nukes is if a state loses one and they manage to get hold of it, which in itself is more difficult than it sounds because a nuclear weapon isn't something you can easily use.

Or they would have to take power in a nuclear armed state.

I'm sure a lot of people that have been murdered under his reign would disagree.

As for traditional terrorist folk, have a look at the situation in Somalia, all it takes is a few men to spread hatred and voila a country is under the power of insurgent militants.

Would that happen in Uranium rich countries? Probably not as the UN would intervene no doubt.

However, the horrible thing is, if enough money is handed over I'm sure some terrorist organisations can get their hands on one. Especially seeing as the map Mr Smalljob posted shows a country like South Africa rich in Uranium. With the right amount of money anythings possible.

It's not out of the realms of possibilty, but as I alluded too it's men like that who are the real dangers.

Iran isn't my strong point admittedly.

It isn't enough for a state to simply have 'weapons grade uranium'. Theres far, far more to making a nuclear weapon and it's vastly expensive. Couple that to sheer difficulty in using one, the trouble of moving it and storing it, and it becomes a thing that non state terrorists cannot achieve. The UK and US have had trouble with storing nuclear arms before now and they've the best in the world and all the necessities to do so.

To buy a nuclear weapon a terrorist organisation would require hundreds of millions of dollars, at least. It would probably verge on billions. That money just isn't in the hands of terrorist organisations.

The best they could do is a dirty bomb. And they aren't so much dangerous as a nuisance, if one was used against the UK for example the harm would be much greater to the economy than the people.

Nuclear arms could easily bring about the end of mankind, though perhaps not at the moment, that I agree with. Kenneth Waltz wouldn't though and he's smarter than me.

But I really don't buy the nuclear terrorism angle. It's the kind of absolutely mad incredibly unlikely scenario that is peddled by the same people that think 9/11 marks the beginning of 'the new terrorism'.

I don't think we'll ever see some deshevelled Taliban folk running around Afghanistan with a nuclear bomb in their car boot, avoiding the UN like an episode of Scooby Doo, but "terrorism" extends far beyond the grass roots level. And it's even more dangerous when it's masked under the veil of religion and that is where the difficulty lies.

We simply can't say terrorists can't get Nuclear weapons, because as we seen with people like Saddam Hussein and Mr Ronery over in North Korea, if you have the money and the big power houses of China/Russia on your side you can get your hands on them, yes at great expense and yes clearly not as good as the more advanced nations, but you still can.

However, it's all pointless debating whether or not terrorists will become a nuclear force, because the biggest danger in terms of this is China. And if Copenhagan is anything to go by, USA and China won't kiss and make up any time soon.

I know terrorism extends far beyond the grass roots level. Sadly, once you get past 'grass roots', you effectively get to state terror which I've already said is the only possibility of nuclear terrorism, as they are the only entities that can afford to acquire them.

1978466971_1999998627_180605_337x253_ahmadinejad.jpe

Edit: nice disclaimer ;)

The reason terrorists won't get nukes is because they can't develop one themselves, because of the expertise and cost, nor can they buy one because the cost is so great.

This will also prevent states giving them the technology - no state is going to spend the ridiculous amounts required to develop nuclear arms and give them away.

Thirdly, they won't do that from a logic point of view because there is nothing to prevent the weapon you just gave away being aimed right back at them sooner or later.

The only ways terrorists can get hold of nukes is if a state loses one and they manage to get hold of it, which in itself is more difficult than it sounds because a nuclear weapon isn't something you can easily use.

Or they would have to take power in a nuclear armed state.

You've been waiting on the day your disertation would come in useful on VT, right? :D:lol:

It'll be our own fault.

I think so too. Though the fantasist in me would like to think we'll have colonised other planets before we make a total cat's mickey of earth.

Â