• A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Downing (63)
    • Delfouneso (63)
    • Beye (71)

I think the players have been on their last legs for a few games now, and today was one game too much. I know its been said to death, but we really should have started using the squad in September, not March. Today Rooney and Drogba have been rested and I'm sure both will have a great end of season. We should have used Reo (before injury) Beye, L Young and Sid a lot more. Delph and Fonz will play more next year. Even Shorey and Gardener could have played more. If we're not careful, rather than boasting our squad next year, we might even reduce it. Sid, Reo, Beye and Davis (and Bouma?) won't want to stay if they know they won't get any games, but no one else will want to join knowing they won't get a game. A problem. The squad players will be kids. And MON hasn't seen much in Ridgewell, Gardener, S Davies, Cahill, Moore etc to suggest he's ready to use them in the way Wenger and Ferguson do.

If people like average players like Collins and Petrov are guaranteed a game every week, and young players like Ash and Gabby, then there is no incentive to improve. Ever.

Can't believe people are calling for the managers head!!! **** me sometimes this board is disgraceful. The same manager that has put us top 6 every season that he's been here and to a cup final and semi final this season.

I'm genuinely appalled by the reaction.

Yes it was a shit result but i was watching sky sports news while doing some decorating and he thought we were better than them first half and was talking as the third goal went in and was surprised that they had scored.

to be honest, is playing the likes of Beye, Craig Gardner, Sidders etc going to have a realistically positive effect on fighting for 4th. I think Martin puts out the same 11 pretty much every week because he is of the opinion that it is those players that provide us with the best opportunity to fight amongst the top teams in this league.

Whilst we have at times over the last couple of months looked absolutely shattered, having rested Petrov or Milner or Gabby earlier in the season would have increased the likelihood of dropping points then and thus its doubtful we'd be any better off than where we are now. the fact is our team isn't good enough for Champions League football, i don't think thats something we should be ashamed of considering where we were say 4 years ago. I think a lot of people on here underestimate how difficult achieveing CL football actually is.

Can't believe people are calling for the managers head!!! **** me sometimes this board is disgraceful. The same manager that has put us top 6 every season that he's been here and to a cup final and semi final this season.

I'm genuinely appalled by the reaction.

Yes it was a shit result but i was watching sky sports news while doing some decorating and he thought we were better than them first half and was talking as the third goal went in and was surprised that they had scored.

This. One very bad result and a few disappointing results should not warrant the manager being sacked. Thankfully I think Randy and the board don't think like that.

to be honest, is playing the likes of Beye, Craig Gardner, Sidders etc going to have a realistically positive effect on fighting for 4th. I think Martin puts out the same 11 pretty much every week because he is of the opinion that it is those players that provide us with the best opportunity to fight amongst the top teams in this league.

Whilst we have at times over the last couple of months looked absolutely shattered, having rested Petrov or Milner or Gabby earlier in the season would have increased the likelihood of dropping points then and thus its doubtful we'd be any better off than where we are now. the fact is our team isn't good enough for Champions League football, i don't think thats something we should be ashamed of considering where we were say 4 years ago. I think a lot of people on here underestimate how difficult achieveing CL football actually is.

But what about Subs? The fulham game, we were comfortable, 2-0 up. No subs. 3-0 against Hull. 1 Sub.

But what about Subs? The fulham game, we were comfortable, 2-0 up. No subs. 3-0 against Hull. 1 Sub.

no, very true. theres been instances where I have been bemused that we havn't taken players off and I cant really think of an explanation.

Regardless, Martin gets criticism for whatever he does on this board which kind of pisses me off. I reckon that our home form has faltered in the last couple of months because of the negative stuff coming from the terraces when things aren't going our way, as much as it has anything to do with player fatigue. We're too quick to get on people's backs.

Today's result was a farce but it only happened because we gave up. I'd like to think that folks on here are normally proud of the commitment and fight the lads show when they put on our shirt. This is instilled by the manager, who I consider us lucky to have.

On the plus side I thought the support today was absolutely excellent. After the first or second Chelsea goal we all started chanting almost immediately. Also, we were still singing even when we were several goals down.

He didn't play Downing or Heskey today.

Milner, Dunne, Petrov and Collins all played, there's no arguing with that. But here's a question. Take them out of the team today, who do you put in?

That is why you rest them in smaller games where there is the opportunity to, so that you have your best players ready for games like this and not be totally destroyed.

I'm overlooking this result:

We've played 2 games per week in the last month almost, the lads are knackered (some of which are clearly not 100%).

Its ashame that when we need our first choice subs (E.G Davies, NRC, Delph & Heskey) none are available. We should have been using our squad rotation from first game of season (not 2 months before end of season) and to squad rotate vs CHELSEA is MADNESS.

All those wanting Young in for Cuellar (and MON seemed to keel to pressure) have been proven wrong...for at least this match.

I think it should be the end for Stillian Petrov, we need much better than him in middle. We need a WORLD CLASS Striker & Midfielder.

Delfoneso needs to start. He just seems so much more hungry than the rest!!

just got back, too depressed to go back out

probably been covered but that is the biggest hammering i have ever seen us take. my old man has been following the villa home and away for 50 yeaqrs and he reckons its the biggests smashing he has seen as well

(mentioned a 6-2 when Tony Hateley scored, means shit all to me)

and for all those slagging the support off (including a few who dont get off their arses and go down), we showed today what support is

Just got back with my lad. Given that I baulked at paying £48 for a ticket I was able to get a couple of freebies through work amongst the locals. Oh the joy of having to look mildly happy as they banged them in. I just couldnt stick any more at 4-1. Longest trip to the bog in history!

We just looked totally dead on our feet. I thought the changes in formation did our full backs no favours and they were taken to the cleaners. The marking just got poorer and poorer. And for anyone who thinks we have some dickheads following the Villa try sitting amongst Chelsea fans for an hour!! Bunch of Tim Lovejoy clones who think football was invented in 1992.

I've witnessed some pitiful performances 6-0 at Forest, 3-0 at Blues, in fact every game under Billy McNeill....tonight well think its been coming for weeks and we've just been papering over the cracks but we dont suddenly become a bad team. I just think the manager needs to take a very long look at himself and the way he has handled his resources over the past 3-4 months. Up The Villa!

Sidwell was the only one today to play anywhere near his ability. I guess that says a lot.

The defence started to look poor since the beginning of the year, around the time we were playing Palace, Reading etc. It started to become a bigger joke with every passing game and finally it absolutely imploded today.

It's now a complete joke of a defence once again, probably the same level as last year or even worse. We're defending like a relegation team atm, like how Wigan did when they were trashed 9-1 by Spurs. Truth to be told our result wasn't really far off from Wigan's.

Playing practically the exact same team for the season, even 3 times in a week, has finally told. Ironic that instead of resting players during smaller games where there is an opportunity to, MON rests them against Chelsea. He must have got no logic whatsoever.

shit. this will deflate the entire squad, how we react to this will be interesting.

I think the game hinged on two incidents....if the ref saw mikel's elbow to the face on Milner (or punished what he saw) the game changes. The 2nd....never a penalty. Dive from Zhirkov. We were in it until then.

BUT, MONs gamble on playing 3 or 4 half-fit players took its toll. He had to take the gamble against Chelski. Calling for him to be fired is just nonsense. Does this mean that every side below the top 4 should also fire their manager?

:cry:

Calling for the managers head after a game like this is the easy way out in my opinion.

7-1 granted, that isn't good enough. But such is the state of football these days that everyone wants success immedietly, and it just doesn't work like that. "Bring in a world class midfielder & striker"- its not going to happen, we don't have the wage structure, the money for the immediate transfer AND most importantly the reputation to bring in players like that.

Changing the manager won't alter this. There is noone else better out there for a start.

So yes I'm annoyed at today, but annoyed with what have acheived this season? Not at all.

All teams have fickle fans I know that, it just riles me when they associate themselves with the club I love.