PL: Bolton a Match Thread 2010/04/03 15:00

limpid

So, possibly out are; Dunne, Milner, Carew, Agbonlahor, Delph, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Harewood and Bouma. (Some obviously are more key than others)

If the worst happens I'd go with

--------------------Friedel----------------------

Young----Cuellar-------Collins--------Warnock

-------------------Petrov-----------------------

-----------Sidwell---------Downing------------

Albrighton-------------------------------Young

-----------------Delfouneso-------------------

and I'd worry.

subs would be: Guzan, Davies, Clark, Beye, Salifou, Osbourne and Weimann.

So, given that nobody wants to see that line up to what extent would you be prepared to risk the players that are carrying knocks after what happened when we tried it last weekend?

So, possibly out are; Dunne, Milner, Carew, Agbonlahor, Delph, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Harewood and Bouma. (Some obviously are more key than others)

If the worst happens I'd go with

--------------------Friedel----------------------

Young----Cuellar-------Collins--------Warnock

-------------------Petrov-----------------------

-----------Sidwell---------Downing------------

Albrighton-------------------------------Young

-----------------Delfouneso-------------------

and I'd worry.

subs would be: Guzan, Davies, Clark, Beye, Salifou, Osbourne and Weimann.

So, given that nobody wants to see that line up to what extent would you be prepared to risk the players that are carrying knocks after what happened when we tried it last weekend?

I don't know because we haven't been made aware of the severity of these 'knocks'. Impossible question, for all I know come Friday morning Milner and co. will be running like scamps again. It's up to the staff and players to agree upon, not us.

Just looking for opinion ED, that's what we do here.

The levels of injury or non injury are as you rightly say though slightly baffling at the moment.

Delph has been seen on crutches and we've heard nothing, Warnock and Petrov might well be carrying injuries and have both struggled in games of late, but again we can't be sure. Gabby seems to have had a succession of small strains and pains (ankle, groin) which makes it difficult to know what's wrong with him, let alone whether he's recovered and the same pattern is repeated across the board. We're not sure if players are injured or not, let alone how severely.

The good news is that if we don't know then the opposition don't either and that obviously makes good sense for the club, it's the right thing to do.

Conversely it means that we're going through the worst period for injuries that I can remember for years and nobody seems to be mentioning it as a factor in our performance.

We might be struggling to get 18 experienced players together for our game on Saturday, we might not, but I'd have thought it was worthy of a bit of debate.

After three draws with Stoke, Wolves and Sunderland and then an epic 7-1 reverse, I think it's safe to say that our form can't get any worse. It IS safe, right? (I mean, relegation teams tend to pick up 2-3 points from a run of games like that.)

The sad thing is my belief in all the players is so shattered that I can't even pick a team. The only players I'd definitely play are Ashley and Big John. As they've rounded back into form, the rest of the team has fallen apart. The second Warnock was mentioned for England he fell apart. Never seen a player decline so suddenly, it's been noticable in every game I've seen. I would definitely drop him.

But I will say that the season isn't over, and anyone with a knock or exhausted should be rested for the semi. We're not getting 4th with our knackered team and three decent teams that would all have to screw up ahead of us, so let's accept it, blood the youngsters some more against a team we usually handle, and get ready for the semi.

Up the Villa, now more than ever.

Our team won't get fourth place because they are knackered. We simply don't have the quality and it bloody hurts to say that.

A must win, that simple, for the clubs Premiership status, the squad players etc, to snub out any gossip/rumour around the manager and to prevent any momentum in that direction which even though there is only very flaky evidence that anything has gone on, the fact that MON leaving the club has been suggested and the notion is now out there, anything other than a win will encourage even more gossip and pressure.

Most of all the team needs to be at the top of there game to play Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi Final, Villa simply can't get run over again.

Friedel

Young Cuellar Collins Warnock

Young Sidwell Petrov Downing

Carew Delfouneso

Milner and Dunne need to be rested due to injuries.

Agbonlahor looks like he has an injury the way he went straight down the tunnel when subbed earlier.

If we can't beat Bolton with that team, then we may aswell give up now.

Posted this few days ago but changed my mind

Friedel

Cuellar Davies Clark Young

Young Sidwell Petrov Downing Albrighton

Agbonlahor

We really need to rest some players, that's why I have rested Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Milner, Heskey. Don't know who else we can play in CM so have to keep Petrov in. Wish NRC or Delph were fit

Carew apparantly out for rest of season but I hear Bouma is near

Clark looked good on his debut and got man of the match too.

Still believe we can get a result with that team.

Posted this few days ago but changed my mind

Friedel

Cuellar Davies Clark Young

Young Sidwell Petrov Downing Albrighton

Agbonlahor

We really need to rest some players, that's why I have rested Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Milner, Heskey. Don't know who else we can play in CM so have to keep Petrov in. Wish NRC or Delph were fit

Carew apparantly out for rest of season but I hear Bouma is near

Clark looked good on his debut and got man of the match too.

Still believe we can get a result with that team.

Surely playing Beye at Rb and moving Cuellar into Cb instead of Clark/Davies(dont know how fit he is) would be a better option given the players you want to rest.

id go with

------------friedel----------

l young--------curtis------cuellar/dunne----warnock

ash-------delph------------sidwell---------downing

---------------heskey------------fonz----------------

i would go with a slightly weakened side and have the likes of collins, gabby, carew, stan rested fir the cup as thats now our main priority.

I can't be bothered even trying to predict the line up for this game, O'Neill is just as likely to change half the side ala Moscow or just pick the exact same 11 he did against Chelsea last week.

Either way I think it will be a tight and low scoring game ending in a draw.

Just looking for opinion ED, that's what we do here.

The levels of injury or non injury are as you rightly say though slightly baffling at the moment.

Delph has been seen on crutches and we've heard nothing, Warnock and Petrov might well be carrying injuries and have both struggled in games of late, but again we can't be sure. Gabby seems to have had a succession of small strains and pains (ankle, groin) which makes it difficult to know what's wrong with him, let alone whether he's recovered and the same pattern is repeated across the board. We're not sure if players are injured or not, let alone how severely.

The good news is that if we don't know then the opposition don't either and that obviously makes good sense for the club, it's the right thing to do.

Conversely it means that we're going through the worst period for injuries that I can remember for years and nobody seems to be mentioning it as a factor in our performance.

We might be struggling to get 18 experienced players together for our game on Saturday, we might not, but I'd have thought it was worthy of a bit of debate.

Well TBH I'd rest players regardless of whether they might be capable of playing or not. Something like

---------Friedel

Beye---Davies---Cuellar---Young

Albrighton--Sidders---Delph---Downing

---------Heskey---The Fonz

TBH this season is just about the FAC and beating Blues now.

I definitely don't want to see Cuellar playing at RB because Wilshere play left wing for Bolton.

I'm not sure whether Clark should play because Kevin Davies will just pick on him and win everything. He did the exact same thing to Tomkins the other week when they won West Ham.

we need cuellar in the centre to contain kevin davies i think. rest dunne, please, he deserves a rest especially before the semi.

anyone got any concrete news on carew?

Anything less than a win here and we can kiss fourth goodbye (despite the fact that I think we have already)....

We have already kissed fourth goodbye. We are now in a fight to qualify for europe if we don't win the cup.

Guzan

Young Cuellar Dunne Warnock

Reo-Coker

Albrighton Delph Sidwell Young

Carew

Have left out Milner, Petrov and Downing as their recent form hasn't been good enough and would have them warming the bench to give them the kick up the backside that they need, with Agbonlahor ready to come on if needed.

Going to make a genuine prediction of what the team will be, which 9 times out of 10 would consist of naming last weeks team. However, I think there may be one or 2 changes.

People mentioning Sidwell was one of the better performer against Chelsea, he also did well against Wolves. So if Carew is Injured I could foresee the following team:

Friedel

Cuellar Collins Dunne Warnock

Downing Milner Sidwell Petrov Young

Gabby

I think Oneill will be keen to give the players that messed up so badly last week a chance to prove themselves this week. He rarely has any knee-jerk reactions when it comes to team selections so i'm expecting, at the most, 2 changes.