• Carew
    • Heskey
    • Delfouneso (for Heskey 14)
    • Sidwell (for Milner 77)

We

looked

shattered.

This.

I think people are really trying to overcomplicate things. The only problem last night was that everyone looked fatigued. The concentration was affected so wrong decisions everywhere, no-one really had any guile (apart from Ashley Young*), and no-one trusted themselves enough with the ball to do something clever so just got rid of it at the first opportunity hence hoofball in the 2nd half when tiring more. It should help at Chelsea where there won't be the crowd expectation to perform so they will be able to loosen up a bit and not panic so much.

* This is why I think Ashley Young is one of the best players in the world. His work-rate is phenomenal, he tracks back and helps out, sprints up the pitch on breaks and still has the engine to be able to craft his way around a full-back. When everyone else is flagging, he's still going. Karate-kid limping aside he never gets injured and I'm always amazed at the natural athleticism. Milner has a great engine but is still behind Ashley Young.

Thought we played fine. Their Goalkeeper was on form and nothing really went for us, very unlucky!!

We definately need a replacement for Petrov (who is honestly a waste of time) and a new striker who can score (Bent would be nice).

Looking at our bench doesn't wow me either. I know we have several injuries but we really struggling (Bouma, Davies, NRC, Delph, Gabby). If we had them on the bench it brings us someting different. Sidwell was our No.1 sub LOL crazy.

as on saturday, carew and young looked above average - the rest were average at best

dunne must have been carrying a knock for a bit cus i think his performances have been a bit off for a few weeks

cuellar got milner crocked with a hospital pass

petrov was a very poor in the second half - clearly knackered

basically nearly everyone is out on their feet as we dont make enough subs or rotate enough. You may say that that is because the subs aren't good enough but MON has bought practically everyone in the squad now so the buck stops with him

It makes me laugh people say bent...yes he scores some goals but he also missed a gilt edged header last night..

Anyway Bent would cost around £20 mil, is he worth that? It would be just like the Luke Young signing, ending up paying more one season later than we could (probably should've) the season before... we will then play him out of position all season, where he will play very well.. He will then establish himself in his rightful position, miss a couple of games through injury/personal problems and then find that he cant get back in the side because a centre back is playing there..

Gordon on form? He made one save from Carew that was given as a gk, oh and the header straight at his legs

Also made a good stop from a Young cross down low which was going straight to Carew for an easy tap in, read it, rushed out and was brave.

The save from Carew was unbelievable.

We

looked

shattered.

* This is why I think Ashley Young is one of the best players in the world.

What the ****? :lol::lol:

Surely you're not being serious? :shock:

I'd say he's the second best winger in the league, behind Valencia, weirdly though I don't think he'd make the top 10-15 wingers in the world.

There are two ways of looking at this.

a. The game

Well we didn't play that bad, but you never can see us scoring. Young yet again, put cross after cross after cross in, but who to. I thought Nathan was lively if not spectacular, and he offers so much more than Heskey. Unfortunately he was doing the donkey work role for Carew. I think Nathans ability would be the goalscoring role, whilst Gabby does the running.

Petrov - come to in a minute. Cueller , same old, what the hell is it with this totally aimless, totally ineffective looping long throw - he is not Rory Delap, so why on earth ?

b - The manager

I think this game absolutely typifies why he has taken us as far as he can, he will never, ever get a team top 4, he hasn't got the tactical nouse. He has one plan , 4-4-2 - and he has no idea of how to change it. Last night, perfect example.

Petrov, absolutely totally out on his feet by 55 mins (which is even bad by his standards). He HAD to be taken off, he was offering absolute nowt and Sunderland were running through our midfield. Now for some reason, he took Milner off, and put Sidwell on - maybe Milner was injured, who knows.

But it didn't change the fact Petrov was done, and of course , they still controlled midfield.

All MON can do is like for like, Heksey / Delfonouso , Sidwell / Milner. The game was crying out for a change - Petrov needed off, and if we had no one like for like on the bench - that means a tactical change.

But MON is absolutely clueless how to.

And there you go - keep saying it, Everton will definately finish above us - and we are looking at the Blues more than Spurs.

People better start realising it !

Part A, Top notch post, and allthough i agree with with what part B implies i wouldn't go as far as to suggest that in part B the manager is blinkered or possibly lacking in options, simply because you could throw that at almost every manager.

Say it again as mentioned in other posts, we have to now target games we can get, rather than blanket cover all fixtures, if Arsene Wenger believes that's a strategy that he now has to employ for Arsenal as said yesterday then that certainly applies to the Villa squad.

Said it before and without banging on about it, what we have to realise is, like it or not, you take Gabby out of the Villa side and you remove not just our main attacking powerhouse you remove the threat up front that allows the opposition back 4 to move up 15 or so yds, in turn pressing there midfield forward, putting pressure on our midfield and the opposition sitting that much further in our half, knocking on the door of our back 4, hence why Doyle was so effective for Wolves and the Sunderland midfield cut through us like a knife through butter, Any body that watched the game watched that happen. When Gabby is up front no back 4 can risk that, simply because he can run the legs of pretty much all, so they sit deeper. Thats how crucial i believe he is. That would be my version of limiting MON's options tactically, because we are on the back foot from the kick of.

Said it before and without banging on about it, what we have to realise is, like it or not, you take Gabby out of the Villa side and you remove not just our main attacking powerhouse you remove the threat up front that allows the opposition back 4 to move up 15 or so yds, in turn pressing there midfield forward, putting pressure on our midfield and the opposition sitting that much further in our half, knocking on the door of our back 4, hence why Doyle was so effective for Wolves and the Sunderland midfield cut through us like a knife through butter, Any body that watched the game watched that happen. When Gabby is up front no back 4 can risk that, simply because he can run the legs of pretty much all, so they sit deeper. Thats how crucial i believe he is. That would be my version of limiting MON's options tactically, because we are on the back foot from the kick of.

Great analysis - makes a lot of sense.

Gabby is improtant to us - but he's not our Rooney. He has the legs on anyone else in the league and if he could curb his offsides then he'd get more goals - seeing Gabby offside angers me - he could give most defenders a 15yrd head start and he'd still out pace them to the ball no problem. We're lacking a touch of class up front, a finisher, a punisher. None of our strikers have the greed or natural ability to finish compared to those of Torres, Defoe, Bent, Tevez or even Doyle. But he offers us something that you cannot learn to defend against...blistering pace. Gabby has imporved each season and now his overall play is very good - he can take a ball down and lay it off, hold of defendrs, create opening sthrough passes - all which he could not do previously.

Gabby is improtant to us - but he's not our Rooney. He has the legs on anyone else in the league and if he could curb his offsides then he'd get more goals - seeing Gabby offside angers me - he could give most defenders a 15yrd head start and he'd still out pace them to the ball no problem. We're lacking a touch of class up front, a finisher, a punisher. None of our strikers have the greed or natural ability to finish compared to those of Torres, Defoe, Bent, Tevez or even Doyle. But he offers us something that you cannot learn to defend against...blistering pace. Gabby has imporved each season and now his overall play is very good - he can take a ball down and lay it off, hold of defendrs, create opening sthrough passes - all which he could not do previously.

Another excellent post coming through, this must be down to the morning after effect allowing posters to give full consideration to events this much after the game rather than the knee jerk reaction that you sometimes see. :D ( born out of disappointment and frustration of course)

Gabby..spot on, he will never in a million billion years have the right place right time instinct that Defoe does, Torres does, Tevez does, he will never have the utter determination to bulldoze through an opposition arms and legs all over the place ( and fist if required) that Rooney has. So what does Gabby do, he sits high, worries the F*** out of defenders, how embarrassing can it be for a defender when some bloke pushes a ball past you giving 15yds head start, leaves you eating his dust, make you look like a complete pensioner with wooden legs with nowhere to hide in front of thousands, becuase he hasn't required a tricky little dribble full of skill to beat you, just playground stuff i'm faster than you.

Another excellent post coming through, this must be down to the morning after effect allowing posters to give full consideration to events this much after the game rather than the knee jerk reaction that you sometimes see. :D ( born out of disappointment and frustration of course)

Gabby..spot on, he will never in a million billion years have the right place right time instinct that Defoe does, Torres does, Tevez does, he will never have the utter determination to bulldoze through an opposition arms and legs all over the place ( and fist if required) that Rooney has. So what does Gabby do, he sits high, worries the F*** out of defenders, how embarrassing can it be for a defender when some bloke pushes a ball past you giving 15yds head start, leaves you eating his dust, make you look like a complete pensioner with wooden legs with nowhere to hide in front of thousands, becuase he hasn't required a tricky little dribble full of skill to beat you, just playground stuff i'm faster than you.

For this reason alone I am convinced that Gabby would win the Premier League's version of British Bulldog if we had one. :lol:

We

looked

shattered.

* This is why I think Ashley Young is one of the best players in the world.

What the ****? :lol::lol:

Surely you're not being serious? :shock:

Absolutely serious. Although Martin O'Neill agrees with me and what does he know?

We were about as fliud as a cracker, we had absolutely no idea how to get past Sunderland and ended up looking like 11 players instead of a team. Bye bye fourth.

MON seems like he won't take Petrov off even though he was clearly knackered after about an hour. Ashley Young was again our best player but he is not world class as suggested in an earlier post...

We sat back again, can't the blighter see it's not working?

Bye bye 4th. Maybe next year...