• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Heskey
    • Delfouneso (for Heskey 14)
    • Sidwell (for Milner 77)

True but I was just making the point how you can lose rather than draw and still get more points over a 5 game period.

We're back to the JG days of drawing half our games during the season and not getting anywhere in the end. **** the unbeaten run, we need wins.

Understand the commentators who were asking what kind of supporters our home support is "there really is no need to get so unpatient, seeing how the game has been".

Villa Park faithful 3

I've got to say I didn't hear much of anything like that, the crowd were good all the way through. No booing of players or manager, a slightly sarcastic cheer when Delfouneso was called in from his warm up to come on, but nothing to write home about and with the exception of that we got right behind the team.

Our MOTM was clearly either A Young or Carew (based on my thoughts as well as your votes. There can be no doubt that the man of the match for them was Gordon. Do the math on that alone. A draw was an unfortunate result for us. (Unfortunate as opposed to "everyone east of the Danube is shite.")

Oh, and I didn't think the Fonz showed me much. More motion than Heskey, agreed, but headless chicken. Heskey caused sunderland defense more consternation in 10 minutes than did the fonz in the other 80. On what could have been his break it was clear that he would rather give the ball away than put it on his left foot, and note, this is key.... The Sunderland defenders KNEW IT. Watch the tape if you don't believe me. They gave him the whole left side of the goal, he wouldn't even think of it. On the basis of today, I gotta back MON that the fonz doesn't get a lot of time... yet.

we have drawn 7 out of the 10 games in 2010 - unbeaten is irrelevent, this is not good enough.

3 wins in 13 says it all. Once again we choke when it matters.

Spot on.

West Ham- DRAW

Arsenal- DRAW

Manure- DRAW

Wolves- DRAW

Sunderland- DRAW

West Ham- WIN

Arsenal- LOSE

Manure- LOSE

Wolves- WIN

Sunderland- WIN

The bottom sequence gains you four more points over a season. We're back to what we were under Gregory, content to draw half our games during a season as it looks good to see we have a ten or so game unbeaten run, it ultimately gets you nowhere if you don't win enough games.

West Ham- LOSE

Arsenal- LOSE

Manure- LOSE

Wolves- LOSE

Sunderland- LOSE, and half the team die in a flesh-eating virus outbreak

West Ham- DRAW

Arsenal- DRAW

Manure- DRAW

Wolves- DRAW

Sunderland- DRAW

The bottom sequence is better than the top.

Or, to put it another way, it's better to win than draw, and it's better to draw than lose.

In other news, the Pope is a big beleiver in transubstantiation, and Gentle Ben is no stranger to a poo in the pines.

In all seriousness though, beating West Ham, Wolves and Sunderland, and losing to Man U and Arsenal would just have people being merely satisfied that we're winning against 'lesser' opposition, and kicking off that we can't compete with the elite.

The reality is we have proved this season that we can compete with the elite. We've been in a cup final, and at least a cup semi final. We've put top four sides to the sword. We have also, disappointingly, not done enough against mediocre opposition on occasion. Until recently, the latter lows were the norm, but the former highs weren't. That (and the obvious chairmen difference) is why it's not like how it was under Gregory, and why I'm happy to be a Villan.

In all seriousness though, beating West Ham, Wolves and Sunderland, and losing to Man U and Arsenal would just have people being merely satisfied that we're winning against 'lesser' opposition, and kicking off that we can't compete with the elite.

The reality is we have proved this season that we can compete with the elite. We've been in a cup final, and at least a cup semi final. We've put top four sides to the sword. We have also, disappointingly, not done enough against mediocre opposition on occasion. Until recently, the latter lows were the norm, but the former highs didn't happen. That (and the obvious chairmen difference) is why it's not like how it was under Gregory, and why I'm happy to be a Villan.

Yes, sign me up for that view.

I hope it won't be drowned out by more pessimistic voices.

Well, this feels familiar... a bit like last season perhaps? I don't understand why we've turned into a bunch of bottlers ala spuds... why are we **** up so bad at this vital stage against shit teams at home? MON hasn't taken any initative again and we're throwing away a great oppotunity, just look at all the points we've dropped at home to **** shit teams... those dropped points have caught up with us now but yet we still keep dropping points to shit teams!

My only postives are that we can't get any worse, Carew is in great form being really impressive (Heskey can get lost) and we also seem to bounce back pretty well after a slump. There's 24 points to play for from now on in, if we wan't to finish 4th WE CAN ONLY AFFORD TO DROP 6 POINTS AT THE MAXIMUM.

As a performance I don't think it was too bad, I thought Ashley Young was outstanding again and Carew looks to have the bit between his teeth.

I thought Downing was reasonable and Petrov looked good before he tired, Milner hasn't been himself for a few weeks and needs a rest.

Cuellar still isn't a right back despite having now played more games there than Mark Delaney (probably), Dunne hasn't been good for a couple of weeks and if he's carrying an injury we've got players who can come in.

I thought Warnock did well, especially in the second half and Delfouneso gave us the ability to occassionally have the Sunderland defence facing their own goal (something I don't recall Wolves defenders ever doing.)

For them, Gordon was very good in goal and I thought both Malbranque and Richardson looked good. Our defence struggled with Campbells pace but I thought we marshaled Bent very well.

The star of the show was the linesman on the Trinity side in the second half. I've rarely witnessed a more witless prick attached to a flag. He flagged Delfouneso offside with a defender still to beat and flagged Downing offside with all four of Sunderland's back line playing him on (one by around four yards). His liberal interpretation of the rules regarding corners was as worrying as his apparent disregard for anything happening directly in front of him. I can only hope he is blind, or soon will be. Martin O'Neill squared up to him around ten minutes from the end and John Robertson had to be pulled away from him. He was a spineless, incompetent, fucktard with no redeeming social values and the intelligence of mud and I wish him ill.

The referee was shit too.

The star of the show was the linesman on the Trinity side in the second half. I've rarely witnessed a more witless prick attached to a flag. He flagged Delfouneso offside with a defender still to beat and flagged Downing offside with all four of Sunderland's back line playing him on (one by around four yards). His liberal interpretation of the rules regarding corners was as worrying as his apparent disregard for anything happening directly in front of him. I can only hope he is blind, or soon will be

To be fair, both were offside :lol:

The Downing one was an incredible spot, he was offside for about 0.5 of a second before looking around 3/4 yards onside. Why can't all linesman be as good as that? (honestly)

Thoughts on Delfouneso?

I thought he had an alright game. He looked good at times and kept the ball for the majority but didn't seem to get into many goos positions.

Was helping out the midfield far too much. I'd guess it's tactics but he was so deep alot of the time we had the ball he couldn't use his pace to break rarely at any times! He looks good though.

Disappointing again, but had a few chances to win it.

Thought Warnock had a better game than the Wolves game where he was anonymous. Dunne looked very tired and Milner and MON said after the game they are both carrying injuries so why he never rested Dunne and played L.Young with Cuellar and Collins in the centre is a mystery.

I thought the Fonz did okay but nothing spectacular was hoping for him to show some real class which he didn't do, I think he isn't quite ready for the premiership but agree he should be coming on as a sub to add some energy.

Petrov also tired towards the end but again has niggling injury concerns.

Our players look tired and the season seems to be fading away with them, I don't think we will finish 4th but I didn't think we would anyway.

I don't understand how people can be disappointed with Delfouneso. I think it's a matter of expecting too much from a 19 year old kid. For what it's worth he surprised me tonight, didn't know he was so quick.

Started off very well but when they had that goal disallowed (very marginal) I knew that another sloppy pass and they'd capitalise. Unfortunately that happened but the lads fought back and Carew finished another good chance, thank god he's getting into some form.

Second half was an abomination - players didnt look like they were communicating properly or knowing what they were even doing. Sunderland were the best team tonight, shows that we are slumping a bit and I hope this doesn't lead to anything worse. Young Nathan looked keen but not the kind of player who can really change a match, he's too raw.

If we don't manage to finish 4th this year (and I think theres still life in us yet) we will have lost it in the January transfer window when we didn't bring in the quality up front to sustain a challenge. If we finish 8th, god knows....

Everyone gets a 6 for me.

I don't understand how people can be disappointed with Delfouneso. I think it's a matter of expecting too much from a 19 year old kid. For what it's worth he surprised me tonight, didn't know he was so quick.

the problem is the fans are desperate for a goal scorer and may are pinning their hopes on him being that straight away.

Tonight I thought he looked good when on the ball and was positive, he often went forward to try and make things happened. Poor header at the end and poor decision to shoot just after.

Overall he showed he should have been given some chances earlier this season but probably isn't ready for a regular starting slot.