PL: Chelsea a Match Thread 2010/03/27 15:00

limpid

we cant even beat wolves at home, what chance do we have against a very good chelsea side away?

more of a chance then winning at Old Trafford....oh

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be my team and I think this might also be the team MON picks

--------------Friedel--------------

Young-Cuellar-Collins-Warnock

Young-Petrov-Sidwell-Downing

--------Carew-Gabby*/Fonz------

*Gabby if fit of course

Now I think this can go one of two ways:

I think they'll either be really confident from that Portsmouth win and go on to comfortably beat our tired team.

Or...

They'll go into the game complacent and we'll go into the game with a fighting spirit and record a shock victory.

Keep the faith.

5-3 villa

carew to go mental.

that post made me really laugh for some reason.

we have a chance in this game, we do tend to up our game against the better teams. having said that we could also get stuffed. i really don't know what to expect from it at all.

If rumors are correct they have indeed somewhat of defensive crisis, but what are the chances MON will be able to use this to our advantage? Given Maloudas recent form, this is a match where we MUST play L.Young as RB, otherwise he'll tear us completely apart and there is a big chance of this happening regardless.

Somehow I can still see us winning this. Much depends upon A.Young, Milner and Carew. Can't see the goals coming from elsewhere. The Fonz is certainly not ready to start this one. If the lump isn't fit I hope MON will play a 5-man midfield from start. Sidwell or maybe Delph in.

Why not Weimann on the bench ? He scores every game.

It might actually happen Simian. If nether Gabby or Heskey recovers from their injuries then we'll only have two fit forwards with any experience in Carew and Delfouneso. Ordinarily I think we'd go with a plan B of moving Milner or Young up front if we had trouble, but with Milner injured, Young will need to stay in midfield. I think Andreas Weimann has cemented his place as our fifth forward with his performances this season and if Gabby doesn't recover I see no reason why he wouldn't make the bench.

We're a bit thin on the ground for this one, we've got thirty six players with squad numbers and there is a chance that all of these will be unavailable.

Dunne

Milner

Harewood

Agbonlahor

Heskey

Reo Coker

Shorey

Osbourne

Lichaj

Lowry

Bannan

Baker

Herd

I think we can add Andy Marshall and Elliot Parish to that list, we won't need more than one keeper on the bench.

That leaves us with 21 players to pick a squad of 18 from.

Friedel, Young, Cuellar, Collins, Warnock, Petrov, Young, Sidwell, Downing, Carew and Delfouneso might be a likely starting eleven.

So you're then looking for Guzan and six from this as the bench.

Bouma, Albrighton, Davies, Delph, Salifou, Beye, Weimann, Clark, Hogg

Bouma hasn't played for two seasons, Hogg has never made the first team, what's left is three defenders, two central midfielders, Albrighton and Weimann.

Sort of picks itself doesn't it?

I'm hopeful someone will make a recovery by Saturday (hopefully Gabby) but if we were to pick up an injury or two in training, we could be in a difficult spot.

Of course none of this will stop us somehow pulling off a ridiculously unlikely victory at the Bridge.

Can we get this ?, could we play the canny card and rest players, thus not showing our hand before the Semi ?, if we loss this how much damage will this do to us finishing top 6 ?, how bad do Cheslea want this ?, do we really go all out for this and look for the shock result at the risk of falling short, losing, and then have to play the same side v Chelsea in the Semi, just days away with it fresh in the players mind that this or better Chelsea side can beat our best.

What to do. I know what i would do.

Who would you rest?

OBE:

Thats the question ? what would your gut reaction tell you, at this point in the season with so much importance on this fixture for Chelsea, being that if they drop points to Villa right now, that could be the end of the premiership title for them ( was this the bridge to far for Chelsea), if we are 2-1 up with 10 mins to go are players like Malouda going to start getting bitchy and and frustrated making silly tackles that put players out, for me all this plays its part.

Can we beat Chelsea in this game at this point, I would rest any key player that looks jaded that looks a doubt injury wise, thats coming back from injury.

Thing is MON is more a one trick pony ( I say that with 100% respect to the Man) he goes 100% for every game and looks for the result regardless of the next fixture( except for the Europa cup last year that is) .

Its a really difficult question that singles out the great tacticians from the also rans IMO, Mourinho was a class act in this way, out thinking the opposition manager IMO.