The VT Baby club

kimmie

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to wean our 6 month old Kian onto pureed food.

he's not having any of it, either refuses to open his mouth, or if i get some food in, then he spits it out & gives me an evil look.

any weaning tips?

he's not having any of it, either refuses to open his out, or if i get some food in, then he spits it out & gives me an evil look.

any weaning tips?

start on heinz, those pots are good.

also try yoghurt and fruit pots to start with. They nom them down pretty quick, especially if they are teething. Probably soothes them a bit.

Don't try anything like curry or bolognese, go for boiled chicken and sweet potato or just mashed potato and cheese that has very low salt in it.

This thread always leads to the nagging doubt that in some far off time in the future I'll decide (or more likely be persuaded) it's a good idea to have kids. It is, on a very slight, small level, terrifying.
No need to worry about it until when/if it happens.

I've known lots of people (men and women) who have done a total turnabout from saying they didn't want kids under any circumstances to being happy as Larry when they have them.

People change.

This thread always leads to the nagging doubt that in some far off time in the future I'll decide (or more likely be persuaded) it's a good idea to have kids. It is, on a very slight, small level, terrifying.
No need to worry about it until when/if it happens.

I've known lots of people (men and women) who have done a total turnabout from saying they didn't want kids under any circumstances to being happy as Larry when they have them.

People change.

Kids were never a serious thought for me till about 3 and a half years ago. I absolutely love being a Dad now. It was a bit scary at first, i was wary of even picking Jess up when she was born, but i soon got into the swing of things.

I don't think some people change, I believe a huge amount of people think that they sound like a terrible person if they say anything other than 'I love it, it is the most amazing thing in my life' when they are really thinking 'I like my baby and all but I miss my old life and I want it back'

But seriously, a friend of mine had a baby almost a year ago with her husband and she's seemingly outwardly happy about it all, but her life makes me depressed. It's like having a puppy - just not as good. Housebound, no adult conversation, no jumping on a train for a few days away (not without taking half the house with her anyway), crying, screaming, nappies baby television (arghhh) and toddler groups - it just appears like an utter utter misery.

New mothers are different human beings. It's impossible to talk about anything else in life. Their conversation is so one dimensional it actually makes me feel like I am living in a groundhog day everytime I see her. And you look on Facebook at a page of a friend who just had a baby and expect to see a whole mountain worth of status updates containing things like: Ohhh Jack has 6 teeth now. Jack just smiled. Jack splashed me in the bath, wow! Jack is so cute. Jack is holding my finger. Jack waved at daddy today for the first time. Jack is such a good boy, gaga goo ga. Oh... My... God.

But good luck to all the VT expectant parents out there x

I don't think some people change, I believe a huge amount of people think that they sound like a terrible person if they say anything other than 'I love it, it is the most amazing thing in my life' when they are really thinking 'I like my baby and all but I miss my old life and I want it back'

But seriously, a friend of mine had a baby almost a year ago with her husband and she's seemingly outwardly happy about it all, but her life makes me depressed. It's like having a puppy - just not as good. Housebound, no adult conversation, no jumping on a train for a few days away (not without taking half the house with her anyway), crying, screaming, nappies baby television (arghhh) and toddler groups - it just appears like an utter utter misery.

New mothers are different human beings. It's impossible to talk about anything else in life. Their conversation is so one dimensional it actually makes me feel like I am living in a groundhog day everytime I see her. And you look on Facebook at a page of a friend who just had a baby and expect to see a whole mountain worth of status updates containing things like: Ohhh Jack has 6 teeth now. Jack just smiled. Jack splashed me in the bath, wow! Jack is so cute. Jack is holding my finger. Jack waved at daddy today for the first time. Jack is such a good boy, gaga goo ga. Oh... My... God.

But good luck to all the VT expectant parents out there x

I take it your not going to give parenthood a go anytime soon then Laura? :D

:lol: Indeed.

I absolutely adore my boyfriend, I couldn't imagine anyone else being the father of my child. But if I got pregnant before the age of say, 35, I would be absolutely devastated.

I absolutely adore my boyfriend, I couldn't imagine anyone else being the father of my child. But if I got pregnant before the age of say, 35, I would be absolutely devastated.

Rude i know, but do you mind me asking how old you are Laura?

No not rude at all, I'm 25.

Cool, just wondered out of curiosity. I know this is probably the wrong thread, but what would you do if you did find out you were?

Grieve for the loss of the next 18 years of my life and start a Mike-style freedom calendar countdown. ;)

Honestly the thought of finding that out if it wasn't planned makes me feel sick. I'd just be gutted. I wouldn't have an abortion, it just wouldn't be an option for me and as I know I am likely to have some problems in that area then I would know it could be my only chance etc - so I'd keep the baby, but it would be a nightmare situation.

I admire greatly anyone who decides to have a child, it's the most incredible commitment - so huge that I cannot even imagine contemplating such a decision.

No not rude at all, I'm 25.

Cool, just wondered out of curiosity. I know this is probably the wrong thread, but what would you do if you did find out you were?

Grieve for the loss of the next 18 years of my life and start a Mike-style freedom calendar countdown. ;)

Honestly the thought of finding that out if it wasn't planned makes me feel sick. I'd just be gutted. I wouldn't have an abortion, it just wouldn't be an option for me and as I know I am likely to have some problems in that area then I would know it could be my only chance etc - so I'd keep the baby, but it would be a nightmare situation.

I admire greatly anyone who decides to have a child, it's the most incredible commitment - so huge that I cannot even imagine contemplating such a decision.

Thats fair enough, i suppose everyone is different and feel they are ready at different times/ages. So much comes into the decision its unreal. Your finances, living arrangments, work etc.

he's not having any of it, either refuses to open his out, or if i get some food in, then he spits it out & gives me an evil look.

any weaning tips?

start on heinz, those pots are good.

also try yoghurt and fruit pots to start with. They nom them down pretty quick, especially if they are teething. Probably soothes them a bit.

Don't try anything like curry or bolognese, go for boiled chicken and sweet potato or just mashed potato and cheese that has very low salt in it.

shouldnt you be starting on baby rice? ours is 5 months and doing well on his feeding. Started with a small amount of baby rice at 11 every day. After 3 days of successfully finishing his baby rice we started to try different vegetables. Puree everything and freeze in ice cube blocks. He would then have one ice cube block worth of food at 11 (so far tried corguette, peas, carrots, sweet potato) and a bit more baby rice at 6. We've got a really good book that were working through and for us its been amazing. As well as giving you a good eating plan it gives you advice on feeding technique (very important to stop them spitting it off the spoon.)

Ill find the name of the book and let you know. Best tip weve probably had is just to accept that some days he wont be interested and if he gets to a point when hes screaming for food then you havent got a chance. Routine seems the best thing.

My mortgage says you wouldn't. Forget about your mate's experience, she's not you.

Some of the best and happiest families I know were "accidental"/unintentional and the immediate news of pregnancy filled them with dread and anxiety - for a few days. Ask them now, and they wouldn't have things any other way.

You'd be amazed, believe me.

That doesn't mean I'm actually recommending early parenthood - your 20s are a good time for freedom and working on your career and all that. But there are compensations - if life changes, embrace it.

While it is totally understandable as to why, it doesn't change the fact that new mothers are by an absolute mile the dullest people around. For the reasons Laura says, they talk about nothing else. But as I said it is understandable. Just avoid them on facebook :shock:

My mortgage says you wouldn't. Forget about your mate's experience, she's not you.

Some of the best and happiest families I know were "accidental"/unintentional and the immediate news of pregnancy filled them with dread and anxiety - for a few days. Ask them now, and they wouldn't have things any other way.

That doesn't mean I'm actually recommending early parenthood - your 20s are a good time for freedom and working on your career and all that. But there are compensations - if life changes, embrace it.

I'm all for unexpected surprises and life changes, I moved jobs and half way up the country on a whim - bring all that business on.

But there is just one surprise I would never want - and it's that. I'm just not (currently) a 'child' person. I don't coo over babies, I don't have any desire to babysit my friends children or hold them when they come round or talk about how they wouldn't sleep last night etc. etc. etc. I'm a Godmother and I take that very seriously - that, for me, was a huge commitment. Anything else, for the foreseeable future, no thank you.

I'm all for unexpected surprises and life changes, I moved jobs and half way up the country on a whim - bring all that business on.

But there is just one surprise I would never want - and it's that. I'm just not (currently) a 'child' person. I don't coo over babies, I don't have any desire to babysit my friends children or hold them when they come round or talk about how they wouldn't sleep last night etc. etc. etc. I'm a Godmother and I take that very seriously - that, for me, was a huge commitment. Anything else, for the foreseeable future, no thank you.

couldnt agree more, we always wanted kids and put if off for years. I couldnt face the idea of not being prepared, needed a bigger house, more financial stability, didnt know enough about raising children. Eventually we made the move and couldnt be happier, your whole life changes but for most people you wouldnt change it back. I do think some people just arent made to do it though.

Â