The VT Baby club

kimmie

Day whatever of it of the sleepless nights... 

I was ready for the crying, ready for the night feeds, she's up at midnight, 3am and 6am, not a problem with that

What I wasn't ready for is just how noisy she is!  Every 2 mins its a grunt, snort, moan, groan etc it's constant and I'm a light sleeper, the whole anticipation of crying is mad 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Day whatever of it of the sleepless nights... 

I was ready for the crying, ready for the night feeds, she's up at midnight, 3am and 6am, not a problem with that

What I wasn't ready for is just how noisy she is!  Every 2 mins its a grunt, snort, moan, groan etc it's constant and I'm a light sleeper, the whole anticipation of crying is mad 

My boy, now 2, was almost perfect. Slept through almost 8 hours a night. My daughter is expected at the end of July and I just hope she's the same. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

My boy, now 2, was almost perfect. Slept through almost 8 hours a night. My daughter is expected at the end of July and I just hope she's the same. 

Our boy was the same, very good sleeper. We keep being told the 2nd won't be the same :P

19 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Our first was angelic, as you say, near perfect.

We convinced ourselves this was down to our good prep, good clear parenting, consistency of approach. We invested time and effort in doing the right thing and were rewarded with a good kid that was happy and balanced and reasonable. A virtuous circle.

For the second baby, please refer to the documentary I made of my experiences at the the time: The Exorcist meets 9/11.

• Haha 1

1st is a sleep tank, although since he's been 5 he uses all the tricks in the book to not go to bed (at 7.30pm). 

2nd is also very good, but slightly worse due to the amount of milk/food the thing eats.  So he wakes up hungry at around 11.30/12, then sleeps until 7am.

Very lucky! 

• 2 weeks later...

Wifey is due any moment now in the next week or so, kinda sucks that because bid Covid 19 I can't be there with her until the last stage of labour.

Missed out on a lot of the scans too.

Anyway just a general observation but did anyone ever feel like the father was just overlooked, I've just had a few experiences with midwife but whenever I was there it was like I didn't exist, I had to butt in just to feel like I was part of the conversation. They really should do more to include father's imo.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blimey. I knew it wasn’t gonna be easy but my McGrath. He’s had terrible problems jam tarting like blood curdling screams. Change formula. Gripe water. Probiotics. Nada!

today we bought some anti gas stuff and he’s passed out trumping away with no pain. Please please please let this be the solution!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Blimey. I knew it wasn’t gonna be easy but my McGrath. He’s had terrible problems jam tarting like blood curdling screams. Change formula. Gripe water. Probiotics. Nada!

today we bought some anti gas stuff and he’s passed out trumping away with no pain. Please please please let this be the solution!!!

Hey Dom - If you are formula feeding we had the same problem. He couldn't poop for days and was in agony - it was just awful. But we found a solution. 

https://www.organicbabyfood24.de/lebenswert-bio-organic-infant-formula-stage-1?number=SW10083

Obviously your wife and you will do the research yourself but we imported this German formula and it was a complete game changer. Expensive - yes - but it's your kid so it's worth it. (ps pay for express shipping its only $20 more and they get it to you in about 3 days.)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, hogso said:

Sylvie Rose Kent was born via emergency c section at 5:40 am this past Saturday, 28/11/20. 7lb on the money, only issue for her was some slight tongue tie. I'm beyond chuffed, obviously. She's home now too, it's mad how quickly holding her, changing her, etc feels so natural so quickly isn't it? 

Tldr; the labour was hard, but for those interested and may have had similar experiences or concerns about their partner being in labour... 

Baby was OP (back to back) so the pain was more than she could handle with paracetamol and the tens machine. This was 3am Thursday. Went in, she was only 1cm, came home, pain got worse so went back hours later, they kept her in and I went home. Friday at 12pm they try and induce her and as they start the procedure find that she's 4cm, so we go to the delivery suite. 

Gas and air helped for a while , but by the time of the next check (5cm), the pain is multiplying, and quite quickly its decided and agreed an epidural was the way to go. They couldn't get it in though, trying to get it in between the bones, but kept hitting bones. She was in unspeakable pain. They get the consultant who sorts it, fast forward 4 hours and they decide to put in a hormone drip. 

Throughout all this baby's heart rate has been dropping every now and again, no concerns really, but it's being monitored. Now the drips in though, things start going peculiar. These drops were a few seconds in length usually, but there was a moment when one lasted for over a minute, which caused the emergency alarm to be pulled and a mass of faces to rush in. Baby's heart rate back went to normal...then got higher, and higher, and higher. Doctor decides after an hour or so (I think) that enough was enough and although she then 9cm, a section was required. 

She lost 2 litres of blood during the surgery, had a transfusion during it and another the day after, and there was a moment that I was sitting there with my freshly extracted child looking at my girlfriend who was whiter than white, vitals dropping, and blood visibly dripping to the floor. Simultaneously the best and worst moment of my life. The doctor kicked off at one point too cos he wanted a very specific sort of stitch which the nurses couldn't find in theatre. In different circumstances I would have found this quite amusing, and in hindsight I do. Lots of shouting about them being silk, and the nurses saying yes we know what silk is. 

Eventually we were back to the delivery suite, and then to the ward. I made phone calls to family at about 8:30am, but had to wait with mum and baby until they were settled on the ward until about 3pm Saturday. So, the time scale of all this was about 60 hours. I have a newfound understanding of time. It's a bit like an unlock in a video game. Before all this, I would have said, say, 6 hours was a long time. I now understand it's a very short period of time. 

We thought all the way through baby was a boy, so a girl was a bit of a shock, but we didn't find out purposefully for that moment of realisation. It paid off, and I'd recommend not finding out if you and your partner aren't bothered about what you're having. If you made it through that, nice one, here's baby (no Villa colours yet...)

Hide contents

I might not ever mention Villa. Seems cruel. 

IMG_20201128_114211 (3).jpg

You think that's bad?  

I went to Tesco last night and as I got out the car I realised I'd forgot my wallet and had to drive ALL the way home (about half a mile) to go ALL the way back again.

Congrats buddy!  Let's hope she's better at football than her old man "WAP WAP WAP WAAAAAAAAAAAAAP"

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â