The VT Baby club

kimmie

The one real positive for me of knowing in advance is it halved the task of working out names. This was difficult enough as it was, without having to come up with options for either outcome!
It was a bloody good job we had two girls, as we had agreed on girls' names within about half an hour of discussing it.

We were at a total stalemate with boys' names though, would have been a nightmare.

The wife and I can only agree on boy's names. We are really struggling with girl's names. It's not even that we can't agree on one, we are just drawing a blank. Is this a weird sign that we will have a boy?

Did you by anychance choose the name jack ?....if not it must have been on the short list

No Jack isn't on the shortlist but it was the most popular boy's name in Ireland last year.

The one real positive for me of knowing in advance is it halved the task of working out names. This was difficult enough as it was, without having to come up with options for either outcome!
It was a bloody good job we had two girls, as we had agreed on girls' names within about half an hour of discussing it.

We were at a total stalemate with boys' names though, would have been a nightmare.

The wife and I can only agree on boy's names. We are really struggling with girl's names. It's not even that we can't agree on one, we are just drawing a blank. Is this a weird sign that we will have a boy?

Did you by anychance choose the name jack ?....if not it must have been on the short list

No Jack isn't on the shortlist but it was the most popular boy's name in Ireland last year.

I like the name Jack, is on the shortlist (and was my late Grandad's name) but I think we already have a name that we like, still 3 months to wait though.

The 12 week scan is one of the most magical things you will ever experience, especially if its your first kid. :)

Made me cry for the first time since being a child myself.

It really is incredible. Especially when you see the flutter of the heartbeat!

My wife is 25 weeks now! Really really exciting!!

12 week scan went well, even though we found out we're actually only 10 weeks and 5 days in!

good heart beat, arms moving, if a little small as it was a early scan

got the real 12 week scan in a couple of weeks now

Congrats villarule! I wish we could have another scan - seems a shame that the 20 week scan is the last.

That's brilliant Rev, how are you finding the nights so far? Have got to admit, the stories of feeling zombified through lack of sleep have me worried a tad!

just on this subject, many years ago when a none too bright work mate told me he was going to be a dad. I asked him if he was going to be at the birth(it wan't all that common at the time) he said no. I said I think Id like to be and he told me to bugger off and wait till my own wife was preggers

just on this subject, many years ago when a none too bright work mate told me he was going to be a dad. I asked him if he was going to be at the birth(it wan't all that common at the time) he said no. I said I think Id like to be and he told me to bugger off and wait till my own wife was preggers

Really?! I can't imagine not being with my other half when she's giving birth. I'd just feel like I would've missed out on probably the biggest moment of my life if I wasn't there.

My advice to anyone who wants i,t is to be an active father, I have a 2 and half year old daughter and a 3 and a half month year old daughter and both my and the wife have put as much time and effort into them as we can. You dont half see the benefit such as speech development, manners, intelligence and the overall love they show you. You defo get back what time you put into them.

Being parents is of course about sacrifice, even to the extent of finding how good a family you have and if you have any "real" friends that are still around when your not out on the piss my lord and other things that you just dont do anymore when your a parent.

I have taken all my daughters to all their check ups, injections and midwife/ health visitor appointments and how you are stereo typed is shocking. They think the missus is suffering from post natal depression most of the time! Bloody idiots! I like to have an active role and take some heat off the missus, but the NHS do not seem to "get this".

Cherish every moment as they seem to grow up so quickly, my two year old is going on twenty one already!

For all the expectant VT'ers out there, I wish you and you partners an amazing pregnancy and parenthood!

UTV!

• 1 month later...

We're just starting looking at getting bits and pieces in preparation for our baby's arrival. I can't believe the price of pushchairs! :shock:

There are so many to choose from aswell. Any tips from those who have been down this road recently?

We're just starting looking at getting bits and pieces in preparation for our baby's arrival. I can't believe the price of pushchairs! :shock:

There are so many to choose from aswell. Any tips from those who have been down this road recently?

Depends mainly on what car you drive, and how much you've got to spend.

We've got a Freelander and started off with a Mamas and Papas Ultima

20100216-xhwtbs9k6tkekdu2y1pi6yw572.jpg

Which came with a car seat, stand, stroller, pram etc. I think we got a deal for £550 ish. It was great except the wheels we got are fixed so steering awkward and it is massively bulky even when folded. AND you get done for another £135 for the ISOFIX seat base, which although not totally necessary, is loads more secure than the seatbelt only fitting.

So we then got a Quinny Buzz stroller. Which is much better, still bulky but less so than the M&P one.

large-quinny-buzz-2011-rebel-red.jpg

As your child gets bigger, you don't need the pram base etc. so maybe change to a fold up stroller?

Treat it like buying a car, some brands are Fords, some are Skoda's, some are Mercs.... how much they want should give you a clue how they see themselves.

My little girl turns 1 tomorrow. Can't believe how fast its gone......

Yeah we also had the Ultima from Momma's and Poppa's, very good and got our money's worth out of it. We also had the ISOFIX which is very easy and quick to use (i would recommend getting one, worth every penny), George has been in his 'bigger' car seat now (we used the carry car seat that came with the Ultima pram until he got too big) for about 3/4 months now (he's almost 14 months old), and his bigger car seat which will last till he is 4ish also fits in the ISOFIX so you do get good usage out of it.

As Eames said, as they grow up and get bigger you wont use the 'pram' type pushchair anywhere near as much and just a little fold away buggy type pram is much more practical. Kids are as expensive as you allow them/you choose to be if that makes sence, but i will agree with Eames in the sence you defo get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

Happy birthday to Princess Eames for tomorrow! :birthday:

Happy Birthday to Princess Eames for tomorrow! :birthday:

Cheers buddy. :cheers: Its an excuse to drink "Daddy juice" for 3 days.....

The Bank Manager was strangely happy to hear about this as well following Mrs E's birthday arrangements!!

At least she looks like mummy and not daddy in a wig. :shock:

We've had her in a Maxi-Cosi Tobi car seat for a few months now which should last until she's 4ish.

The other piece of advice with pushchairs and stuff is if you can (and I appreciate its not always possible because the hospital won't discharge you to go home by car without a car seat) is try the baby in them before you buy because they are all different sizes and shapes, and not all car seats fit cars well - the new seat doesn't like my Golf at all......

I am new to this thread but have just had our 12 week scan today for my first!

One thing that hit me was just how real it it all became in the space of a few seconds!

Never having any experience of children before Im actually really quite nervous about the whole thing!

I am new to this thread but have just had our 12 week scan today for my first!

One thing that hit me was just how real it it all became in the space of a few seconds!

Never having any experience of children before Im actually really quite nervous about the whole thing!

Get a load of money, and chuck it down a drain. ;) Similar effect so I've heard.

Â