PL: Sunderland h Match Thread 2010/03/24 19:45

limpid

But even Macheda really just scored one good goal and sort of diappeared. It's only because the press collectively shot their loads all over him that people thought he was amazing.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Guardian are also reporting that Milner might not be fit for tonight. He seems more likely to play than Gabby or Dunne, though.

I think that through Delfouneso being kept on the bench, it has - in a strange way - heightened some fans' expectations of him. MON doesn't want to throw him in too soon (understandably), but now through actually not spending time on the pitch, many supporters expect him to be our saviour. So either way, he has a lot of pressure on his shoulders; it must be difficult for MON. That said, I would like to see him get a run out tonight. I just wouldn't be expecting a black David Villa!

Also hope that the fans don't start getting frustrated with the lads early, particularly if we go a goal down. The squad is in the starting stages of quite a strenuous run-in; fitness levels won't be great and they'll need the fans to get behind them for that extra boost. Booing and criticism won't help, even if it seems to be directed towards the manager for not using his squad.

If Delfouneso starts he will score and if he gets more than twenty minutes as a sub he will score. Over to you Martin

Why do people keep saying that? When did he turn into Wayne Rooney?

God knows mate it is becoming a joke now.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Fonz and think he's a great prospect. But there is so much expectation on himI can't see him being anything more than a disappointment when he finally gets a good run in a league game.

Salifou syndrome strikes again I'm afraid.

Yeah lets face it, he probably doesnt play much for a good reason. MON is hardly going to jeapordise our chances on purpose is he?

If Dunne, Milner and Agbonlahor are all out, that would be the most injury-hit team we've had for a while. Those are probably three of our four most important players (the other being A. Young) and it looks a bit like having the spine ripped out of the team.

Is Delph fit? I've liked what little I've seen of him this season. He seems to give us more movement and combines well with Young. I would like to see him play because the usual team minus Gabby looks painfully slow and predictable going forward.

if james needs a rest i think tonight would be one of the best games to do so in to be honest, we need him on saturday if we are to get anything at the bridge.

Surely it should be the reverse of that?

if james needs a rest i think tonight would be one of the best games to do so in to be honest, we need him on saturday if we are to get anything at the bridge.

Surely it should be the reverse of that?

It depends how good you think we are.

If you think Sunderland should be a comfortable win and Chelsea a close game, then you might rest players against Sunderland and play your best team at Chelsea.

If you think Sunderland will be a close game, but Chelsea are likely to beat us easily whatever the team, then you might play your best team against Sunderland and rest players against Chelsea.

In any case, I doubt that there will be many unenforced changes in either game.

We have got to play our strongest available team tonight- Chelsea is a big game too but Sunderland are on a good run and we will need to be at best to turn them over.

Absolutely!!!

I think we can lose at Chelsea and still get 4th.

If we lose tonight, we will be struggling.

No he's my fantasy league captain!

If Dunne is out it can never be a positive, however, I'd much rather see a back 4 of

Young...Cuellar...Collins...Warnock than the usual with Cuellar at rb. Sometimes injuries can be a blessing in diguise.

Providing Dunne and Gabby are out Id go with the above and

..............Petrov

.....Milner..........Delph

Young.....Carew.....Downing

Not sure how Carew by himself would work, but I think it's crucial we have an extra man in midfield. Bring Fonz on as opposed to Heskey if we are struggling

If Dunne is out it can never be a positive, however, I'd much rather see a back 4 of

Young...Cuellar...Collins...Warnock than the usual with Cuellar at rb. Sometimes injuries can be a blessing in diguise.

..............Petrov

Not sure how Carew by himself would work, but I think it's crucial we have an extra man in midfield. Bring Fonz on as opposed to Heskey if we are struggling

I like this idea Tommo. We dont often see (if never) Carew in attack on his own, and it could well work, with all the pace around him. I might be tempted to choose Sidwell over Delph. Big Occassion, Need a win and Sidwell (as bad as a lot of people make him out to be) could still have a big role to play for us imo. The equaliser last week will give him confidence, and I think he gets a lot of unfair stick seen as he rarely gets any game time. We have seen at Wigan and Everton last season, and at Arsenal at home last season, what he can do. I think the lad deserves another chance.

We have got to play our strongest available team tonight- Chelsea is a big game too but Sunderland are on a good run and we will need to be at best to turn them over.

Absolutely!!!

I think we can lose at Chelsea and still get 4th.

If we lose tonight, we will be struggling.

Yes Woody I've been on the BBC predictor too

..............Petrov

I like this idea Tommo. We dont often see (if never) Carew in attack on his own, and it could well work, with all the pace around him. I might be tempted to choose Sidwell over Delph. Big Occassion, Need a win and Sidwell (as bad as a lot of people make him out to be) could still have a big role to play for us imo. The equaliser last week will give him confidence, and I think he gets a lot of unfair stick seen as he rarely gets any game time. We have seen at Wigan and Everton last season, and at Arsenal at home last season, what he can do. I think the lad deserves another chance.

I'd be ok with giving Sidwell a chance too, but given Delph's performances this season it would seem mad to pick Sidwell over him. I wouldn't mind seeing Sidwell in a midfield 3, but unless he is able to do something special then Petrov, Milner, NRC and Delph are all ahead of him for a starting berth imo.

It's ok going with experience and expecting them to do the job, but what MON hasn't done is found a system which suits these experienced players. I can't see any reason why the 'inexperienced' Delph, Fonz, and Luke Young could not do a better job than the first team at the moment.

Bit of a risk with Delph starting, but if Milner is out I'd play a 4-4-1-1 like this -

Friedel

L Young Cuellar Collins Warnock

Downing Petrov Sidwell Delph

A Young

Carew

If Milner plays then I think it'll be the defence as above, but the same front 6 as against Wolves.

I'm not too hopeful of Tonight's game.. I'm thinking a 2-1 win but I've got a feeling it'll be a right battle!