• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • sidwell (for Gabby 80)
    • Heskey (for Carew 80)

Just got in, thought we deserved the win. Played well second half and made Wigan resort to hoofball. Milner, Collins and Dunne were quality. Just don't see why we had to go so defensive with the subs and invite them onto us for a nervy last ten minutes?

Those of you who went:

Why the massive delay in cheering for the og? I appreciate you were down the other end but were you all just looking at each other for 4 seconds?!

Couldn't really see mate, view was blocked and to me it looked as if the ball hadn't even crossed the line at first. Lol. Then cuz we were like 5 seconds late the celebration was weird, didn't really feel like you could jump around and go mental. Thought the atmosphere was class tonite though

Those of you who went:

Why the massive delay in cheering for the og? I appreciate you were down the other end but were you all just looking at each other for 4 seconds?!

It was just hard to tell what happened, the angle was crap, the view of the "shot" was obscured and even the players didn't seem to celebrate.

Dunno if it came across, cos it was hilarious, but we all started singing "What the **** Hell was That!".

Strangest goal celebration I've ever been involved in, some of the free kicks we won in the second half got bigger cheers!

Yeah funny first goal, I honestly thought Kirkland had saved it until I saw the referee signal a goal, couldn't see a frigging thing :lol: The second celebration made up for it though :winkold:

On reflection, I think I would agree with Milner getting MOTM as it took a moment of quality to secure the three points. However I really don't subscribe to this viewpoint that Milner was untouchable tonight, I thought he was poor in the first half and kept taking heavy touches and going missing out wide, which then left Petrov exposed. He obviously had a good second half and his engine is second-to-none but I still think he has work to do before we can start calling him "world class". The potential is there no doubt, but if he was world class surely he would have buried that second goal soon after his first with the goal gaping.

I also thought Petrov, Collins, Carew and Gabby had good games with the others flattering to deceive yet again. Wigan were very poor tonight and we made hard work of the win. We created some good chances and for a 20 minute spell in the second half we looked bang on our game but for the rest it looked less than convincing and it was a good job Milner did produce that moment to win us the game.

Also, you have to seriously question what the hell Martin was doing by making such a negative double substitution near the end which was just inviting pressure, on another day it could have come back to haunt us. Very important win though which must be followed up with a more confident, assured performance against Wolves. It's no good winning games like tonight if you then slip up at home to the Dingles.

Also, you have to seriously question what the hell Martin was doing by making such a negative double substitution near the end which was just inviting pressure

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't is the way I see it.

I don't understand how some people can't see what a class player Downing is. Ok, he gives the ball away occasionally, but he is a brilliant crosser, pacy, good vision, and generally excellent on the ball. There is no way he should lose his place, except maybe to give Albrighton a few minutes at the end.

Voted for Collins MOTM, just because he was brilliant and Milner will get quite enough votes :)

I don't understand how some people can't see what a class player Downing is. Ok, he gives the ball away occasionally, but he is a brilliant crosser, pacy, good vision, and generally excellent on the ball. There is no way he should lose his place, except maybe to give Albrighton a few minutes at the end.

Voted for Collins MOTM, just because he was brilliant and Milner will get quite enough votes :)

This.

He's one of those players who does his job without getting noticed. When he doesn't do his job though, he's quickly jumped on.

Some of his crossing lately has been fantastic. People forget he's on an unfamiliar right side for most of the game and will take a while to fully settle after his injury.

Friedel - 7 - Nothing much to do to be fair.

Cuellar - 7.5 -Good game and important, Wigan played alot of long diagonal balls and his strength in the air was important.

Warnock - 6.5 - Sometimes he looks great and then sometimes he scares the shit out of you, needs to cut out some silly errors but generally very good.

Collins - 8 - Fantastic and won everything.

Dunne - 8 - See above, both of them were brilliant.

Downing - 7 - I don't think he's that confident and comfortable on the right, however for me he's a player who's about confidence, once we get him fired up, he'll be brilliant, can see the ability on the ball.

Milner - 10 - I love you.

Petrov - 7.5 - Battled well.

Ash Young - 7.5 - Good when he was on the ball although sometimes drifted in and out the game.

Agbonlahor - 7 - Look a little tired and was caught offside to many times, but a constant threat.

Carew - 7.5 - I thought he played really well.

Our opener was initially the least celebrated goal i've ever witnessed. where we were sitting no-one had a clue what had happened, comical.

Thought villa were great tonight. I was particularly impressed by Downing, who I've been slating of late. actually looked up for it today which was nice to see.

Essentially we did exactly what we needed to, I think most would have said that was a must-winner if we are to retain interest in the league.

Milner was outstanding.

Our fans were typically loud and boisterous despite the very very poor wigan attendance, I bumped into a load of blackburn fans who were going to it in the wigan end for free.... very strange.

Anyway, more of that please!

This.

He's one of those players who does his job without getting noticed. When he doesn't do his job though, he's quickly jumped on.

Some of his crossing lately has been fantastic. People forget he's on an unfamiliar right side for most of the game and will take a while to fully settle after his injury.

The new Gareth Barry, then?

just got back, great atmosphere in the away end tonight. the same can't be said for the wigan fans, they were shocking!

milner had a great second half tonight, that run down to the corner flag in the 89th minute was unreal.

thought the defence had a good night, i voted for warnock MOTM but i'm not sure why now i have done so. collins was great again, just like saturday. carew was also very very good tonight, help up play really well and looked threatening.

steve bennett was atrocious, we were lucky that none of his shocking decisions cost us.

all in all an enjoyable night out and such a crucial 3 points in the bag.

I'm a big fan of Downing and can see he has undoubted potential. Just think he needs a break at the moment as he has struggled the last few games minus the Burnley win. I don't think he's missed a game since his return?? I hope he proves me wrong and has a cracker on Saturday anyhow!

Took us a good 5-6 seconds to realise we had scored the first!!

Yeah that was well funny...I got a phonecall to say we'd scored as they didn't know I was at the DW watching the game, so had to tell everyone around me who the goalscorer was as no one had a clue!

Much warmer tonight than Saturday at Stoke...loads of Villa fans & when we sang it was brilliant.

Someone really needs to turn the volume down on Wigan's tannoy it's absurdly loud!!

Good display....Milner was back to his best tonight I thought and credit to Wigan they played their part Was an exciting end to end match...but Flip I hate a 2-1 scorelines on about 87minutes. I don't want to watch!

referree was absolutely shocking AGAIN!!!..Must be a Spurs fan or the FA have told all officials they'd rather Spurs make the CL than Villa!!!

3 points off 4th with a game in hand ain't bad for this stage of the season!

UTV