News story of the day

BOF

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So how has that blown something of that size so badly off course then?

edit - I know nothing about sailing btw

Such a long, slab sided ship that’s piled high with equally slab sided containers would experience a massive force from a 31mph sideways wind. In open sea it would have been easier to steer against the wind, (head on if necessary - to much reduce the ship’s area presented to the wind), to maintain course. That’s not possible in a narrow ship canal. They may find the captain could have done better but I suspect there was little that could be done do to avert other than to have secured up before entering the canal and waited for the cross wind to reduce or change direction.

Surprisingly enough not Florida

Woman Who Murdered Her Sister's Boyfriend So Sister Could Marry Their Father Sentenced to 40 Years

d82053de1acc452aa7cfb4061a915665_md.jpg

Anna Marie Choudhary, 33, is the final person to be sentenced for the murder of John Thomas McGuire; after her sister Amanda Michelle Naylor McClure, 31, and father Larry Paul McClure Sr, 55, were both sentenced last year in a bizarre case that involved torture, incest and a sick "trust game".

McGuire's body was found in a shallow grave in West Virginia on September 24, 2019, seven months after he was killed, after Larry McClure led police to it; had he not, investigators admitted the trio likely would have gotten away with the murder, the Bluefield Daily Telegraph reported.

The court heard how Larry, who was initially estranged from both daughters, linked back up with them following his release from a 17 year sentence on child molestation.

In the days before the murder, all four went to Skygusty where they unsuccessfully tried to cook meth.

https://toofab.com/2021/04/02/woman-who-murdered-her-sisters-boyfriend-so-sister-could-marry-their-father-sentenced-to-40-years/

• Like 1

That absolutely heartbreaking story of the 2 week old baby who was killed on Brownhills High Street when an out of control car hit his pram :(

Turns out the vehicle (BMW) was untaxed, uninsured and the driver had no licence. Absolute scum. Hope he gets a lengthy custodial sentence. 

I've said before, there must be millions of cars and drivers on the road that aren't legal. Where's the deterrent? 

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

That absolutely heartbreaking story of the 2 week old baby who was killed on Brownhills High Street when an out of control car hit his pram :(

Turns out the vehicle (BMW) was untaxed, uninsured and the driver had no licence. Absolute scum. Hope he gets a lengthy custodial sentence. 

I've said before, there must be millions of cars and drivers on the road that aren't legal. Where's the deterrent? 

You hope they will get some instant prison justice.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2021 at 12:21, mjmooney said:

West Virginia, though. 

I'm reminded of a joke told by a former colleague whose wife taught at West Virginia University.

Q:   How do we know the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia?

A:   Because if it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Interesting and not-at-all surprising that these stories aren't making it over to the Big Island in any number. The extent to which Brexit has undermined the viability of loyalism as a philosophy is fascinating, I imagine those kicking off can feel it, even if they might struggle to put it into words.

15 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

What is happening in Belfast the last week should be bigger news.

This is this evening.

What's also very telling, typical and expected is DUP leader, Arlene Foster's response where she watches the footage of attempted murder of a bus driver and then in a textbook example of whataboutery claims 'the real law breakers' are elsewhere. Because of course throwing petrol bombs isn't real law breaking to her.

Still, the footage takes me back.

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Interesting and not-at-all surprising that these stories aren't making it over to the Big Island in any number. The extent to which Brexit has undermined the viability of loyalism as a philosophy is fascinating, I imagine those kicking off can feel it, even if they might struggle to put it into words.

I would say that most of us in England are  aware of an area of our ‘country’ called Northern Ireland, but really couldn’t give a shit about them any more than we do about Nigeria or New Zealand.

Â