News story of the day

BOF

On 02/12/2020 at 22:16, bickster said:

Theres a very logical reason for not choosing 1 2 3 4 5 6 anytime. Its the most popular combination of numbers played. By a ludicrous margin (in the thousands iirc)

10,000 odd at last count meaning win 5 million and pick up five hundred quid, what a pisser that would be

• Like 1

Not sure if his message touches on our possibility to loan Januzaj in January but still interesting.

"I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING LOTS OF FUN IN TRYING TO CATCH ME."

"THAT WASNT ME ON THE TV SHOW WHICH BRINGS UP A POINT ABOUT ME I AM NOT AFRAID OF THE GAS CHAMBER BECAUSE IT WILL SEND ME TO PARADICE [sic] ALL THE SOONER BECAUSE I NOW HAVE ENOUGH SLAVES TO WORK FOR ME WHERE EVERYONE ELSE HAS NOTHING WHEN THEY REACH PARADICE SO THEY ARE AFRAID OF DEATH."

"I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW THAT MY NEW LIFE IS LIFE WILL BE AN EASY ONE IN PARADICE DEATH."

https://toofab.com/2020/12/12/zodiac-killer-message-solved-after-51-years/

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Better to be safe than sorry, that could have been some poor sole who perished. 

Yeah, you never know what might turnip when you start digging around in a field.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, you never know what might turnip when you start digging around in a field.

A Swede making a turnip joke :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Adobe Flash Shutdown Halts Chinese Railroad for Over 16 Hours Before Pirated Copy Restores Ops

According to a report by Apple Daily, the problem reared its head for China Railway Shenyang in Dalian, Liaoning just after 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 12. Per an event timeline outlined by Github, the head of a switching station reported being unable to access the railroad's timetables, which they normally did through a browser-based Flash interface. Over the next half hour, reports of similar failures poured in from across the network, with as many as 30 stations implicated according to a CR Shenyang statement reported by a Chinese blog.

Only after technicians went online to research bug fixes did officials learn of the global Flash shutdown, news of which seemingly didn't penetrate the insular Chinese internet. A translation of the Github timeline suggests restoring software backups temporarily restored service around noon, though outages returned again at around 2:00 p.m., and later on in the evening. CR Shenyang's response team then reportedly began exploring a reversion to older software systems, its options apparently consisting of an unspecified Microsoft-based setup, or an archived, pirated version of Flash without the "time bomb" code. Technicians settled on the latter, and around 1:00 a.m. on the 13th, CR Shenyang successfully brought one of its stations fully online. By 2:30 a.m., all but one route was back in service and the railroad's Y2K21 nightmare behind it

The Drive

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Flash is still a thing??? 

Not any more, it officially died i.e. no more support from Adobe (and they themselves introduced code to it to kill it I think) on New Years Day. It had been announced in 2017

News didn't get through to this Chinese Railway Company though

New year new possibilities 

The camel man is suspected of the chainsaw threat in Kungsbacka

The man with the chainsaw, who thundered into a bar in central Kungsbacka on Monday night, is the same man who has previously been suspected of having attacked hotel staff while riding a camel in Turkey.

At 7.30 pm on Monday evening, a man rushed into a bar at Norra Torget with a chainsaw in full swing in his hands. The guests fled out the back door and the man with the chainsaw then disappeared from the scene.

People on site had been able to point out a probable perpetrator and during the night a man in his 40s was arrested in Kungsbacka. After a brief interrogation, the man was arrested by prosecutors on duty.

Initially, the heading was an illegal threat to a group, but after questioning, the suspicion has been strengthened to a serious crime.

District Attorney Sonja Seligmann says that at present there is nothing to indicate that the man's actions with the chainsaw were directed at the bar where the man rushed in or at any specific person there.

Kungsbacka-Posten can state that the now suspected chainsaw man is the same man - who was riding a camel with a blood alcohol content of 3.55 in his blood - harassed staff and guests inside a hotel in Turkey last summer.

https://kungsbackaposten.se/nyheter/kamelmannen-misstankts-for-motorsagshotet-i-kungsbacka/

Good story out of Bravislava

https://www.cas.sk/clanok/1080256/absurdny-pripad-na-pumpe-v-bratislave-lupica-zdrzala-zena-odpadnete-co-urobila/?fbclid=IwAR1r4Gky64l_2BJ9rMAne5ywJywo5Z9Idhu63SP-qaW0f3O23l8W6H5U9ac

Original in Slovak, translated here:

A truly bizarre case took place at a pump in Petržalka, Bratislava.

Only a 24-year-old man broke into the gas station on Wednesday morning at 4.00 am. 

"Under the threat of using violence, he demanded the employee to issue cash. The man then attacked the employee and attacked him with blows to the face.

The men of the law found out on the spot that the robber was inside the pump. However, a young woman provided sexual services to a man in one of the rooms! According to TV, JOJ began to satisfy the thief orally until the cops arrived. She wanted to help detain the perpetrator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The southern shandy drinkers will like this one. 

A pet ferret has made a "miraculous" recovery after accidentally spending a full cycle in a washing machine.

Bandit was given a 1% chance of survival by vets after going through a 100-minute wash when he sneaked into his owners' machine in Leeds.

The two-year-old ferret suffered a collapsed lung and bruising in the incident.

Veterinary surgeon David Massey said Bandit was in a "pretty bad way when he came in".

"The team here got to work quickly to try and save his life," said Mr Massey.

"His owners' quick-thinking upon realising the situation also helped ensure we could prevent a tragedy.

"Amazingly, within four hours of being admitted he took a few gentle steps, which is when we started to become confident that he would make a good, and miraculous, recovery."

Bandit's owner Jackie Redfern said she feared the worst before a call from Vets4Pets in Colton, Leeds, confirmed Bandit was responding positively to treatment.

"His brother, Mikey, had been quiet for two days," said Ms Redfern.

"But, as soon as Bandit was back, he immediately perked up and seemed to want to take care of his sibling and was constantly by his side."

Mr Massey warned pet owners to be careful and check their washing machines before using them.

He said: "While this situation is thankfully extremely rare, washing machines and tumble dryers can often be a place our furry friends can seek out, particularly during colder weather when they might be looking for a cosy place to curl up." 

BBC

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The southern shandy drinkers will like this one. 

BBC

like Notherners own washing machines , they still walk down to their local stream to wash their clothes once a month 

(since you asked :) )

• Like 1

Â