• L Young
    • Downing
    • Milner
    • Delph
    • A Young
    • Agbonlahor
    • Carew
    • Sidwell (on for Delph 76 min)

It was always going to be a tough game. O'Neill was correct in playing a near full-strength side. We had the experience on the pitch to up our game once they equalised.

However, if we had taken our chances in the 1st half, we could have had a much easier 2nd half. Some of our build up play was excellent.

Cuellar was good but gave away a few needless freekicks in dangerous positions.

MOTM - Ashley Young.

I didn't think it was a penalty live, but then I was a good hundred plus yards away and I'm a one eyed biased Villa fan with a grudge.

The tackle itself was a foul, but Warnock was fouled by Lee hitting him in the face before the tackle was made. I assume the ref didn't see that bit, rather than deciding it was a fair challenge. It looked quite deliberate, the way that Heinze used to do a rugby handoff every time someone ran past him, while looking the other way to make it seem accidental.

Thought that was the best i'd seen of Carew all season. Did more than Heskey ever does.

not sure about that. theres been games this season where heskey has been integral, especially in big games away from home. i thought he was fantastic at Old Trafford for example - his ball retention and lay offs when he drops deep are really important to our counter attacks.

as much as i love carew his work in the build up is shocking. thus i vote emily to start on sunday

Did anyone work out where Downing was meant to be playing today? He seemed to be very central a lot of the time but he hadn't swapped with Milner as he was still in the middle too.

Delph is going to be a cracking player

Nice to see Big John on the scoresheet albeit penalties

And will the clown who keeps voting Sidwell MotM please own up? I think it's that nutter Gingerlad ;-)

Thought it was interesting to watch Delph tonight. He had some nice touches and looks positive which is something I like even in a more defensive role. He still has a hell of a lot to learn though, as you'd expect. I imagine he'll bulk up a fair bit over the next couple of years and he also needs to learn how to protect the ball more in the way Stan does. He lost it needlessly a couple of times trying silly moves that were never going to come off, that's something I imagine he'll eradicate with more experience though.

All in all though I thought there were plenty of positives to take out of his performance tonight. He's certainly at the right place to develop as there aren't many who have failed to improve under MON. Let's hope he's a good listener.

I voted Ash....he's playing with alot more confidence lately, which bodes well for us coming down the stretch. He had the defence dizzy at times tonight. Great stuff.

Good to see Carew bang in a couple of PK's.....hopefully that kick starts his season.

Cup Final this weekend followed by several teams we should take 3 points from.

March is upon us, and we're in all 3 competitions.....

UTV!

enjoyed the game. though we dominated totally apart from a 15 min period up till they scored the pen. that seemed to knock us back into action and we went on to deservedly get the win.

i liked how we mixed it up today and played a lot more on the floor through the middle as well down the wings. some of the movement in the first half was excellent from everybody, lots of balls into the forwards feet, through balls for the overlapping fullback. good stuff.

if we had taken better care of our final ball and finishing tonight it would have been a rout. there were several times where we had an opportunity to square up the keeper and have a simple tap in:gabby when he shot instead of passing to carew, warnock when he hit it too hard across infront of carew, and milner messed up a pass to gabby in the second half.

dont think anyone was bad. carew was average until the last 15 but then he suddenly clicked into gear and looked dominant. ridiculous strength and hold up play to win the 2 penalties.

guzan had a massive miscommunication with cuellar in the first half and looked hesistant to come off his line on crosses, but Brad Snr always sticks to his line as well. difference is the defence know this and brad knows they will be heading it clear, so you dont see miscommunications. just down to experience and playing together. that will come for guzan. bit annoyed with ash for coming over to shout at him for messing up considering the amount of times he gave the ball away trying to do to much when he players in great positions to score

gabby was excellent in terms of hold up play, running the channels etc and showed great movement and header for the goal. shame he missed a couple of others but a 1 in 3 chance conversion is in line with other strikers.downing looked way more confident tonight: good movement, passing and he was picking up the ball and running with it.

we should have had it wrapped up by half time to be honest, and that would have meant we could rest a few like gabby who looked knackered and feeling his calf after 60 mins. but we are through and that is all that matters. have to be more clinical on sunday though

Was Guzan tethered to his goal line? He needs to grow some balls and command the box, seems like he's scared of getting caught out, doesn't trust himself.

Friedel plx

Watched a live stream at my desk so I had to take care of business several times during the match. I'm afraid it confirmed my fear about us. We struggle against teams that try to beat us up physically. Thankfully they were stupid enough to be obviously physical at key moments against Carew. There are several ways to deal with a team that hacks and bullies, but I'd like to see us adopt a better approach. Foul count was 12 -5 according to OS.

I didn't think it was a penalty live, but then I was a good hundred plus yards away and I'm a one eyed biased Villa fan with a grudge.

The tackle itself was a foul, but Warnock was fouled by Lee hitting him in the face before the tackle was made. I assume the ref didn't see that bit, rather than deciding it was a fair challenge. It looked quite deliberate, the way that Heinze used to do a rugby handoff every time someone ran past him, while looking the other way to make it seem accidental.

On seeing the replay, Lee's fist did make contact with Warnock's face.