• Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for gabby 71)
    • Delfouneso (for Heskey 76)
    • Sidwell (for A Young 82)

Good result and boost for the GD.

Gave Young the MOTM. Cant believe how many MOTM awards Downing got in the poll, he scored 2 (1 lucky) but was shocking before he scored.

This match showed the best and worst of Villa as an attcking side. We struggle to break teams down when they get players behind the ball, but as soon as we go in front we can play some great counter attack stuff.

Completely agree about the Downing point! It just shows you how a couple of goals and all else is forgotton. In the first half he was worse than dire (he wasn't the only one) it was getting to that stage where I could hardly bare to watch when he was on the ball. Yes, credit for slotting the crucial second goal in. And credit also for trying his luck from distance for the third and his second, and it naturally built his confidence from there on in! But truth be told, he is certainly not justifying the £12 million paid for him so far and I would personally say i've been very dissapointed from what i've seen of him.

Impressed with Ash today, he looked the only one interested in the first half. Despite giving ourselves a scare, I think today was a massive win because A. it's the last PL game before a Cup Final and it was very easy to be complacent in this game and focus more about 7 days time and B. coming off the back of a very tough run, these are exactly the games we NEED to be winning now to really push the other three clubs close for that fourth spot.

So great win and a massive three points and boost of confidence going into next week. Blues lost and Citeh and the Scousers dropped points so all in all, a very good day at the office!

Good attendance today, by the way. Live on TV, etc. I hope there's a big crowd for the Palace game. Anyone have any ideas how many tickets we've sold?

The General said they were expecting 29k.

I will never sit in the Upper Trinity again, bought a ticket there today to see what it was like and the amount of moaning is unreal.

The abuse Heskey was getting is absolutely pathetic, seriously have no idea why these people go to the football because they certainly don't seem to enjoy it.

Cracking result and let's hope for more of the same this coming week.

Hope the 2 goals will give Downing a bit of confidence, he's been poor of late.

He's been very disappointing, but the goals really did seem to make a big difference in how he was playing. Definitely more confident and adventurous once he'd scored.

I suppose he's had a difficult time with a long term injury and then trying to get fit and in form, but I hadn't been too impressed with him. If he can play a few games like most of today's second half, I'll be very happy with that.

After Burnley scored their first goal I thought - "Shit, this season is gunna end like last, i.e. Stoke". I left for work at HT and when I got in it was 3-1, and the funny thing is when Iwas driving into work I was like, "I bet it's gunna be like 4-1 when I pick the match up at work", well, wishful thinking and it was 3-1 actually! Point is this, last season with the team we had we woulda struggled to get a draw after Burnley scored, and now with the team and squad we have, we're turning it around and smashing them for 5-2.

I really do think we can get that 4th spot.

I missed both of Downing's goals, anyone got a link?

Great result, but reading the match thread it seemed like we looked a bit dodgy out there. But a win's a win, and we are still right in the thick of it. Hopefully the goals keep coming.

Good result in the Liverpool/Man City match, as well as SHA losing.

UTV!

Easy one

1st half was terrible with only one player actually turning up for us.

2nd half, they obviously had a rollecking, and more importantly, our forwards obviously had the pitch markings pointed out to them and told they are actually allowed to go within 12 yards of the goal - and it was a hell of a lot better.

Tad annoyed that yet again we let a sloppy goal in by switching off, its not the first time, and these silly errors could cost us in the long run.

But overall - you can't complain with a 5-2 victory.

One question -

How is the the MOTM even close ? - If you added up the other 25 players marks - it still wouldn't add up to Ashleys score - he was absolutely superb !

Friedel 6

Dunne 6

Cuellar 6

Warnock 6.5

Collins 6

Downing 6.5

A Young 8

Milner 8

Petrov 8

Agbonlahor 7.5

Heskey 7

Carew (for gabby 71) not on long enough

Delfouneso (for Heskey 76) not on long enough

Sidwell (for A Young 82) not on long enough

For me MOTM was Petrov, just. He was everywhere in the centre of the pitch, winning the ball time after time, he really held it together in the centre that gave us the platform to build on. Ash was probably our second best player, with Milner third. Gabby played a really good game too. Heskey did well but was playing too deep in the first half andDowning really did have a game of two halves coming good in the end. Warnok apart the defending was particularly lazy today but having said that the two goals apart (and one really was a last gasp consolation jobby after we'd largely switched to cba mode) Burnley really didn't offer that much

A strange but eventually pleasing performance.

thought by in large we were woeful, some real industry shown by the likes of Gabby, Ashley and Warnock. We looked alot better in the 2nd half when Gabby started running the channels more.

it stretched the play a little more and gave the midfield room to breath. Thought Burnley did a great job at stifling us in the first half but through hard work, we got a lucky break for the equaliser.

To me it was clear MON had some harsh words to say with the team at Half-Time, out five minutes before Burnley and the Ref.

It was clear that Laws had told his team to keep the ball for as long as they could, cause he'd anticipated that we'd come at them early on. It worked well for the first 10 minutes. Once we got in front Burnley had to come at us then and it played into our hands. A mad 15 minutes made the game safe. Shame about their 2nd goal but it was some good work from Cork and Warnock switched off, you could see how pissed off he was with it.

Not a lot to say about the first half so my thoughts are for 2nd half only.

I gave my MOTM to Petrov. That guy is class and looking at the poll i was shocked to see he had only 3 votes! He gets everywhere, breaks down play and starts it and from the negative thread started up on him by someone last week i think he is underrated.

He was our player of the year last year and has a better team around him but is just as good.

Its great to see Ash being up for the game lately though there are time he misses an easy pass to put in a wasted shot/cross

Heskey goal apart was not good, I dont want him playing but wouldn't be vocal towards him as i though the song the villa fans sung was funny but below the line. "4-1 and even Heskey scored"

Carew same old

Sidwell, did he even touch the ball? I really think 2 gingers on the pitch at the same time breaks the space time continuum :lol:

Milners passing was awesome and im sure he had a hand in most of the goals

Gabby: Great running but if he had put away all the one on ones that he had this season he would be top goalscorer

Collins: love the way he doesn't panic and hoof the ball, we gain so much from this. He also became my mates little girls favorite player because some one shouted to him when get the ball "I LOVE YOU COLLINS!!" He shouted back "AND I LOVE YOU TOO!!"

For me MOTM was Petrov, just. He was everywhere in the centre of the pitch, winning the ball time after time, he really held it together in the centre that gave us the platform to build on.

What the hell? Even the Petrov lovers could see he was pretty poor today, non-existant for much of the game and the amount of times their midfielders walked past him was getting ridicolous.

Good win after a poor first 55 minutes or so. Good to see us get a few goals as well. MOTM was Young for me. After he made that strong tackle first half he looked a different player, as did all our players the last half an hour.

What the hell? Even the Petrov lovers could see he was pretty poor today, non-existant for much of the game and the amount of times their midfielders walked past him was getting ridicolous.

Petrov had a shaky period in the second half but there are two players playing in our centre midfield and he was much better than the other for an hour today. Yes I am pleased Milner got 3 assists but there was no getting away from the fact he was poor for 60 minutes leaving Petrov with two or three around him.

For me MOTM was Petrov, just. He was everywhere in the centre of the pitch, winning the ball time after time, he really held it together in the centre that gave us the platform to build on.

I am no Petrov lover but he played excellent in the first half today I thought.