The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

I dont have iOS6 on my iPod Touch, but I understand Solihull and Stratford upon Avon (you know, the world famous home town of William Shakespeare) are missing from the map.

And who's **** daft idea was it to replace public transport stations with purple dots instead of their long established and instantly recognisable logos such as the British Rail double arrows or the London Underground roundel? Maybe Apple will get it right eventually, but there is no way on earth that maps were ready to be released to the public.

It's okay people. Google have released Google Maps for iOS.

But this is just stupid arrogance and petty from Apple, spending a fortune acquiring a company and launching some useless maps just because they don't like Google.

Grow up apple

I read they did it because Google refused to let apple put turn by turn Nav google maps onto iOs so google could distribute more Androids. SO apple waited till the 5 year contract was up and then came up with their own turn by turn Nav app and booted google maps off as a default app. You can still get google maps for it, but it still doesn't have turn by turn nav.

I've never heard that rumour. It's also highly unlikely since Google want more people using their free apps and utilities. Secondly as Google don't sell Android. It's a free open OS. Also there never has been a precedent for Google ever doing this. While Apple pretty much does these things non stop.

The truth is as simple as the cash made by selling sat nav apps. Why hurt app partners by letting google give it for free when you can charge for it. Then when everyone has the Satnav apps, then bring it in with your own new maps. This will let iphone users forgive your poor maps because you're giving them free turn by turn navigation.

It's very easy to see its Apple pulling all the strings here. It's also widely accepted by the tech press too.

Saw this elsewhere on the internet, but Apple have used the world famous (and classic) Swiss Railways clock design without permission. (link)

AlhcV.jpg

7ZDBYl.jpg

The_Rev sports one of those watches (that's my watch in the picture), so I have to admire Apple's impeccable taste but given they have just made such a song and dance over Samsung copying their designs doesnt this make them look utterly hypocritical?

I presume they will be hearing from Mondaine's solicitors in the morning, though I guess they can use a bit of that billion dollars to settle the case...

tumblr_manp81kSGx1rhptwbo1_1280.jpg

My paternal side's former summer house would be on this map, and I can attest that there's no land connection to Crane Beach from Coffin/Wingaersheek (technically Coffin Beach is the private portion where the summer house was and Wingaersheek is the public portion, but in the popular imagination, they're one and the same).

Google Maps map view of that area

They'll also invent a method so the phone knows when you're looking at the screen too.

Edit: I see they are Face to unlock and Smart Stay patents in one. So copy two features from rivals. The level of hypocrisy on Apples part to do with patents is neausieating

I see Samsung are pushing for an injunction on the iphone 5 because of LTE. I read they own pretty much all the patents on the technology. But since they're not an American company....

Question though, would it be worth Google holding off on Google Maps on iOS for a few months? Enough time for Apples Maps to burn bridges with its customers.

I'm gonna test out the new maps at lunch on a coworkers iphone 4S. I hear it's really bad in London.

I'm gonna test out the new maps at lunch on a coworkers iphone 4S. I hear it's really bad in London.

I had a play with it this morning.

It's probably worse than you think.

I don't understand how so many people have signed off on it as being ready for release. It's horribly broken.

Guys you need to test out the maps, astounded me how bad it was. First test was searching for a boots in centre of London. It pointed us to a random house. We then used Google maps on iOS 5 to find a boots. We tested a few other things and almost all were wrong. How Apple allowed this to be released??

It seems a lot of iphones are turning up with scuffs and chips out of the anodised bezel. My mate has one and reckons it scratches really easily.

Just been and checked the maps app on someones Iphone 4.

I dont think Steve Jobs would have signed off on this.

Conor, Google have submitted a maps application for IOS and are not expecting Apple to rush it through. Now if they care about their users they should get it out pronto while they try to fix what can only be described as something which in most peoples eyes isnt even good enough for a beta version.

Google will want it out so they can re-inforce with Apple users what is good about google and by association android.

Â