Disappointed in Carew

Poise

Would you sell Carew in the summer?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell Carew in the summer?

• Yes
    • No

he just seems to enjoy giving the opposition free-kicks.

Unfair imo. Referees treat him differently because of his size.

Quite a few people just say this because he is big. Just like Palace say it about Lee, Bolton say it about Kevin Davies. The facts are, people say this just as more of an excuse.

Just look at the fouls given against him yesterday, every single time, the defender gets infront of him and with two hands he just pushes them too the side and somehow believes he will get away with it.

He's shit, yes but my God he gave the crowd/team a lift the way he ran about, chasing everything and winning the battles. If Carew scored goals regularly, I wouldn't mind if his overall game was shight but he doesn't and doesn't like he will either.

Carew is suffering from not having a regular run in the team. Last season he never went more than 3 games for us without scoring, which is a brilliant type of player to have in your team. Much more use than somebody whose biggest strength is laying off the ball in the centre circle.

He's shit, yes but my God he gave the crowd/team a lift the way he ran about, chasing everything and winning the battles. If Carew scored goals regularly, I wouldn't mind if his overall game was shight but he doesn't and doesn't like he will either.

Carew is suffering from not having a regular run in the team. Last season he never went more than 3 games for us without scoring, which is a brilliant type of player to have in your team. Much more use than somebody whose biggest strength is laying off the ball in the centre circle.

I've already stated, He had a run of 9 Premiership games in a row and scored 1 goal and had 1 very good game (Bolton)

Sorry, please tell me in what way a run of 9 starts in a row (2 months) isn't a good run of games. Just for example, Emile Heskey started 8 games in a row last year when he first signed and scored 1 goal and everyone labelled him shit...

So please, go on.

I think this highlights beautifully the problems at this club, people tend to have such bloody short memories

Its ok clammering for all these big name players to come to the club to "take us to the next level", but what happens in their third season in when they have an off season through injury, loss of form or being kept out of the squad due to another players boost in form, are we supposed to bin them off and start again because they are now rubbish?

Christiano Ronaldo is not having a particularly good season at Real, its just a good job he's not playing for us as there would be fans on here demanding he be sold due to his poor attitude and being past it.

Players qualities do not change from season to season, only their form does, JC was just as lazy and committed just as many fouls in previous seasons, only it was overlooked because his form was better.

JC is not perfect in any way, and would I like to see us rely on him to get the goals for us next season as our main striker, not on your life, but it just suprises me how quick people are to turn on a player who has done the business for us in previous seasons, when there is a number of players at our club who have done nothing since they arrived and dont look like doing anything any time soon either

No wonder we get labled as fickle

Let me just pick you up on a few points.

1. Ronaldo not having a good season? 17 goals in 17 games isn't bad.

2. John Carew is 30, there's no stage for improvement.

3. This is the longest time he's ever been at a club, there's a reason for that.

4. Errr last season and the season before, John Carew in most games was good and even when he wasn't at his best, he still worked and was at least a nuisance, this season he's been so bad.

He'll be 31 next season, he's been very poor this season and sorry for thinking that he might just not get any better given his age and history of clubs and ability on the pitch this season.

I think this highlights beautifully the problems at this club, people tend to have such bloody short memories

Its ok clammering for all these big name players to come to the club to "take us to the next level", but what happens in their third season in when they have an off season through injury, loss of form or being kept out of the squad due to another players boost in form, are we supposed to bin them off and start again because they are now rubbish?

Christiano Ronaldo is not having a particularly good season at Real, its just a good job he's not playing for us as there would be fans on here demanding he be sold due to his poor attitude and being past it.

Players qualities do not change from season to season, only their form does, JC was just as lazy and committed just as many fouls in previous seasons, only it was overlooked because his form was better.

JC is not perfect in any way, and would I like to see us rely on him to get the goals for us next season as our main striker, not on your life, but it just suprises me how quick people are to turn on a player who has done the business for us in previous seasons, when there is a number of players at our club who have done nothing since they arrived and dont look like doing anything any time soon either

No wonder we get labled as fickle

You make a good point Dalian, but I guess this is just the nature of fans forums. If everyone was as positive as me then this site wouldn't be worth coming on as there would be no debate at all!

I do get frustrated when we appear to turn on our own players, but I guess a healthy argument helps us all blow off steam.

By the way, I've just been on a Real Madrid fans forum site on a thread called: Boo! Whistle! Jeer! The Cristiano Ronaldo thread! :lol:

3. This is the longest time he's ever been at a club, there's a reason for that.

4. Errr last season and the season before, John Carew in most games was good and even when he wasn't at his best, he still worked and was at least a nuisance, this season he's been so bad.

He'll be 31 next season, he's been very poor this season and sorry for thinking that he might just not get any better given his age and history of clubs and ability on the pitch this season.

Ok i'll give u the bit on Ronaldo, I foolishly listened to what a "pundit" said the other day and took it as gospel :oops:

Replace that bit with Ash then, not entirely set the world on fire this season has he, and I have seen people on here saying they would be indifferent if he was sold

I agree JC is not getting any younger and will not improve, but there are higher candidates to have your fury vented at than him, he does a job.

I'm very disappointed in Carew this season, but I wouldn't want him to be sold if there's any chance we can get the real Carew back.

He's a quality player on his day, we just need him to have those days more regularly. I will leave it to MON to judge whether he still has those days in him.

Ok i'll give u the bit on Ronaldo, I foolishly listened to what a "pundit" said the other day and took it as gospel :oops:

Replace that bit with Ash then, not entirely set the world on fire this season has he, and I have seen people on here saying they would be indifferent if he was sold

I agree JC is not getting any younger and will not improve, but there are higher candidates to have your fury vented at than him, he does a job.

Yes but Ashley Young is younger and is still a threat, he still goes past players, puts in good delivery, no he hasn't re-captured his form of 07-08, he's playing at about 70% of what he can for me, Carew is at about 25%. Young is still young and learning his way in football and hasn't actually been that bad, he's been 7/10 for most of the season instead of the usual best player. Carew generally has been our worst player in most starts given to him.

There are other candidates I vent my fury at, he's not the only player I want to see sold or who isn't performing well in my opinion.

I don't see what job that is.

I've already stated, He had a run of 9 Premiership games in a row and scored 1 goal and had 1 very good game (Bolton)

Sky Sports "Expert " Panel have an average rating this season of

Carew 6.3

Heskey 6.2

Fans ratings are

Carew 5.9

Heskey 5.4

not conclusive in it's own right granted , but would suggest that on paper Carew has been perceived to be more effective than Heskey

He had a run of 9 Premiership games in a row and scored 1 goal and had 1 very good game

when exactly did this 9 game Premiership run start and finish ? ..naughty naughty

anyhow , disregarding your being economical with the truth ...

Blues - Came on and created the winner

Portsmouth - Played OK

Chelsea - put in a decent performance

Man City he worked quite hard without ever really being a goal threat

Bolton - Destroyed them

Stoke - came on scored the winner

Even on Sunday he did OK when he came on ....

now if we judge them on being strikers then on the whole they've both failed ..if we judge them on playing a role for the team then Carew has done far better than 1 good game this season ..

This thread is **** ridiculous. Imagine being Carew or any other player and coming on here and reading this muck.

He made a few chances at goal vs. Palace. He receives the ball very well at his feet when it is given to him that way, he holds off defenders well. He holds up play and allows other players to get in good positions. My only complaint is that he fouls too much when he is trying to flick the ball on (which I'm not a fan of anyways, we should be passing to his feet and forgetting the long ball flick on, teams already know we do this and expect it, rarely even works well).

So No, don't sell Carew in the summer. He is a good player and has already stated he wants to finish his career at the Villa.

How is the thread ridiculous? He is the wrong side of 30 and has been absolutely dismal whenever I have watched him this season.

Maybe you are watching a different John Carew than us? However, the one I constantly watch fits the criticism he has received here. It is the same thing with this man at every club he goes to. He's done it constantly throughout his career, and won't simply change for the better because he has / had a good rapport with the Villa fans.

So No, don't sell Carew in the summer. He is a good player and has already stated he wants to finish his career at the Villa.

Not what I have heard. He is the first one out of the changing room after the match apparently to get down to London for his night out.

I think he has lost interest and is not really the sort of player that will perform if he is not first choice or thereabouts.

Last season - first name on team sheet. This season - poor and uninterested.

I think he should be able to take a bit of stick on a Villa web site if he is getting his £40k+ a week!! Might even be a kick up the backside that he needs!

If it was upto me, I'd sell both and and buy two more strikers. However if I had to keep one it would be Heskey, for the reasons that.

I think we need a goalscorer and I don't think having Carew, Agbonlahor, a goalscorer, Delfouneso would work as all none of them look to really link the play up and drop deeper for the ball. Therefore if one drops deep, it'd be wasting the talents of Gabby or the goalscorer or whatever. I'd personally like to see a number 10 bought, a clever striker and a natural goalscorer. However like I said, 1 goes, it'd be Carew just so we have Heskey who can drop back defensively and a different sort of striker.

Infact, sorry, I was wrong. It was actually 9 starts out of 10 games.

Portsmouth, Blackburn, Man City, Chelsea, Wolves, West Ham, Bolton, Burnley, Tottenham....other game started was Liverpool.

As a team, I think we've done better with Heskey. He's started I believe 12 games this season and while he's been on the pitch in these games, we've only conceded 3 goals. (Wigan and Everton)

Infact, weirdly enough, when Heskey has been on the pitch, we haven't conceded in our last like 9 games.

If it was upto me, I'd sell both and and buy two more strikers. However if I had to keep one it would be Heskey, for the reasons that.

I think we need a goalscorer and I don't think having Carew, Agbonlahor, a goalscorer, Delfouneso would work as all none of them look to really link the play up and drop deeper for the ball. Therefore if one drops deep, it'd be wasting the talents of Gabby or the goalscorer or whatever. I'd personally like to see a number 10 bought, a clever striker and a natural goalscorer. However like I said, 1 goes, it'd be Carew just so we have Heskey who can drop back defensively and a different sort of striker.

Infact, sorry, I was wrong. It was actually 9 starts out of 10 games.

Portsmouth, Blackburn, Man City, Chelsea, Wolves, West Ham, Bolton, Burnley, Tottenham....other game started was Liverpool.

As a team, I think we've done better with Heskey. He's started I believe 12 games this season and while he's been on the pitch in these games, we've only conceded 3 goals. (Wigan and Everton)

Infact, weirdly enough, when Heskey has been on the pitch, we haven't conceded in our last like 9 games.

I'm with you on the if 1 goes get rid of JC first BUT I really want to see Heskey go as well. Not because he is a bad footballer, but because I do not see him as a link player/third CM'er. He should be the furthest striker forward in a pair and MON won't do that because that's where he plays Gabby. I still think Tuncay would be the ideal partner for Gabby and would love to see:

Gabby

Nathan

Tuncay

Vagner Love

Â