PL: Burnley h Match Thread 2010/02/21 14:00

limpid

Captain Obvious here......, but we really need to spank a team or two in the next few games.....we have the lowest goal difference of the top 7 and improving that with good wins is like an extra point come season end with everyone so close..

Captain Obvious here......, but we really need to spank a team or two in the next few games.....we have the lowest goal difference of the top 7 and improving that with good wins is like an extra point come season end with everyone so close..

:nod:

Maybe Carew will bother turn up and we'll play like we did against Bolton... or maybe not.

Should win but will the players have the cup final in the back of their minds when going in for a 50/50 tackle?

I dont think this is in the 'make-up' for players like Petrov and Milner.

However Downing has been ducking out of challenges in the past few games ,although I do relaise that he isnt the most physical player anyway. Same with Ashley Young.

This has to be a comfortable 3 points, but as always we will make it difficult for ourselves. I'm saying 2-1 Villa, they gave us a good game at Turf Moor and it took a cameo from Downing to salvage a point, I know they're a completely different prospect away from home, but it will still be difficult.

It's certainly very tight at the moment. A 3-0 win would put us above Man City and in the top four... for about an hour.

Even then, we could be back down to 7th again just after six o'clock if Man City draw with Liverpool and Spurs win at Wigan. We would need to win 4-0 or more to be sure of moving up at least one place.

Whatever... The main thing is of course to win the game, but a few goals for a change would improve our chances that little bit more.

As has become customary now i will forcast another defeat due to the fact that i get the vast majority of football forcasts wrong. Would love to see a great performance from us, but as already stated, just a little worried about the attitude of the players so close to the cup final?

Okay, most of you probably dislike it but it bought a smile to my face and the fact it's probably true. (Yes it's just light hearted fun..)

*We join the lads getting ready for their match against Burnley*

MON: OK lads we've been here before, Burnley are a.....

*A loud roar is heard outside the dressing room*

MON: What in the world?

*The door crashes open and Brian Jensen storms in, he is snarling, kicking chairs about and knocking over flipcharts, Sidwell is holding up a chair with the legs pointed at 'the beast'*

Sidwell: What the hell is that thing!?

Delph: I dunno, but if I can kick it, I can kill it.

*Delph lurches forward with a grin on his face*

MON: No Fabian! Get back here.

*Delph frowns, Brian Laws appears in the doorway*

Laws: Brian! Brian!

*Laws grabs the large chain around Jensen's neck and tugs him toward the door.*

Laws: Sorry fellas, he gets a bit 'flappy' when we're away from home.

MON: Get it out of my dressing room!

*Laws and Jensen leave*

MON: Right with the fixtures piling up I'm going to have to rotate the squad.

*MON points to his squad and formation on a whiteboard, Ashley Young raises his hand*

MON: Ashley?

A.Young: Boss that's the same squad we always play.

MON: Oh but is it Ashley? As you can see I have swapped James and Stilyan in the middle, James will play in the left central position, Stilyan in the right.

Milner: That's what we already pleey like.

MON: Oh.

*MON turns to the whiteboard rubbing out Milner and Petrov's names and swapping them around*

MON: There, and just to shake things up around the 70 or 80 minute mark I'll bring on Steve or Fabian, they'll never see it coming.

*Delph mutters aloud as he jots on a notepad.*

Delph: (70th minute ..... Kick Eagles) Gotcha boss.

MON: Hang on, no kicking.

Delph: (...and Elliot)

MON: Wait what are you writing there?

*Delph clutches his notepad to his chest*

Delph: Nowt boss.

*MON returns to his team talk*

Delph: (...Especially Eagles)

I can see Burnley getting a draw tomorrow. Would expect a win but expecting things as a villa fan is dangerous. The fact that Owen Coyle has left Burnley makes them weaker than the last time we played so they will probably sit back.