General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

Again General, I did point out all this uncertainty is no good for the club and our CAPTAIN has just come out and said the very same! We have CEO is so far from knowing were in a mess and seems to be waiting for KM, we do not want him as manager and even my 4year old can see he doesn't want it but why can't our board? Very dark days are back!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi General,

I've got a quick question. Are you all trying to drag out the appointment of our new manager so that he doesn't have time to sign anyone? We are in a mess right now and we need a new and proven manager in asap. It would be nice if that person could bring in a player or two before the season starts, however it seems that you are all trying to stop whoever it will be from doing that....

General

I followed the Villa since the days in the 3rd division so I have seen many ups and downs and for many years purchased season tickets. During that time I have never seen Villa as rudderless as it is now.

We have an owner who never speaks to us direct and has very little experience in running a football club, a CEO who has less experience at running anything and appears to be a bean counter, a caretaker manager who appears to be very confused about himself and this shows in his team.

RL has done a lot to take Villa forward but I believe we are sliding fast down the slippery slope.

I suggest either RL brings in a top football CEO and a top manager who he sells up and let some else have a go.

Hi General,

There are some massive over-reactions in this thread (among some well balanced points of view also). I personally do not subscribe to the view that 2 defeats in a week means that Randy's 4 years of good hard work is gone however, this is the nature of the beast it seems. Fans, not just Villa fans, are fickle and in 2 months time after we have riden this rough time this will all be a distant memory.

However, that said, I can sympathsise with the unhappy group of supporters because it is extremely frustrating watching Villa fall at the feet of two below average teams who put 9 goals past us when they barely even have 9 chances to score. To say we have crumbled is a massive understatment and you probably wouldn't have to be a psychic to know that should we of bought in a new manager sooner than we have then these results would have probably been much better and we would be in the Europe League group stages.

Still, using the past we learn to live in the present, but build to innovate our future. Let's start being innovative by getting a new manager in ASAP.

Rgds,

VillaLion.

Hello General,

Why is it that our CEO Paul Faulkner never speaks to the media? is this company policy? Given Mr Lerner's obvious reluctance to conduct interviews, it would seem essential that our CEO is able to convey information, especially at a critical time like now. I'm genuinely surprised at the LACK of information coming out from our club at a senior level. It is my opinion that KM has been treated a little unfairly and appears to be carrying all the responsibility to relay information, when in fact he would be best served trying to put out a winning side given we are missing 5/6 members of our first team management set up. Surely PF could answer questions regarding the clubs position on appointing a new manager?

Finally, if the club knew they were going to wait until after the Everton game to begin interviewing candidates (This has been mentioned by KM several times) why on earth not just come out and say so?

I still support all the good work that is being done, but now find myself becoming frustrated and a little sceptical as to the transparency of our club. Is it THAT difficult to communicate with the fans and keep us informed. It's great that you take time to post on here, but let's face it you're limited with what you're able to say and internet message boards are only a small percentage of our fan base. What are the majority of fans that don't post on here getting told?

Not good enough!

Hi General,

I was fuming last night but after a good nights sleep and a good breakfast I'm still fuming

The cost of my season ticket and the season tickets for my 2 kids is probably proportionate to the money Randy has invested in Aston Villa...however as a fan of too many years my sacrifice and my hard earned cash will be belittled with you commenting that Randy has invested this, that and the other...

I agree Randy has achieved many things at our club, I am still 100% behind Randy but is Randy still 100% behind me as a fan, the evidence would suggest no.

In terms of a great Manager, there is one available that we should go and get now...MARTIN O'NEILL...give him what he wants and get him back..

Can you not see what he has to deal with? the pressure he was under, he took us to a challenging team, he had to build a team from scratch, he made mistakes but this was probably more down to availability than choice. Give him what he wants and get him back for the love of god!!!

My question is, does Randy understand now what's he's lost?

Hi General,

Its not often I comment on your thread but I have to say that these guys who have commented so far on your thread have a point. So far I have been thrilled with the progress we have made while Mr Lerner has been in charge. But this is his chance for him to take centre stage and do something that he really wants to do with the club. His stewardship is now at a critical stage of our development and progression and the wrong move could undo the 4-5 years of hard work. Some fans have come on here and commented that it doesn't take 2 weeks to appoint a manager, I have to disagree with them as there have been a number of cases where chairman have taken their time, and been successful. What I do expect is the board to be at the final stages of appointing the right manager for the job. Unfortunately MON has gone, bringing him back as 99% of the fans know is not the way forward and if the rumours are set to be true as to why he walked then I fully back Randy and the board. This is the time now to get a manager with great pedigree.

General, what action are you taking to ensure that Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor's contracts are renewed before next summer, when they have only one year left and there will be plenty of suiters? Is the top priority to get a manager that install these (and other) players with confidence that Aston Villa is the right club for the future?

And what does the club think about the future of the following players: Carew, Friedel, Sidwell, Reo Coker. All their contracts are going out this summer, and will Randy Lerner be prepared to fund their replacements?

Hi General,

It's the first time posting on this section but as with many fans i feel it is my duty to air my grievances and as you are the only 'voice of the club' who can get back to us it is unfortunate that you will have to hear them. You've chosen to put yourself in a position to do so (which is appreciated by many including myself) but in the same way that we shall heap praise on both yourself and Mr Lerner as the club have progressed you will, unfortunately, have to listen to the flip side of the coin in times of trouble.

As fans we have seen the following at the start of the current campaign:

1. Our best player sold (for the second time in as many seasons)

2. Out talismanic manager walk 5 days before the start of the new season (jury is still out as to who shoulders the blame for this one until both sides of the story are heard)

3. One of the most abysmal away performances of the last 10 years at the hands of a newly promoted club.

4. Dumped out of Europe at the first hurdle yet again with yet another abysmal (defensive) performance and seeing last year’s hard word pissed away.

5. As far as we can tell an apparent reluctance by the board to appoint a replacement manager before the close of the transfer window (although this is opinion and not fact)

6. Discontent in the ranks as proven by the words of our captain last night.

7. A caretaker manager in charge who is, with all due respect to Kevin, not up to the job at hand. Excellent coach, rubbish manager.

8. Poor, poor performances by the very 'fringe' players who pleaded with the former manager for a chance to play and have repaid the club and fans by playing like pub players (last night)

There are countless other problems apparent looking from the outside as a fan of our beloved club which need addressing but firstly the appointment of a top manager which will address a number of the above issues.

As a 'fan' yourself i hope you can forgive the ill feeling directed at yourself and other board members at present but unfortunately it comes with the territory.

I look forward to heaping praise on both yourself and Randy in the not too distant future.

Yours

A Villa fan in distress

Hi General, Hope you are well and dealing with some of the what I percieve as over the top panic stricken garbage coming out of some peoples mouths, well just be glad they were not watching your back in a fire fight.

My question is simple, have we using any outside competent advice for choosing a new manager?

Without telling the Mods how to do their job, they do an exceptional job under difficult circumstances, (shame Kevin MacDonald cant do the same!), does the Generals topic not need a little tidying up?!

How many ridiculous posts, like this example below, does the man need to see before he decides posting on the forum isnt worth the hassle?

Thanks. I've deleted six posts from this thread today.

The General has stated more than once that he does not object to questions, good or bad. The moderation line for this thread is that we allow questions (and occasional comments). We will edit or delete abusive posts. We will delete posts which contain a normal sentence with a question mark at the end.

If the General was to ask us to change this position then we will reconsider, but otherwise it won't change. Frankly, I'm surprised the General continues to reply when people ask him the same questions again and again rather than using the search function at the top of the page.

Please do not continue this conversation in this thread. Start a new thread or PM a mod if you would like to discuss moderation as per the posting guidelines.

General

The theme from Villa fans I have spoken to and what I have read on this thread is that we applaud and welcome your comments and views... this is something which we have never had historically... so thank you for your continued input.

There are some people on here who appear to have short memories, and have conveniently forgot the great work done behind the scenes on improving the Match day experience, Holte Suite & Pub redevelopment, upgrade to Bodymoor heath etc... all of this have improved the perception and standing of the club..

Ultimately however the success of the club is measured on the pitch, and with the perceived lack of activity on the Management Appointment front is rapidly undoing all of the good work that has been embedded over the last few years. In the space of 2 weeks we appear to have gone backwards by 3 years... and this season is going to be one of survival, and not building on the success & prgress we have made.... its just very disappointing & frustrating.

General,

I'm not one to post regularly to you - however recent events have made me want to ask the following questions:

1) When MON unexpectedly walked out, was a short list of candidates drawn up to replace him?

2) Have any of those candidates been approached/interviewed?

3) I could see the appeal in 'promoting' Kevin MacDonald but it is plainly obvious this will not work. What else was considered during his 'trial' period?

4) Kevin MacDonald has indicated that no one will be interviewed for the managers post until post Everton - that only leaves a bank holiday and 18hrs of the transfer window remaining. Are there any plans to add to the squad regardless of their being no manager in place???

Thanks

General, I've been supporting Villa for almost 50 years and next to my family it's my greatest passion. I'm experienced enough to know that knee jerk reactions very rarely acheive the desired result.

I understand that our fans are frustrated by the happenings of the last couple of weeks, but what is important is not the last couple of results or even the next couple of results. The real issue that faces Randy and the board is making the right managerial team appointment to take us forward over the next few seasons.

There were thirty thousand of us there last night General and there'll be 35,000 plus at VP on sunday. Villa fans are in it for the long haul so please ignore the vociferous shouts for "action now" in favour of taking "the right action" when that becomes possible.

My very best wishes to you and Randy and Paul, not just for the next few days and weeks but for the next few years.

General I believe that the investment Randy has made into the club in the last four years has been in the form of loans. Can you tell me if this is true. Also can you advise why he took this option instead of through additional share equity?