General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

Hi Gen

Just to add to the whole shirt release fiasco, i posted a comment your thread 12 months ago about how disappointed i was that the shirt was being released late as i like to buy one for my holidays and so i see nothing has changed. I've just returned from one holiday and i'm due to go away again at the end of August and i still won't be able to wear this season's top. The club really have lost an awful amount of possible sales because of this . It's sad.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree about the late kit dates being a massive gaffe considering most people would wear the kit the most in the summer, brining it out as the summer comes to a close isn't great!

Let's see if we can learn some serious lessons General because ulitmately the club are losing a lot of money via shirt sales due to this.

Hi General,

This may have been asked before so apologies if so. I am just wondering if there are any plans to release a Villa iPhone app? I notice a lot of other clubs have an official app and I'm sure a Villa app would go down a treat with our fans who own an iPhone.

or instead of just catering to the apple cultists, maybe make one that can be used by all smartphone users? as an iphone app wouldnt be that great on my htc desire :winkold:

also, ill add my name to the list of people annoyed by the kit release farce, what an absolute joke. should have been sorted out really.

have to agree about the late release of the kit general,just been back to brum for a visit to my dad and would have liked to get both tops home and away but due to them not being available i obviously couldnt and as im not willing to pay the costs to send them to belgium i wont be getting them now even though i think they are both great tops :( maybe next time the kits change we can get them out a bit sooner im sure you would see the profits from the sales straight away

all the best

paul(belgium-brummie)

Totally agree about the late kit dates being a massive gaffe considering most people would wear the kit the most in the summer, brining it out as the summer comes to a close isn't great!

Let's see if we can learn some serious lessons General because ulitmately the club are losing a lot of money via shirt sales due to this.

I have to agree with this statement General, not only is it frustrating for fans like myself who want to purchase one of the kits, but more importantly it's costing the club money, and means the club don't have an extra bit of cash coming in over those summer months when there aren't any matches on at Villa Park.

i also agree about the dates for the kits,having to wait till late september is a joke and every season its been getting worse since Nike came on board with Villa,and i can also see massive drops in sales due to this and the design of the kits in general.many fans including myself are not at all happy..

Hi General....if Martin O'Neill doesn't sign any players, can you beat him with a large stick for us?

Many thanks

Rob ;-)

I agree with Rob, in fact if Martin O'Neill doesn't sign any players, can WE beat him with a large stick?

Just kidding.

Hope you are having some quality time off and I am really looking forward to reading your take on the numerous posts regarding the kit release date.

General, I would recommend that you remain out of contact on hush hush maneuvers at the present time. Life here in the midlands is going on happily, it's only the fraught world of internet users that is getting in a twist.

For what it's worth I'm firmly in the camp of the "sell the players

that are clearly not going to play for us although they are earning considerable wages," and only buy a new player if he is so good that he is going to play a very important part for Villa.

Otherwise let's use a few of our very talented young players to develop an exciting footballing team over the next few years. If it means that we don't achieve much for a couple of seasons then that's fine by me. Regards to Randy and I look forward to seeing you at Villa Park next season.

General this isn't a moan just to advise. I recieved my Valencia tickets this morning for me, my step dad and brother. However, they were sent as 3 different letters to the same address. In the past, they have sent me a single ticket bundle for all 3. Now I know the cost is neglegable for 1 person but if it's happening to other people as well, the unnecessary cost of sending more than 1 letter when 1 is suffucient would soon mount up. Just thought you ought to know.

Just watching the Emirates Tournament on the box and i was wondering General if it would be possible for Villa to host a tournament of its kind?

Surely it would be fantastic preperation for the side, playing a tournament at home and also the revenue would be fantastic for the club.

Well, there's the question... revenue.

Getting Milan, Celtic and Lyon to Villa Park would cost, say, £2-3 million in appearance fees (it was about £2 million at Arsenal and we'd have to pay more).

So assuming we could sell 40,000 tickets for each day - 80,000 total - at £25 then we'd break even at £2 million. And then, yes, maybe we could make money from TV/sponsorship.

But do you really think we could sell 40,000 tickets for £25? We don't often sell 40,000 and our matchday prices are often lower than that. And our fans still grumble about having to pay it. It's a lot easier for Arsenal, who sell out 60,000 each week at £40-£50 per ticket, to make money off what is a 'discount' to their fans.

Guaranteed revenue is more from getting paid to play in things, ie pre-season tournaments elsewhere. The reason Arsenal don't do this is because Wenger won't do pre-season tours, just a training camp in Austria, so they had to come up with the Emirates Cup. But I'm not sure it would suit us economically.

General Krulak here:

1. I am VERY sorry I have been off the site for such a protracted amount of time. I will not bore you with all the issues I have been dealing with but suffice it to say that I am 100% back in battery and ready to go. I am sorry I have left you all hanging a bit.

2. I am sure most of you are fully aware of what has driven the lateness of the kit but just to make sure that we are all up to date, the issue was driven by our new sponsorship and the length of time it took to nail down that partnership. Negotiations on such a deal always take some time and the beginning of those negotiations were a little later than anyone would have liked. The partnership is a good one and worth the wait...even if it did put Nike into a position where we are late getting the shirt out. It is easy to point fingers and say that we blew this but that would not be true. The new partnership opportunity came up at a specific time...we saw it as something valuable to the Club and we went into negotiations...we completed those negotiations as fast as possible and then turned the info over to Nike. Obviously, they need time to produce the kit. We are not the only one a bit late...the Spurs are in a similar situation. We recognize the potential for loss of revenue from kit sales but the value of the partnership made it imperative that we proceed as we did...even though it was not perfect. Each of you would have made the same decision with the same set of facts.

3. Randy is on his way back to the UK and will be spending the majority of his time at Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath. He is as committed to the Club and Fans as I have ever seen him. His passion is sky high and the amount of time he has spent in the UK this summer should show that to everyone. Our goal has not changed....yes, the playing field has altered a bit with the amount of money being thrown around but we believe that all will even out and success will go to those who play their cards smartly and with a view towards financial wisdom.

General Krulak here:

..yes, the playing field has altered a bit with the amount of money being thrown around but we believe that all will even out and success will go to those who play their cards smartly and with a view towards financial wisdom.

Great words General! Sometimes its easy to get pulled into the trend of 'big spending', but I am sure good things will come to the Villa who continue to always do the 'right thing' for the fans and for the team. It makes me proud to be a Villain.

Keep up the good work guys, and I look forward to the new season.

UTV

Hi General

Hope you had a good close season and enjoyed the World cup.

Do you know if the club will be selling tickets for the North Stand lower this season or is it season ticket only in that part of the ground?

Cheers in advance!

General glad to have you back on VillaTalk again, thanks for the info about the shirt release date, one point that wasn't addressed is that we're having a new home and away kit again this year.

Why isn't the home kit going to be used for two years? I understand the reasoning when we change manufacturer or sponsor, but we're with Nike next year and FXPro, so it just seems having two new kits next year is a bit harsh on the fans pockets.

Hi General

Hope you had a good close season and enjoyed the World cup.

Do you know if the club will be selling tickets for the North Stand lower this season or is it season ticket only in that part of the ground?

Cheers in advance!

I can answer that - yes they will; I got a seat for my Dad for the Wet Spam game

Just watching the Emirates Tournament on the box and i was wondering General if it would be possible for Villa to host a tournament of its kind?

Surely it would be fantastic preperation for the side, playing a tournament at home and also the revenue would be fantastic for the club.

Well, there's the question... revenue.

Getting Milan, Celtic and Lyon to Villa Park would cost, say, £2-3 million in appearance fees (it was about £2 million at Arsenal and we'd have to pay more).

So assuming we could sell 40,000 tickets for each day - 80,000 total - at £25 then we'd break even at £2 million. And then, yes, maybe we could make money from TV/sponsorship.

But do you really think we could sell 40,000 tickets for £25? We don't often sell 40,000 and our matchday prices are often lower than that. And our fans still grumble about having to pay it. It's a lot easier for Arsenal, who sell out 60,000 each week at £40-£50 per ticket, to make money off what is a 'discount' to their fans.

Guaranteed revenue is more from getting paid to play in things, ie pre-season tournaments elsewhere. The reason Arsenal don't do this is because Wenger won't do pre-season tours, just a training camp in Austria, so they had to come up with the Emirates Cup. But I'm not sure it would suit us economically.

Factor in advertisement/sponsorship money as well as money spent by fans at and around the ground too.......so long as we didn't lose money I can't see it being anything other than positive as it will help raise the profile of the club which is invaluable.